Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    I play for keeps
    Reputation: locustfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    841

    CAAD10 or Felt F75

    I've been searching for months and I've narrowed it down to these two sleds. I want a bike that I can race out of the box at this price point and these seem to be the only contenders. Everything else is too relaxed in terms of geometry.

    What are your thoughts on these two bikes?

    Am I overlooking some other bikes?

  2. #2
    Born to chase Ducks
    Reputation: Don4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,720
    I'm guessing you are looking at the CAAD 10-5 vs the F75 since they both list for $1499.

    That said, you do get 105 brakes on the F75 vs Tektro on the CAAD 10-5.

    The CAAD 10-5 does have a factory option of either standard or compact crankset, wheras the F75 comes with compact only, but any bikeshop worth it's salt will do this for you anyway.

    I have a Felt F3, which is cf, but has the same geometry as the F75. I love how mine scoots when I kick it, and the handling is sharp but not nervous.

    And, the Felt does come with Superdave....
    What has been your experience in riding these two bikes?

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,042
    Hard decision as both of these bikes are great bikes. From here, it's a matter of preference (fit, looks,etc). In the end, the choice is yours.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    33
    Save your money & buy the caad10 ultegra or felt f5 105

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by mtberv View Post
    Save your money & buy the caad10 ultegra or felt f5 105
    The OP doesn't need to save money to buy one of those bikes. Those bikes aren't any better than what the OP's looking at. Don't know why people are sold on Ultegra being better than 105 or a carbon model being better than the aluminum one. If he really wanted to upgrade, he'd go with a Dura Ace CAAD10 and an F1. Rode the F75 and the F5; hardly a difference and the F75 felt more responsive. Ultegra is like a 105SL. Ultegra is for those who can't afford Dura Ace. Then they justify it by saying there is hardly difference. True, but the difference between 105 and Ultegra is almost non-existent. To the OP: You are picking between to excellent bikes that will deliver the goods as well as bikes costing much more. Kudos on picking those two.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    The OP doesn't need to save money to buy one of those bikes. Those bikes aren't any better than what the OP's looking at. Don't know why people are sold on Ultegra being better than 105 or a carbon model being better than the aluminum one. If he really wanted to upgrade, he'd go with a Dura Ace CAAD10 and an F1. Rode the F75 and the F5; hardly a difference and the F75 felt more responsive. Ultegra is like a 105SL. Ultegra is for those who can't afford Dura Ace. Then they justify it by saying there is hardly difference. True, but the difference between 105 and Ultegra is almost non-existent. To the OP: You are picking between to excellent bikes that will deliver the goods as well as bikes costing much more. Kudos on picking those two.
    You bring up a valid point on 105 versus ultegra performance...
    I recommended the ultegra caad10 bike due to the wheelset being a bit lighter along with the crankset being lighter.

    RS10 wheels = 1848g
    Ksyrium = 1550g

    I don't know about you but I would prefer to ride the ksyrium wheels.
    Add the weight savings from the crankset, seat post and ultegra versus 105 and you are talking about a substantial difference.

  7. #7
    V3T
    V3T is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    110
    I would agree that the Cannondale Caad 10 is going to be a better aluminum frame than the Felt F75, and I would also go as far to say that the Cannondale Caad 10 is going to be a better frame than a carbon fiber frame that is a few hundred dollars more from other bike manufacturers.

    Cannondale is known for making the best aluminum frames on the market, and have done so for a very long time. Mario Cipollini raced and won many sprints on a Caad series frame. The Caad 10 would definitely be an out-of-the-box race ready machine. Enjoy!

  8. #8
    I play for keeps
    Reputation: locustfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by Don4 View Post
    What has been your experience in riding these two bikes?
    waiting on two different shops in town to get one in stock in my size

  9. #9
    I play for keeps
    Reputation: locustfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    841
    Great info everyone thanks!

    I'm expecting to upgrade some of the parts in the future on either bike. I'll pick up some racing wheels and keep the stock ones for training. Probably upgrade the crankset next.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Don4 View Post
    The CAAD 10-5 does have a factory option of either standard or compact crankset, wheras the F75 comes with compact only, but any bikeshop worth it's salt will do this for you anyway.

    I have a Felt F3, which is cf, but has the same geometry as the F75. I love how mine scoots when I kick it, and the handling is sharp but not nervous.

    And, the Felt does come with Superdave....
    What has been your experience in riding these two bikes?
    What's the difference between a standard and compact crank and the pro's con's either way?

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: danmtchl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by mtberv View Post
    You bring up a valid point on 105 versus ultegra performance...
    I recommended the ultegra caad10 bike due to the wheelset being a bit lighter along with the crankset being lighter.

    RS10 wheels = 1848g
    Ksyrium = 1550g

    I don't know about you but I would prefer to ride the ksyrium wheels.
    Add the weight savings from the crankset, seat post and ultegra versus 105 and you are talking about a substantial difference.

