Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    UPDATE: I got the bike back, and it's shifting like new.

I checked all over for any other damage, but all I could find were some scratches on the outside of the pedal on the drive side, which makes me think it did indeed take a tumble.

All that remains are for Campy to examine the broken derailleur and give us a nice explanation of why it no longer worked despite no obvious damage, and for the guy who knocked my bike over badly enough to damage the derailleur to give me money. That latter bit's probably not going to happen, but I contacted the event's organizers, and they've asked the people manning that rest stop if anyone came forth admitting it was they who did it.

Given that I'm a bit of a worrier, I'll probably always wonder how much of a jolt the bike got when it fell, and if any little thing at all else got damaged or dinged. Oh well.

- Tim

'brifter' is a lame word.
    We should ask Campy why it's shifting so well if the hanger is out of spec
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    We should ask Campy why it's shifting so well if the hanger is out of spec
    Well, as mentioned above, it had been incorrectly measured; it's out of spec by just 1mm, which Campy told the frame builder shouldn't cause issues.

- Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Latest news : Campagnolo has said they will take a look at derailleur, so the bike shop shipped it to them. Campagnolo said it might take awhile, as there are a bunch of events and conferences coming up they have to attend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    In case anyone's interested - the bike shop sent the derailleur to Campagnolo. The bike shop sent me this about correspondence with them (on both what was wrong with the derailleur, and their original claim that it was hanging way off spec):

- Campag reported back on the rear derailleur. It is damaged, and has friction in the pivots that are caused the issue. Looks like the bike being knocked over was our cause. They sent us a new one as a good will gesture. I assume that you have no use for a spare derailleur (?) so will issue you a credit for the value that you can spend a the shop any time or apply to a future project.

- Received this from Campag Tech on the derailleur hanger dimensions. They gave us bad info on derailleur hanger set up, but at least they are fessing up to it.

"I just realized I never answered your question about measuring of the hanger dimensions. I recently got clarification from Italy that we measure those dimensions perpendicularly from the line that goes through the center of the dropout to the center of the BB shell. There was confusion about this in the past because the drawing doesn’t show the completed line. We were misinformed in the past and therefore misinformed your mechanic. Sorry about the confusion but hopefully this clears it."
    Last edited by tbessie; 07-30-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123