Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cannondale R5000 or Felt F3C????

5K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  MaestroXC 
#1 ·
Time to order up a new road bike and trying to decide between the Cannondale R5000 or the Felt F3C - these are the choices in my budget.

I have been on Cannondales for the past 5 years - R900 and my current ride R2000. - No complaints but have the urge to try something different (Carbon is always nice) to see if I am missing something better. (Example I MTB raced a Titus Racer X for 5 years - 3 different frames - because I though the Racer X was the best bike out there. Tried a Turner Flux this year and glad I made the change)

I am 6'1", 185 lbs and will use the bike for mostly training rides and a few races. I had just started into about 4-5 road races last year and had a ball so will probably do a few more this year.

Looks like both bikes are full Dura Ace - Wheelsets are different (but not sure which is better and how much better).

Sizing between the 2 bikes are pretty close (comparing o4 specs)
Seat Tube angle C 73 Felt 73.5
Head Tube angle C 73.5 Felt 74.0
Horz TT C 57.5 Felt 58
Not sure how these minor difference pay on bike handling!

Weight difference between the two bikes??? (I am a weight wennie)

Paying the same price for each bike any recommendations of one over the other? A "clear" winner or is this a possible flip of the coin?

Thanks for any thoughts KMan

Cannondale R5000
Frame CAAD8 Optimo
Fork Slice Premium
Wheelset Mavic Ksyrium Elite
Tires Hutchinson Top Speed foldable, 700 x 23c
Crank FSA SL-K Carbon Compact, 36/50, 110BCD
Chain Shimano Dura Ace 10-speed
Rear Cogs Shimano Dura Ace, 12-25
Bottom Bracket FSA MegaExo
Front Derailleur Shimano Dura Ace
Rear Derailleur Shimano Dura Ace
Shifters Shimano Dura Ace
Handlebars Cannondale Fire, 31.8 mm
Stem Cannondale Fire 3-D Forged
Headset FSA Alloy integrated
Brakeset Shimano Dura Ace
Brakelevers Shimano Dura Ace
Saddle Fi'zi:k Arione Mg
Seat Post Cannondale Carbon-wrapped

Felt F3C
FRAME High Modulus Modular Carbon Fiber Frame with 3K Weave
FORK Reynolds Ouzo Comp Carbon with 1-1/8” Carbon Steerer
HEADSET Aheadset 1-1/8” Integrated
STEM Felt ST-22 6061 3D Forged with 5° Rise
HANDLEBAR Felt Carbon Ergonomic Drop, Ø31.8mm
SHIFTERS Shimano Dura-Ace, 20 speed
F/DERAILLEUR Shimano Dura-Ace
R/DERAILLEUR Shimano Dura-Ace
CRANKSET Truvativ Rouleur, 2-PC Monocoque CarbonCrank with Black CNC 7075/T6 Alloy Chainrings, 50/36T
CHAIN Shimano 10-Speed
FREEWHEEL Shimano 10-Speed Cassette, 11-23T
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Dura-Ace Dual Control
BRAKES Dual Pivot Alloy with Cartridge Brake Pads
SADDLE Felt Race-Lite with Carbon Injected Base, Leather Cover and with CrMo Rails
SEAT POST Felt Carbon Monocoque
F/HUB Mavic Aksium Race Aluminum with Sealed Bearings, 20H
R/HUB Mavic Aksium Race Aluminum with Sealed Bearings, 24H
RIMS Mavic Aksium Race 6061 Aluminum 20mm Parabolic Aero Section with UB Control-External Wear Indicator
TIRE Vittoria Rubino Slick 700x23c
SPOKES Mavic Aksium Race Flat Spokes

See less See more
#2 ·
Coin Toss

However, if you are a weight wennie I can't imagine you will be happy with the wheels on the felt. They are a step down on the Mavic food chain and I think over 200 grams heavier.

If you can get over that then just go with whichever one gives you wood.

#4 · (Edited)
The Cannondale has a slightly better component set. The wheels and brakes, for example, are better.

I don't know much about Felt's quality, but a carbon frame is pretty sweet indeed. Does that make it better than the Cannondale? Well no. Cannondale makes beautfiul frames and even if alloy isn't necessarily en vogue these days, if you are indifferent towards the carbon vs alloy debate, I'd probably say the Cannondale is the best. If you absolutely must have carbon, try the Felt, but don't whinge to me if three months from now you think you made a mistake! :D

#7 ·
Wheels....

If I went with the Felt I would sell the stock wheels and get a set from Mike G - Speedcific Niobium 30 set - cost looks to be around $430 shipped, weight is 1550 grams and a bit less if I went with the Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Might even do the same with the Cannondale. http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/2/128.htm?419

What happened to the good old days when My R2000 came with the Mavic Ksyrium SL's?? Looks like building with cheaper wheels is keeping the prices down a bit?

KMan

Lifelover said:
However, if you are a weight wennie I can't imagine you will be happy with the wheels on the felt. They are a step down on the Mavic food chain and I think over 200 grams heavier.

If you can get over that then just go with whichever one gives you wood.

#8 ·
Really??

peabody said:
felts are the epitome of cheap far east carbon crap
Any basis to that statement, or just loyalty to an American made Cannondale? I have an F1C on order (due in February) and would cancel it, if it is in fact, crap. There is very little feedback on Felt carbon out there, so I'd love to hear any factual reasons as to why the Felts may be inferior to any of the dozen or so high end carbon frames coming out of Taiwan. Parlee, Time, Look, Specailized and Giant are all on my carbon A-list, so I'm not partial as to where it's munafactured so long as it's quality product.

Mike...

#9 ·
No Basis

two6's said:
Any basis to that statement, or just loyalty to an American made Cannondale? I have an F1C on order (due in February) and would cancel it, if it is in fact, crap. There is very little feedback on Felt carbon out there, so I'd love to hear any factual reasons as to why the Felts may be inferior to any of the dozen or so high end carbon frames coming out of Taiwan. Parlee, Time, Look, Specailized and Giant are all on my carbon A-list, so I'm not partial as to where it's munafactured so long as it's quality product.

Mike...
Don't get worked up because what someone on a web forum says. I know a few people who have CF felts and another friends who will be buying one this month. They are great bikes at great prices.

No doubt the frames are made in some Asian factories that makes frames for many others but that in no way means they are crap.

My only problem with them is that they look so damn fast. I would not one to show up on one and get dropped by some loser on an old Schwinn Traveler. I would rather be the loser on the old Schwinn.

#10 · (Edited)
Italianrider76 said:
I've actually wondered about the Felt........are the brakes actually Dura Ace??
Be careful. The Felt you listed here is NOT full Dura Ace. Only the shifters/brake levers and
derailleurs are DA. The brake calipers, hubs, casette... Not DA. Felt does this on many models--that's why the prices are so good.

I'd go with the Cannondale, all things being equal (and I ride a Felt). I think it is easily the better choice. I'd rather have a solid, tried and true aluminum frame with better components than a carbon frame with lesser components for sure. I don't think that Felt is worth 3k.

#11 · (Edited)
Lifelover said:
Don't get worked up because what someone on a web forum says. I know a few people who have CF felts and another friends who will be buying one this month. They are great bikes at great prices.

No doubt the frames are made in some Asian factories that makes frames for many others but that in no way means they are crap.

My only problem with them is that they look so damn fast. I would not one to show up on one and get dropped by some loser on an old Schwinn Traveler. I would rather be the loser on the old Schwinn.
Correct, Felt frames are made in Taiwan and for manufacturers other than Felt.

#13 ·
Thanks for the insight

I did see the Felt did not have Dura Ace calipers and the wheels are pretty lame. I was planning on replacing the wheelset on either bike with something different and lighter.
I don't think any bikes are "worth" 3k. I would be getting shop pricing on both bikes and they are within $100 of each other (the R5000 being less expensive). I know the Cannondale is a better deal, but as I mentioned originally I have had 2 Cannondale road bikes and have that slight urge to try something differnt....but not if it is not worth it.
My mind says stay with the Cannondale....but something in the back is still saying try the Felt.

KMan

Scotty2Hotty said:
Be careful. The Felt you listed here is NOT full Dura Ace. Only the shifters/brake levers and
derailleurs are DA. The brake calipers, hubs, casette... Not DA. Felt does this on many models--that's why the prices are so good.

I'd go with the Cannondale, all things being equal (and I ride a Felt). I think it is easily the better choice. I'd rather have a solid, tried and true aluminum frame with better components than a carbon frame with lesser components for sure. I don't think that Felt is worth 3k.

#14 ·
KMan said:
I did see the Felt did not have Dura Ace calipers and the wheels are pretty lame. I was planning on replacing the wheelset on either bike with something different and lighter.
I don't think any bikes are "worth" 3k. I would be getting shop pricing on both bikes and they are within $100 of each other (the R5000 being less expensive). I know the Cannondale is a better deal, but as I mentioned originally I have had 2 Cannondale road bikes and have that slight urge to try something differnt....but not if it is not worth it.
My mind says stay with the Cannondale....but something in the back is still saying try the Felt.

KMan
You're right... I can't say whether a bike is "worth" 3k or not. If you already have 2 Cannondales, go for the Felt. You're not going to get a cheaper carbon bike.

#15 ·
Wait till the price drop

Check out the retail vs cost to dealer price postd on this bike I saw at Interbike. I say get the cannondale. The felt is made of the cheaper t700 carbon.

#16 ·
how much cheaper

KMan said:

KMan
just curious. how much cheaper? the cannondale even at $3k is closer to a better deal IMO due to the components.

#18 · (Edited)
peabody said:
felts are the epitome of cheap far east carbon crap
Hmmm, and where does the Cannondale Synapse come from?

The bottom line, nowadays, is that at that 2-3k price point you are choosing between pretty decent aluminum framesets from manufacturers like C-dale, Orbea, Specialized and then price point carbon bikes. If you want the ride of carbon and don't have much experience on a bike to begin with, then the Felt is not a bad choice. I've test rode the Felt F2c/3c models myself; they're a snappy and smooth ride. Not terrifically stiff, and I have no idea what to say about their longevity, but a good bike. Felt's carbon framesets may not have the build quality of a Colnago or Look, but they're far from the epitome of crap.

#19 ·
rollinrob said:
Check out the retail vs cost to dealer price postd on this bike I saw at Interbike. I say get the cannondale. The felt is made of the cheaper t700 carbon.

Cheaper compared to what? a $5000 frame only, French made, Time VXRS?

Duhh. :p

And about dealer cost price... do you expect them to only make a buck? Right...

#24 ·
rollinrob said:
Wow, 40-45% margins?!? So what's up with all the people who say, "Don't haggle with your poor LBS on the price of a bike ... their margins are razor thin."?

Cheers,
Ari

#26 ·
grayfox2014 said:
So I have a question about the felt. In the second set of pictures what is the orange piece at the top of the seat stays?
I think it's just their crappy logo.

That is one ugly-ass bike.

I don't know why the paint colors on their website look absolutely nothing like what they look like in person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.