    The wheelset that comes on the CAAD 10 is a Mavic Askium not a Ksyrium there is a huge difference there. The wheelset weighs in at 1798g not 1550.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    The wheelset that comes on the CAAD 10 is a Mavic Askium not a Ksyrium there is a huge difference there. The wheelset weighs in at 1798g not 1550.
    +1.......I'd also like to add that for the almost $700 difference, you can buy a really nice set of wheels that could make the 105 model lighter than the Ultegra model.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    231
    CAAD 10. Better frame, everything else can be swapped out eventually for something better/lighter.

  14. #14
    Born to chase Ducks
    Reputation: Don4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTexan View Post
    What's the difference between a standard and compact crank and the pro's con's either way?
    Standard cranks have, say, a 53/39, would have 53 teeth on the large chainring, and 39 on the smaller one. A compact, like the one on my bike, (a 50/34) has fewer teeth on both chainrings. Since all of the teeth are equally spaced, a crankset with fewer teeth on it's chainrings, and therefore a smaller diameter (the compact) will produce a lower gear ratio overall, assuming the same gearing on the cassette on the rear wheel.

    Generally, the advantage of a compact crankset will provide lower gearing -- fewer inches traveled forward for one revolution of the crank -- than will a standard crankset. The lower gearing of a compact makes it easier to climb hills, while still providing me with more than enough high end gearing to go as fast as I care to. I don't race, but have still seen 30 mph on level ground (with a tailwind!) using my compact crank equipped bike. The standard crankset will have slightly higher gearing for higher speeds at the same pedal rpm (cadence), but will be harder to climb with.

    When I was in my 20's and weighed 170 lbs, I had a standard crank. Now that I'm 48 and weigh 250, I have a compact.

    ...so after typing all this, it occurred to me I could have just said the compact provides greater mechanical advantage compared to the standard.

    Oh well! Hope that helps.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11
    I pulled the trigger on a CAAD 10 4 this weekend. I was looking for the 10 5 ($) but could not find one in the right size in Nor Cal or Northern Nevada. Mike's Bikes in Berkeley had the 10-4 and gave me 10% off since I was looking for the 5. They have a sale coming up so just gave me the discount now. I upgraded from Trek 1000 with Sora so 105 or SRAM would be a little learning curve either way. I think $130 over the 5 is a great deal for the upgrade to SRAM and carbon cranks.

    Can't wait to ride in the next couple days.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: danmtchl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15
    Enjoy the new ride

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,710
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTexan View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a CAAD 10 4 this weekend. I was looking for the 10 5 ($) but could not find one in the right size in Nor Cal or Northern Nevada. Mike's Bikes in Berkeley had the 10-4 and gave me 10% off since I was looking for the 5. They have a sale coming up so just gave me the discount now. I upgraded from Trek 1000 with Sora so 105 or SRAM would be a little learning curve either way. I think $130 over the 5 is a great deal for the upgrade to SRAM and carbon cranks.

    Can't wait to ride in the next couple days.
    I'm running a Caad10 with SRAM Force group and Willams System 30 wheels. Love it.

    Give us a ride report later on
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

    They have enough in common to blast down it.

  18. #18
    I play for keeps
    Reputation: locustfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    841
    Verdict is in; Went with the F75.

    Test rode them and they were dead ringers in terms of feedback and stiffness. The F75 was just a sexier sled and the Felt dealer in Austin is a great shop. The Cannonade dealer was less than helpful.

    Thanks for the feedback!

  19. #19
    Born to chase Ducks
    Reputation: Don4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist View Post
    Verdict is in; Went with the F75.

    Test rode them and they were dead ringers in terms of feedback and stiffness. The F75 was just a sexier sled and the Felt dealer in Austin is a great shop. The Cannonade dealer was less than helpful.

    Thanks for the feedback!
    You obviously have excellent taste in bikes! Congratulations! Glad you found both a bike...and a LBS...that makes you happy. Both are important!

    Now, make sure you post pics both here and down in the Felt Forum to prove it really happened!

  20. #20
    I play for keeps
    Reputation: locustfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by Don4 View Post
    You obviously have excellent taste in bikes! Congratulations! Glad you found both a bike...and a LBS...that makes you happy. Both are important!

    Now, make sure you post pics both here and down in the Felt Forum to prove it really happened!
    Roof Candy!


  21. #21
    Born to chase Ducks
    Reputation: Don4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist View Post
    Roof Candy!

    Smokin'!

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    34
    I have the F75 and love it. It is a great bike.

  23. #23
    T K
    T K is offline
    wasssabi
    Reputation: T K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,867
    From what I can tell, it looks like the f75 and the FA frameset are the same? Can anyone confirm this? I'm interested in the FA so an F75 test ride would be helpful if the same.
    Thanks.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: sherlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    From what I can tell, it looks like the f75 and the FA frameset are the same? Can anyone confirm this? I'm interested in the FA so an F75 test ride would be helpful if the same.
    Thanks.
    The FA frame and the F75 frame are one and the same.

Similar Threads

  1. CAAD10 fit help
    By iampogi in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
  2. CAAD10 for an Ape
    By leftnose in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 06:58 PM
  3. New Caad10
    By pedalingsquares in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM
  4. New Caad10 - 4
    By RickD in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 10:14 AM
  5. 2010 Felt Heritage Cruiser (Felt Website)
    By MaddSkillz in forum Felt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook