RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Calfee Tetra Pro vs. Look 585

Considering these two choices... Calfee Tetra Pro with Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork and King HS, or Look 585. They're both pretty close in price, so I was hoping to hear all of your opinions. First off, I'm looking for a frame to last me years, so durability is a factor. Second, I want something stiff without being harsh. I'm not looking for a crit bike, but something for fast group rides, longer road races, etc. Thanks for your input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

never owned the look, but did look at their line-up

have owned a tetra pro--great bike, second only to my crumpton. i had no complaints other than i suffer frequent relapses of i-want-a-new-bike-itis. but i did sell my car in order to "cure/survive" that affliction.
    anyway, i doubt you will go wrong either way. but i rode my calfee for 2-5 hr weekend rides and it was wonderful. felt as good at the end as at the beginning and it was agile going up hills and handled well--although i rarely went over 40mph on my route
    it was also lighter than the looks i checked, but i am not sure on the 585 weight now.
    since i am in the navy, when i get down to a close call, i usually slide to smaller usa builders if possible ( for example kelly, waterford, crumpton). when i bought my calfee frame i had questions on the FD spacer and touch up--called and ended up speaking to Calfee himself--that is pretty nice, as was he. not sure i will abandon campy for sram, but you get the idea.
    just my 2 cents
    if uncle sam is kind this april get both and then sell one here or on ebay--then you will absolutley know for sure, of course that is why i buy used--my rationalization is i can buy 2-3 used bikes or one new one--so i get 2-3 and then sell my least favorite(s).
    jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I have ridden both, and own the 585. The Tetra Pro was very smooth, but not quite as stiff as the 585. The 585 is much more powerful, lighter, and stiff when sprinting, with almost identical smoothness. It is really a joy to ride. The Tetra Pro is very good (I liked it alot, although both the Fondriest Carbon Lex and 585 were a little better); the 585 is the best bike I have ridden. Plus, it fits me like a glove.

Maybe you should compare the 565 and the Tetra Pro: they are about the same price point, and the weight is comparable. You really can't go wrong with bikes at this price point, but I would say that the 565 is probably a bit better bike (it comes with the superb HSC5) while the Tetra Pro won't have as nice of a fork (the HSC5 is an increible-tracking fork, which is a big reason why the 585 is such a good bike).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I love my calfee. Never ridden a Look. 2 fine choices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005