RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Talking Cannondale's Elite Road vs Performance Road

Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase my first road bike. I currently ride a Cannondale Quick CX 2, which I love. I am looking to ride in a 300 mile tour next year. I am uncertain which series of road bike would be better suited, Cannondale's Elite Road series or their Performance Road series. I like Cannondale a lot, but am not opposed to other brands. Sorry for such a newbie question, but I am a little overwhelmed with the choices in road bikes. I did not have nearly this amount of confusion when I purchased my Quick CX 2 a few years back. Thanks for the help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    The primary difference between the two lines is a "racing" geometry versus a more upright "endurance" geometry. For Trek, its the difference between the Madone and Domaine series. If you can, go to the local LBS and try a bike out in each series. Most Cannondale shops will stock the CAAD10 and the Synapse lines so you can compare the difference. Also, check to see if there are any "factory" demo rides in your area. You'll be able to ride for a longer period of time than the shop's parking lot and see how they feel. After riding a Madone and Domaine, there's no way I'd ever buy a Domaine. On the hand, other riders were raving about the Domaine. ymmv

RoadBikeReview Member
    Basically, the Elite road bikes are more tailored to racing, whereas the Performance Road series is more suited for comfort on longer rides...Like irish said the different geometries are the main difference.
    The elite series will basically have more saddle to handlebar drop than the performance road series, which will have the seat and bars almost level with each other. (the spacers can be moved around to create some drop on the bars).

That being said, it really is up to you and how flexible you are as to which is a better choice for you. Go to your LBS, sit on the different models, ride them if the shop allows test rides, and pick whichever one you are most comfortable on.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNick View Post
    Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase my first road bike. I currently ride a Cannondale Quick CX 2, which I love. I am looking to ride in a 300 mile tour next year. I am uncertain which series of road bike would be better suited, Cannondale's Elite Road series or their Performance Road series. I like Cannondale a lot, but am not opposed to other brands. Sorry for such a newbie question, but I am a little overwhelmed with the choices in road bikes. I did not have nearly this amount of confusion when I purchased my Quick CX 2 a few years back. Thanks for the help.
    I believe you can lock the fork on the quick CX 2. This will help.

is the 300 mile ride supported? Ie, do you have to haul all your own gear? If no... maybe a road bike with drop bars is suited. If yes, rack that baby up.

You really need to decide if you absolutely need a road bike for the 300 mile tour
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    I believe you can lock the fork on the quick CX 2. This will help.

is the 300 mile ride supported? Ie, do you have to haul all your own gear? If no... maybe a road bike with drop bars is suited. If yes, rack that baby up.

You really need to decide if you absolutely need a road bike for the 300 mile tour
    +1..... I totally agree with this. It would suck to buy a bike only to discover that the bike you already have is the bike you really should use for that ride. The Quick CX 2 isn't a bike to snicker at. As you already know, it IS a good bike.
    Last edited by terbennett; 05-23-2013 at 10:47 AM.