RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Buying my first road bike and need some advice.

Hey guys my names Liam and I'm going to buy my first road bike sometime towards the end of this year. I'm not new to cycling, I've raced and done freestyle BMX since I was a kid but I'm sick of breaking my body and I'm looking to get into something more long term like road cycling and racing. I'm 22yrs old, 5 foot 7 and weigh 59kg, so physiologically I'm climber and I'm looking for a bike to help me churn out serious watts per kg uphill.
    I've done some reading and two bikes the Cervelo R3 and R5 have stood out aesthetically and price wise as the kind of bike I'm looking for. I know a lot of you guys rag on mass produced bikes for one reason or another and that in a perfect world everyone would have their own individualized hand crafted Italian frame that no one else in the world has, but realistically due to price that will never be the case.
    I'm just looking for some comments and criticisms about the R3 and R5 and/or some recommendations of other bikes that would suit me.

Thanks heaps

Liam.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Henge Beat View Post
    Hey guys my names Liam and I'm going to buy my first road bike sometime towards the end of this year. I'm not new to cycling, I've raced and done freestyle BMX since I was a kid but I'm sick of breaking my body and I'm looking to get into something more long term like road cycling and racing. I'm 22yrs old, 5 foot 7 and weigh 59kg, so physiologically I'm climber and I'm looking for a bike to help me churn out serious watts per kg uphill.
    I've done some reading and two bikes the Cervelo R3 and R5 have stood out aesthetically and price wise as the kind of bike I'm looking for. I know a lot of you guys rag on mass produced bikes for one reason or another and that in a perfect world everyone would have their own individualized hand crafted Italian frame that no one else in the world has, but realistically due to price that will never be the case.
    I'm just looking for some comments and criticisms about the R3 and R5 and/or some recommendations of other bikes that would suit me.

Thanks heaps

Liam.
    I think that we all are susceptible to being enamored by a name, instead of true value and quality. Cervelo makes great bikes! However IMHO, they're no better than Cannondale, Trek, Giant, Time, Pinarello, etc... You cut yourself short when you limit your options. Now if you're just attracted to a specific design or color, then aesthetics is a completely different matter, altogether. We like whatever we like! It is what it is! There can be no possible explanation for that one!
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mass produced or not, it's the fit that will make or break you. Without experience in road bike geometry, it would help to keep an open mind. Test riding demo bikes in your size is a good start in order to get a feel of what's to come. The perfect bike is the one that works for you regardless of brand (or price). Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I am double your age but similar in build ;-) I went with a Cannondale CAAD 10 with the 105's and I found it (ok my LBS found it) in a 52. Seems like there are a lot of 54's in the market so be careful in what they put you on. NOTHING beats a good demo day and I mean one where you really ride the bike in near real conditions - not just 5 laps around a parking lot - go to your LBS and see if / when a demo day is coming up and ride ride ride. The best bike for you is the one that is most comfortable & that fits your body not one that the LBS has in stock looking to move. Good luck to you - I also opted to road bike after one too many OTB's on the mountain bike and have never regretted the decision!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Liam, welcome to the board.

If you are new to road riding, you'll find your tastes will/can quickly change. Don't try to find your ultimate bike right out of the gate. Get one that fits, even if old skool. Wear a set of tires out on it first and trust me.....you'll know what you want when you are shopping for your second set of tires. By that time you will have dialed in your ride fit and style in the mean time.

Good luck!