rusbeckia
    Aug 2018

Cannondale CAAD2 Roadbike 2002 - Identification

Hi! I'm a MTB enthusiast since I got my first good MTB 1 1/2 Months ago and have been touring 600km+ since then. now I also wanna get into road biking to train my general condition.

I found a 2002 Cannondale CAAD2 Roadbike with Ultegra set and a very appealing green/aubergine pearlescent color. The seller only told me that he never saw the same bike somewhere else and it might be something special because of that. He also said it's only 7,8kg light.

Can anybody help me identify the model and help me estimate what it could be worth? he wants 450 for it.

Greetings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale CAAD2 Roadbike 2002 - Identification-095_990372926.jpg   Cannondale CAAD2 Roadbike 2002 - Identification-095_2108287358.jpg  

Slowski
    First of all the year is suspect. In 2002, the only CAAD 2 frames that I saw had the headshock. They were the Silk Adventure models. In 1997, the CAAD road bikes replaced the 2.8 series, and in that year the CAAD 2 was only available in a low spec R300 and lower, certainly nothing in an Ultegra level. The higher spec'ed bikes were CAAD 3. The highest specs a CAAD 2 received is as a 1999 R800 which got 105 components. By 2000 the lower spec'ed bikes were replaced with CAAD 3 frames.

rusbeckia
    Aug 2018
    Ok. so that means that the bike is certainly older and must have been upgraded with ultegra. so no original condition (which doesnt matter to me). what is your opinion on the paint job? does it look custom made to you?
    what do you think this might be worth? is 400 a ok price? if it's really from <=1999 I'm thinking that something newer like 2005 (in the same price range) would be a better alternative.

I'm really new at road bikes and need a little help deciding if that's a good deal

Slowski
    The top tube seems to be missing some decals that should be under the clear coat, but the paint looks like a color that was factory in the late 90's. As for value, you could probably get a newer bike with an 11 speed 105 group for roughly the same price. You likely either have either 8 speed (6400 series Ultegra) or 9 speed (6500 series Ultegra) on that bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's 10 speed 6600.

rusbeckia
    Aug 2018
    i just recieved another picture the seller took... it's 2x8 Ultegra.
    I'd favor 2x11 of course. since I'm new to road biking and I think that 2x8 might be too less gears for me right now. Maybe 2x8 would help me build muscle power though.

in my country used bike prices are pretty hefty most times.. I've never seen something newer than 2005 for under 500, if at all. Most bikes with 105 and newer than 2005 or so cost 700+..

Swapping from 8- to 11-speed is too expensive for me if I want to keep Ultegra.

EDIT:
    Can anybody tell me if 11-speed has the same lowest and highest transmission than 8-speed and only has more gears inbetween? If that's how it is I could live with 8-speed I guess, still I think I'd need the lowest possible gear for ascents.
    Last edited by rusbeckia; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:50 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    the lack of a top tube model designation probbably means it's a bare frame that was built up or a warranty replacement frame.

colour could be chromalusion purpleen gloss
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rusbeckia View Post
    EDIT:
    Can anybody tell me if 11-speed has the same lowest and highest transmission than 8-speed and only has more gears inbetween? If that's how it is I could live with 8-speed I guess, still I think I'd need the lowest possible gear for ascents.
    usually there going to be the same rations, but more in between...but you can get much lower gears with newer stuff. You need to figure out what parts you have, figure out what the cog are on the cassette and what chainrings you have on the crankset.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    also 450 euros? 20 yo cannondale is still a nice bike, maybe a little high, maybe 3-350E, but thats just my opinion.
    All the gear and no idea