RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

can someone teach steel 101 on EOM vs zero

Hi all,
    I am trying to decide what steel bike to keep, and am not having luck with the search here (it seems different than in 2002, which was the last time i was trying to research bike frames).
    anyway, zero uno seems to weigh .2 kg more than zero, which weighs about the same more than EOM (this is internet based weights for a 54 cm frame by columbus/dedacciai)
    Can anyone explain how they differ and if it matters (ride, longevity, repair, etc)
    to me, with the same saddle/post and wheels, they ride very similarly, so I was wondering if there are other aspects of the steel alloy to consider.
    thanks,
    jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Zero and ZeroTre are 25CrMo4 steel with the former for heavier riders/use

Deda COM 12.5 known as Zero Uno, 18MCDV6 steel

Deda SAT 14.5 known as Zero HT, 18MCDV6HT and same formulation as COM 12.5 but the HT is for heat treated Tubing wall thickness in the non-butted and butted areas can differ from COM 12.5 for lighter weight, 1450gr for a 54cm is quoted but they don't say the construction method

Deda EOM 16.5 is a low carbon steel and different formulation than 18MCDV6HT and their lightest tubeset. Wall thickness in the non-butted areas is the same as SAT 14.5 but it's thinner in the butts, 1290gr for a 54cm is quoted.

They can all be constructed with lugs, TIG or fillet brazed.

As for ride characteristics, I have found it has more to do with the builder and geometry than the tubing.

Longevity should be the same for all, assuming no accidents.

They are all rebuildable, regardless of contruction methodology. I have a custom made from SAT 14.5and TIG'd. It's about 3.4 lbs frame only. I ran into the back of a car last year, buckling the top and downtubes. I had the frame rebuilt after that and it rides fine.

There are not that many builders out there building with 16.5. They say it's not the easiest material to work, requiring greater care in machining and joining than the others.

Hope that helps a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

acording to....

Quote Originally Posted by boneman
    Zero and ZeroTre are 25CrMo4 steel with the former for heavier riders/use

Deda COM 12.5 known as Zero Uno, 18MCDV6 steel

Deda SAT 14.5 known as Zero HT, 18MCDV6HT and same formulation as COM 12.5 but the HT is for heat treated Tubing wall thickness in the non-butted and butted areas can differ from COM 12.5 for lighter weight, 1450gr for a 54cm is quoted but they don't say the construction method

Deda EOM 16.5 is a low carbon steel and different formulation than 18MCDV6HT and their lightest tubeset. Wall thickness in the non-butted areas is the same as SAT 14.5 but it's thinner in the butts, 1290gr for a 54cm is quoted.

They can all be constructed with lugs, TIG or fillet brazed.

As for ride characteristics, I have found it has more to do with the builder and geometry than the tubing.

Longevity should be the same for all, assuming no accidents.

They are all rebuildable, regardless of contruction methodology. I have a custom made from SAT 14.5and TIG'd. It's about 3.4 lbs frame only. I ran into the back of a car last year, buckling the top and downtubes. I had the frame rebuilt after that and it rides fine.

There are not that many builders out there building with 16.5. They say it's not the easiest material to work, requiring greater care in machining and joining than the others.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Acording to my book, Zero Tre is 25CrMo4. Zero Uno is 18mcdv6, and Zero is heattreated 18mcdv6.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

thanks--my moser says 18mcdv6 HT--can it be 1991

I also thought it was zero by searching online
    good to know it and the opera EOM are rebuildable

my moser was an ebay NOS in 2002, but i've been told it is from 1991???
    did they use the 18mcdv6 HT in '91 seems it is still a pretty high level tube set for steel.

thanks for the great info

jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Moser

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav
    I also thought it was zero by searching online
    good to know it and the opera EOM are rebuildable

my moser was an ebay NOS in 2002, but i've been told it is from 1991???
    did they use the 18mcdv6 HT in '91 seems it is still a pretty high level tube set for steel.

thanks for the great info

jim
    I never heard of 18mcdv6 HT back in 91. Dedacciai tubing isn't even listed in an extensive 1994 buyers guide listing. My moser TK-1 leader(white and red) is about 97/98 vintage and uses 18mcdv6 HT. Great bike.