RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018

Lightbulb Cannondale CAAD12

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about getting a new 'stock' CAAD12 with ultegra.

Some people have mentioned that they have problems with the FSA BB30 Bearings that are provided - causing creak sounds that simply do not go away after proper maintenance. Ending up spending lots of money on part replacement.

My question: Is it a manufacture fail of Cannondale Hollowgram SI crank combined with FSA bb30 technology that causing this issue?
    Would it be possible to replace the stock cannon crank/ FSA BB with a simple threaded BB instead? Would that frame 'fit' the threaded BB? (ofourse changing the crank too i guess)

Thank you,

With regards

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It's not a bearing maintenance issue, it's a BB30 design issue. Pressing a steel bearing into an aluminum frame will cause noises at some point. There are press-in threaded adapters that allow threaded bottom brackets in BB30 frames. They are installed w/ a sleeve-retaining loctite.

FSA BB30 Threaded Adapter (B3119) | Chain Reaction Cycles

Since you don't own it yet I'd just buy a different bike.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bariuum View Post
    My question: Is it a manufacture fail of Cannondale Hollowgram SI crank combined with FSA bb30 technology that causing this issue?
    First off, BB30 technology is by Cannondale. They invented and patented it.

There are two issues with the design:
    1) steel bearings in an aluminum race. Any movement causes creaking.
    2) using a crank that doesn't have good side loading to secure the bearings from movement. (Shimano cranks have very little side loading and notoriously creak the worst in a BB30 setup.

IMO a BB30 (or PF30) in a carbon frame with a Hollogram crank is a pretty sweet design. BB30 in anything else is a crap shoot.

Would it be possible to replace the stock cannon crank/ FSA BB with a simple threaded BB instead? Would that frame 'fit' the threaded BB? (ofourse changing the crank too i guess)
    Yes. There are several brands of BB30 adapters and they work great. Only caveat is you need a crank with a 24mm spindle.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-bb30...ttom-brackets/
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a 2015 CAAD10 that I purchased in Feb 2015. It has the Hollowgram Si crank on it. This bike has seen many races and I just had to have the bearings replaced for the first time January 2018. That is with lots of races over the past three years. As for creaking, it never creaked until after I had the bearings replaced and even then it's only done it less than a handful of times. Funny thing is, it never creaked even once before the BB was overhauled. I'm not sure about the material thing because my Super Six Evo Hi Mod will occasionally creak when I'm out of the saddle climbing really steep climbs. Heck, even Phil Gaimon's Youtube video, of him climbing Pikes Peak, you can hear his bottom bracket creaking on his Evo too.
    Last edited by terbennett; 03-16-2018 at 06:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Since you don't own it yet I'd just buy a different bike.
    I feel very comfortable with the CAAD frames, plus they offer a good value deal for that price. You get a strong alu frame that you're not afraid to scratch with wheels and ultegra set. What else is possible to get for that price which is going to be durable? Buying a used carbon bike is a risk, since you don't know how the frame was handled. That's just my view.

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?menu=100...product=242066

One thing I have trouble understanding:

There is a suggestion to use this rotor to convert a 30BB to a 24BB that will fit shimano crank. The Caad 2016 models had a machined ridge inside. I have no idea about this frame if it will work on it.

Combining this rotor with a 24mm crank that I will have to order separately - in overall big picture - will it force to make any other additional changes to the groupset that comes together with the bike?

Rotor BB30 to 24mm Steel Road Bottom Bracket | Chain Reaction Cycles

Is it a risk to take to fit that new crank? Or I should just avoid getting a CAAD bike?

Thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    I feel very comfortable with the CAAD frames, plus they offer a good value deal for that price. You get a strong alu frame that you're not afraid to scratch with wheels and ultegra set. What else is possible to get for that price which is going to be durable? Buying a used carbon bike is a risk, since you don't know how the frame was handled. That's just my view.

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?menu=100...product=242066

One thing I have trouble understanding:

There is a suggestion to use this rotor to convert a 30BB to a 24BB that will fit shimano crank. The Caad 2016 models had a machined ridge inside. I have no idea about this frame if it will work on it.

Combining this rotor with a 24mm crank that I will have to order separately - in overall big picture - will it force to make any other additional changes to the groupset that comes together with the bike?

Rotor BB30 to 24mm Steel Road Bottom Bracket | Chain Reaction Cycles

Is it a risk to take to fit that new crank? Or I should just avoid getting a CAAD bike?

Thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's interesting. The only 2016 CAAD with standard BB30 was the CAAD 8 105. The CAAD12 had BB30A and the two aren't interchangeable.

Quit upgrading & ride!
    I've been riding a CAAD 12 as my winter bike, with a Wishbone BB30a insert to allow me to use my Campagnolo Chorus chainset, it fitted easily, it doesn't creak, the bike is great, 7.3kg with winter wheels.
    Put me back on my bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    IMO a BB30 (or PF30) in a carbon frame with a Hollogram crank is a pretty sweet design. BB30 in anything else is a crap shoot.
    I had been wondering why I hear all these complaints about Cannondale's BB30, but I never had a problem with my Synapse Carbon with 7K miles on it. Never a peep. So it's only aluminum frame bikes that have the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yes. There are several brands of BB30 adapters and they work great. Only caveat is you need a crank with a 24mm spindle.
    Which is pretty much any Shimano crank. I put in a Wheels Manufacturing adapter when I swapped out my FSA Gossamer for an Ultegra 6800 crank.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    To be honest, I've never heard of Cannondale's BB30s creaking much. Most of the creaking issues I've heard of on Cannondales (or any other BB30 bikes for that matter) were when the frames used a non-Cannondale BB30 bottom bracket, like FSA- which are rubbish from my experience. As I had mentinoned earlier, I have heard it a few times on my Evo and on my CAAD10, but not often. If it is still a concern, there are several adapters on the market to convert your bike to a Shimano crank, like a couple of others have said. Wheels Manufacturing, Rotor and Praxxis are notable ones.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    To be honest, I've never heard of Cannondale's BB30s creaking much. Most of the creaking issues I've heard of on Cannondales (or any other BB30 bikes for that matter) were when the frames used a non-Cannondale BB30 bottom bracket, like FSA- which are rubbish from my experience. As I had mentinoned earlier, I have heard it a few times on my Evo and on my CAAD10, but not often. If it is still a concern, there are several adapters on the market to convert your bike to a Shimano crank, like a couple of others have said. Wheels Manufacturing, Rotor and Praxxis are notable ones.
    All BB30 bottom brackets are cartridge bearings, nothing more. It doesn't matter whether they're labeled Cannondale, FSA, SRAM...all they are are 30x37x7 cartridge bearings. If the frame they're installed in is off by the smallest amount or the bearings aren't installed exactly straight or they aren't greased or or or or...they're gonna end up making noise. If they get wet and any corrosion gets started they're gonna make noise. If you don't grease the axle when you install the crank they're gonna make noise.
    The adapter you're talking about from WM are delrin spacers that slide into the BB390 bearings and then you put the 24mm axle crank in. The BB30 bottom bracket is still installed in the frame...you're just adding another part that can possibly make noise. The best way to do it is to use a collet style bottom bracket that threads together inside the frame. I forgot to mention this in my first post.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    All BB30 bottom brackets are cartridge bearings, nothing more. It doesn't matter whether they're labeled Cannondale, FSA, SRAM...all they are are 30x37x7 cartridge bearings. If the frame they're installed in is off by the smallest amount or the bearings aren't installed exactly straight or they aren't greased or or or or...they're gonna end up making noise. If they get wet and any corrosion gets started they're gonna make noise. If you don't grease the axle when you install the crank they're gonna make noise.
    The adapter you're talking about from WM are delrin spacers that slide into the BB390 bearings and then you put the 24mm axle crank in. The BB30 bottom bracket is still installed in the frame...you're just adding another part that can possibly make noise. The best way to do it is to use a collet style bottom bracket that threads together inside the frame. I forgot to mention this in my first post.
    Do you mean like this one:

https://praxiscycles.com/technology/praxis-collet/
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have this adaptor on my 2012 Supersix Evo running a Ultegra 6700 crankset

Thousands of miles with no issues

v/r

Ajost

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    My info might be slightly out of date, but I bought a CAAD12 frameset to build up one year ago, and at the time my research showed that the adapters for the BB30 Bb will not work on the BB30a BB on the CAAD12. At the time I couldn't find an adapter that would work on the CAAD12.

(I ended up selling the new frameset on, and passing on the CAAD12.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree but as I was saying, from what I have noticed this has been the case. Carbon and aluminum alike will have the problem. Has nothing to do with material is what I was implying in my first post. However, I have noticed this issue more on bikes with FSA. Haven't heard much from SRAM camp on this. FSA more commonly used maybe?