Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Can't decide. 2014 Roubaix vs 2014 Synapse

44K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  RoadEye 
#1 ·
I’m in the market for a new road bike I’ve narrowed my choices down to the 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite 105 and the 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4. I’ve ridden both bikes and feel equally comfortable on both. The Roubaix is full Shimano 105 while the Synapse is full Rival. I’m aware of the difference in shifting but I’m upgrading from a hybrid so I don’t have a preference either way. I’m looking for any type of feedback from anyone that has experience with either bike.

#2 ·
You really can't go wrong with either. You also hit on the key issues which are comfort and component preference. Best thing to do is to see if you can get a little more saddle time in each and focus on those differences. There is no way than anyone can make a real argument that one of those bikes is better than the other.

#3 · (Edited)
I was going to get a roubaix. I have test rode them several times. I then bought the new synapse hype. I rode a 105. To me the hype is well deserved. It handled good. climbed good and accelerated fast like the race geo bike I had. It just cruised effortlessly down the road. I also prefer sram so for me it would be a no brainer. I don know which one I'm going to get yet. I want to get a 105 and put force 22 on it but I might settle for ultegra 11. It depends on what I can work out with my lbs

#4 ·
People get all religious when it comes to components. Everyone has their church. That said I've used Shimano for all my adult life and they've always been reliable. I don't always hear that about SRAM. Campy is also very respectable but not usually an option for your segment.

#5 ·
I took a 2014 Hi Mod Synapse SRAM Red on a long test ride when some dealers had demo days. I really liked that bike; comfortable but responsive. That day was the 1st time I got to try SRAM double tap. It shifted nicely; about the same as the Ultegra on my 2013 Scott CR1 Pro. But I prefer Shimano's style. Big lever, big ring - small lever, small ring. Very intuitive. Also, when you reach the ends of your cassette; the chain just stops. With SRAM; you start going the other way.

2014_CANNONDALE_SYNAPSE_DEMO_BIKE[1] by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

#9 ·
Have you tried to spec out a Project 1 Domane in the 4 series? I'm thinking you could get a frame in the color you want, with full 105 and better wheels than the 4.3, for close to the price of the 4.7.

I just ran it with 105, the Race wheel set, and the cheapest available bars. About a $250 difference. That's MSRP to MSRP. You can order a P1 though the shop and they may save you something.

#16 ·
#23 ·
Rather than start another which bike is best thread . . . Looking at the same bikes as the OP but I am leaning more towards a Felt Z3 or Z5. Still some shops around that have 2013 models on clearance at about 600 of MSRP which is tempting. I have not found a bunch of reviews and feedback on the ride quality of Z3 so I was wondering how the bike soaks up rough road and bumps compared to other bikes previously listed in this thread.

Yeah I know go ride the bikes . . . just starting to do research right now and trying to make a shorter list.

#24 ·
The Z3 from 2013 has some differences in the bottom bracket area compared to the Z5. I would go with the Z3 if you settle on Felt and it fits the budget. The current Z4 and Z5 might be different. You are probably splitting hairs amongst these bikes. Felt gets less coverage than the other two, but they all will likely ride pretty similar for most of us. If I had to rank based on what I have experienced from tests and what I have read, I would rank them like this for performance only based on my interests and riding style(assuming you are talking about similarly spec'd bikes). For what it's worth, it really all does come down to the fit and test ride though:

1. Synapse
2. Roubaix
3. Z Series

Felt's pricing generally bumps them to the top of lists like this for me because of value as they are all good bikes. You might want to check out the Devinci Leo SL as well. Colnago, Scott, and Bianchi also have some pretty cool endurance frames out right now that some folks are overlooking and then there's always the BMC Granfondo GF01 which a lot of people love.

Here's some reviews of the Felt Z Series:

2013 Felt Z2 Road Bike Review « MVP Cycle Center

Felt Z2 Road Bike Review | Road Cycling UK

First ride: Felt?s new Z2 carbon road bike with Di2 | Bicycle Times Magazine

Felt Z2 ? first ride review?. | Performance Cycles, Poulton

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/felt/sharing-my-new-2013-felt-z2-experience-310626.html

#25 ·
Thanks for a response. I had seen those reviews but it was my understanding that the Z2 frame was different than the Z3-Z5 series. The Z3 has a different fork than the Z5.

Also looking at a Trek Domane 4.5 (2013) which is the same price as the 2013 Felt Z3. The Domane seems to get overwhelming praise for its ability to smooth out the ride which has me interested.

#26 ·
The Z2 is still pretty close man (same series and same manufacturer), so the reviews are still going to give you a good deal of insight. The Z2 is just the bike everyone elected to test from that series last year. I've heard good things about the Trek as well. Some have said that the front end can be a little stiff as compared to the back, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Again, it comes down to preference and a test ride as they are all really similar. I guess the one thing you can say for the Roubaix, new Synapse, Devinci Leo SL (Kenda 5 Hour Energy), and Domane is that they have pro tour testing and ride feedback whereas the Argos Shimano team elected not to ride the Z Series in the spring classics. The Ridley Fenix is also another one that has this kind of input (ridden by the Lotto team).

#28 ·
It depends on where you live, but there are a number of good ones in the D.C. metro area, a few in Oregon and NY/NJ that I have had good experiences at. The best thing to do though would be to go to the Felt thread and ask SD (Dave the Felt Road brand manager) what some good shops in your area are. I would also let him know about your negative experience and how it deterred you from getting a Felt.

#30 ·
I should have added that my favorite bikes in this category are the BMC Granfondo GF01 and the Look 675/ 675 Light. That's based on having race worthy stiffness, some integration, comfort, and a cool feature or two. I also like slightly taller headtubes, but don't like them to get too tall. I prefer a sub 1000 gram frame, but so long as I can build the bike around 16lbs at a reasonable price, I'm good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.