RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

buying used: Specialized Allez Elite ES, etc. ...a good deal

I'm in the market for a multi-use bike that will serve as a light commuter (20% of the time) and have, what I think is a good deal for $700 for a lightly used (told to be approx 150 miles on the bike) 2011 Specialized Allez Elite ES. My question are, 1) is this a good deal for a two year old bike and 2) is it a good fit for my intended uses?

I'm a spec-ops candidate so I'm very fit and have been road biking for several years and would like to take my riding to the next level and get into some races and do a few more duatholons before I ship. I previously competed with a vintage Univega that is an iron tank (and holds a special place in my heart). I'm running and swimming so damn much, I need a change of pace for my training and, considering how much I like biking, I think it's a great time to commit to a respectable machine. I'll also be commuting with this bike about 20% of the time as well...not that it matters a whole lot.

I'm looking for opinions to bring me back down to earth because I'm pretty excited about the bike and the thought of having a real entry level machine that let's me go even faster and push my limits even more. Of course, $$$ is a concern, thus the buying used and this post looking for advice.

Thank you for looking and I appreciate your time.
    Hooyah!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dp454SO View Post
    I'm in the market for a multi-use bike that will serve as a light commuter (20% of the time) and have, what I think is a good deal for $700 for a lightly used (told to be approx 150 miles on the bike) 2011 Specialized Allez Elite ES. My question are, 1) is this a good deal for a two year old bike and 2) is it a good fit for my intended uses?

I'm a spec-ops candidate so I'm very fit and have been road biking for several years and would like to take my riding to the next level and get into some races and do a few more duatholons before I ship. I previously competed with a vintage Univega that is an iron tank (and holds a special place in my heart). I'm running and swimming so damn much, I need a change of pace for my training and, considering how much I like biking, I think it's a great time to commit to a respectable machine. I'll also be commuting with this bike about 20% of the time as well...not that it matters a whole lot.

I'm looking for opinions to bring me back down to earth because I'm pretty excited about the bike and the thought of having a real entry level machine that let's me go even faster and push my limits even more. Of course, $$$ is a concern, thus the buying used and this post looking for advice.

Thank you for looking and I appreciate your time.
    Hooyah!
    First of all, make certain that there are no structural issues or damage. Next, make certain that the bike is the right frame size and a perfect fit. Next, test ride the bike in order to gauge its comfort level and handling (performance). If you like the color and the way it looks, then just simply pull the trigger!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    First of all, make certain that there are no structural issues or damage. Next, make certain that the bike is the right frame size and a perfect fit. Next, test ride the bike in order to gauge its comfort level and handling (performance). If you like the color and the way it looks, then just simply pull the trigger!
    solid advice. thanks.

i've now found an almost brand new Trek 1.1 for $650. From what I find, the Trek 1.1 is a more entry level bike (it's cheaper as well as frame geometry and riding position)...

I guess i'm splitting hairs, but it is in my nature...

if you were looking to get more serious into riding, the Allez (price dropped to $700) would be the better choice wouldn't it?

thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    solid advice. thanks.

i've now found an almost brand new Trek 1.1 for $650. From what I find, the Trek 1.1 is a more entry level bike (it's cheaper as well as frame geometry and riding position)...

I guess i'm splitting hairs, but it is in my nature...

if you were looking to get more serious into riding, the Allez (price dropped to $700) would be the better choice wouldn't it?

thanks.
    What do you mean, "almost brand new"? ...What year is it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    from here: Trek 1.1 Road Bike, like new

bought new in '11, less than 50 miles on it.

thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    from here: Trek 1.1 Road Bike, like new

bought new in '11, less than 50 miles on it.

thank you.
    Nope!

IMO, the Specialized Allez is a much better deal, provided that it feels comfortable to you, and that it performs well, without any mechanical issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    You don't want a Trek 1.1, I would get the Specialized one but be careful in buying used bike is my only advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    thanks for the replies!

I fell the Allez better suits my seriousness as well. I'd probably outgrow the Trek 1.1 quite quickly.

I'm going to see if I can go for a test ride today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    thanks for the replies!

I fell the Allez better suits my seriousness as well. I'd probably outgrow the Trek 1.1 quite quickly.

I'm going to see if I can go for a test ride today!
    When buying used, you should always have someone with you who is familiar with the mechanics of bikes. They should also be able to assist you with frame size info and fit. Of course, another alternative would be to meet at the LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yet I've seen "seriously" fast CAT4 riders on 1 series Treks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Well I'm the new owner of the '11 Spec Allez Elite!

The seller was a pretty serious bike guy and essentially hadn't ridden this bike much since he traveled for work more than he thought he would. I got to the location, took the bike out and pushed it for 20+ minutes and everything worked flawlessly. I then rolled by the LBS and had them look it over as well with a positive verdict.

I rode the bike back to my apartment (from prospect park bklyn to upper west side) and was smiles the entire way!

I'm sooo pumped! Thanks for the advice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    now I need to get a saddle bag and the goodies that go inside it... as well as a great lock.

any insight as to what I should include in the saddle bag? My list:
    spare tubes
    patches
    tire bars
    co2 kit (or small pump on frame)
    multi tool (with appropriate wrenches, hex's, etc)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

The seller was a pretty serious bike guy and essentially hadn't ridden this bike much since he traveled for work more than he thought he would. I got to the location, took the bike out and pushed it for 20+ minutes and everything worked flawlessly. I then rolled by the LBS and had them look it over as well with a positive verdict.

I rode the bike back to my apartment (from prospect park bklyn to upper west side) and was smiles the entire way!

Congrats, Dp!

Now ride the dickens out of her!

Plz post pics...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    Yet I've seen "seriously" fast CAT4 riders on 1 series Treks.
    ...nothing wrong with a little confidence ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Congrats man! Glad our advice help you out. You would have been disappointed had you bought a brand new Trek 1.1, anything after Sora would be useless and I believed that the 1.1 use 2300 parts.