Thread: Caad12?

RoadBikeReview Member

Caad12?

My LBS is offering a 2017 Ultegra disc size 52 for $2K. I don't actually need another bike but am weighing replacing my aluminum road bike vs putting new components on it.

I'm aware of the CAAD12's reviews, which is why I was interested in the first place. It would be used for recreational rides and fair weather commuting.

My main concerns are the last-generation groupset and BB30a. Was trying to compare the geometry to my current bike and some measurements are close but the head tube is much shorter and the seat tube longer; I don't know my stack and reach. I'd like not to spend any more time on this if it won't work.

Thoughts? I always look at the bikes when I'm there. This the first time I ever had interest in one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    My experience is with a caad9 but assuming the geo and handling is the same which I think it is:

Maybe your idea of commuter riding and 'recreational' is different from mine but I consider it a poor frame for that.
    Very good, relative to others in the price range, for hammering, fast group rides, racing and stuff like that though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Maybe your idea of commuter riding and 'recreational' is different from mine but I consider it a poor frame for that.
    Very good, relative to others in the price range, for hammering, fast group rides, racing and stuff like that though.
    Thanks for the response. I actually do hammer on my commute when the mood strikes, and have a bunch of local Top 10 segments obtained while toting a backpack; i.e., Tuesday. I concede it's not my bike holding me back ... just looking at something new that might work well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just a quick look online and there seems to be much better deals than $2K out there if that's the one you really want.

If the head tube is shorter than your current bike (if it's a road bike) more than likely it will have a lower stack. Are you willing to have lower handlebars or a lot of spacers?