RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015

Cannondale Commemorative 911 Fireman's Road Bike

Re: my Cannondale Commemorative 911 Fireman's Road Bike; Does anyone know any details about this bike. It was supposed to be a special bike made for raising money and ridden across the united states in 2002.

I picked this one up a number of years ago and I may not ride it as it is a bit too big for me, it is a size 58.

Is it a bike to ride or should it be saved as collectors type of bike?

I will attempt to upload a couple pics.

Thanks for any information you can offer.

Cannondale Commemorative 911 Fireman's Road Bike-bikea.jpgCannondale Commemorative 911 Fireman's Road Bike-bikec.jpgCannondale Commemorative 911 Fireman's Road Bike-bikef.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Commemorative 911 Fireman's Road Bike-dscn1264.jpg  
    Last edited by MrMusic; 05-20-2015 at 09:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a bike to ride. Limited collectors appeal I think. It's basically a run of the mill Cannondale CAAD5 with slightly better parts mix and a blingy paint job. Not very rare IMHO. If it's too big put it up for sale and buy a bike you can ride. Good luck.

Forever a Student
    100% to ride if you ask me.

I don't know any sane person that would want that as a collector's item. I'll leave the politics and opinions out of it but I wouldn't want to promote that it has a connection to 9/11.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Either I don't understand what the word comemorate means or that's an embarrassingly stupid title to give a bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Hello everyone - My name is Richard and I am from Sacramento, California. I came across this thread last night and thought I provide some historical background.

Shortly after 9/11, five firemen from NYC went on a goodwill bike run from NYC to Los Angeles. Cannondale donated custom bikes for this trip. They were CAAD5 with upgraded parts and a very custom "stars and strips" paint job. In 2002 Cannondale decided to make a limited production run to sell them to the public.

I've seen a lot of debate about the collectability of this bike. Some people will just say it's a 2002 CAAD5 and there is nothing special about it. Others will say it's great example of a early CAAD5 with a little bit of interesting history.

For me.... I am big into Canndondale and 9/11 had a huge impact on me, so when a member of a Canndondale Facebook group started posted about his bike I started to look into it. I found one on Ebay, it was cheap enough, and with a limited amount of work I got a good bike that I ride on a regular basis. During group rides everyone asks about it.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Buss View Post
    Some people will just say it's a 2002 CAAD5 and there is nothing special about it. Others will say it's great example of a early CAAD5 with a little bit of interesting history.
    Still others will say that it's a sad example of how anything and everything is appropriated by marketing weenies in the quest to make a buck.
    Last edited by wim; 09-13-2016 at 08:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Regardless of everyone's opinions you've read so far, there is a following for that bike. Sure, it's a standard CAAD 5 with fancy paint job, but it represents even more....That's where the allure for these bikes come in. It's in very limited numbers and has been getting a lot of attention Cannondale lovers everwhere. Heck! I even have been scouring for one on EBay and C-List in my size. The CAAD10 and especially the CAAD12s are absolutely awesome bikes by any measure, but there is something about a homegrown bike representing a huge moment in our country's history. Technically, it's nothing extraordinary, but for what it is and represents, it's something very special.
    Last edited by terbennett; 09-19-2016 at 10:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Cannondale Commemorative 911 Fireman's Road Bike-911.jpg

Came across this thread here to night and thought I would update it... After a few years of riding it as I got it, I had the bike rebuilt from the ground up. It's like brand new. It's been a blast riding it up and down the California coast, and Cannondale people always stop and ask me about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice looking bike.