Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349

    Canyon Bikes Finally Coming to the U.S. 3rd Quarter 2017

    I thought this might interest a few folks and tick off a few others. I personally like their bikes and I am interested in seeing what the U.S. prices are....


    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/

    https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/02/01...rect-delivery/
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  2. #2
    Crank Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I thought this might interest a few folks and tick off a few others. I personally like their bikes and I am interested in seeing what the U.S. prices are....


    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/

    https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/02/01...rect-delivery/
    This isn't really 'new' news... I think it was announced around the start of the year, but i guess you missed it. I think that they'll see some initial success, but I think it'll level off, once people can really check the bikes out in person. Right now, I think there's a lot of interest and people 'lust' for them because they can't get them. I think once they begin to show up here and people see that they're pretty comparable to the other big bike companies, like Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc, a lot of that lure wears off. They do provide more competition though, which is always good for the consumer.

    I'm more interested to see what Allied does.
    ___________________________
    2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador

    www.Crankaddicts.cc

    www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    This isn't really 'new' news... I think it was announced around the start of the year, but i guess you missed it. I think that they'll see some initial success, but I think it'll level off, once people can really check the bikes out in person. Right now, I think there's a lot of interest and people 'lust' for them because they can't get them. I think once they begin to show up here and people see that they're pretty comparable to the other big bike companies, like Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc, a lot of that lure wears off. They do provide more competition though, which is always good for the consumer.

    I'm more interested to see what Allied does.
    Nah, I didn't miss it, we have been discussing it in another thread that nobody really frequents for months now. I just wanted to include more people in the discussion. Clarification on the timeline is an update though. They had to push their initial projections back about 2 months or so ago. I agree on quality, but their pricing is better than Specialized and Trek in my opinion. It's more in line with Giant and Fuji, so if those are more your budget and you like Canyon bikes more than those two, this could be big news for you indefinitely. I am excited to see what the pricing is like and then will go from there. Agree on competition.

  4. #4
    Crank Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Nah, I didn't miss it, we have been discussing it in another thread that nobody really frequents for months now. I just wanted to include more people in the discussion. Clarification on the timeline is an update though. They had to push their initial projections back about 2 months or so ago. I agree on quality, but their pricing is better than Specialized and Trek in my opinion. It's more in line with Giant and Fuji, so if those are more your budget and you like Canyon bikes more than those two, this could be big news for you indefinitely. I am excited to see what the pricing is like and then will go from there. Agree on competition.
    Yes, but you're basing the 'value' on the pricing as shown on the european website. They haven't released any US pricing yet and it is quite possible that pricing here could be slightly higher depending on supply chain issues getting the bike to the US, which would knock down some of their value. I've also heard very mixed reviews on quality. Some people say its good, but others have had less than stellar things to say.... I'm talking about people that I actually know that have seen and worked on the bikes, people that I trust. I've also read very mixed reviews on their warranty and repair process, which again knocks the value down when comparing to the bikes that have good warranty and service at shops here in the US.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm interested too. I think the Aeroad looks great and the TT bike too, but I want to see and touch, first, before making up my mind.
    ___________________________
    2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador

    www.Crankaddicts.cc

    www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Yes, but you're basing the 'value' on the pricing as shown on the european website. They haven't released any US pricing yet and it is quite possible that pricing here could be slightly higher depending on supply chain issues getting the bike to the US, which would knock down some of their value. I've also heard very mixed reviews on quality. Some people say its good, but others have had less than stellar things to say.... I'm talking about people that I actually know that have seen and worked on the bikes, people that I trust. I've also read very mixed reviews on their warranty and repair process, which again knocks the value down when comparing to the bikes that have good warranty and service at shops here in the US.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm interested too. I think the Aeroad looks great and the TT bike too, but I want to see and touch, first, before making up my mind.
    The article indicates that the pricing should be similar, but I hear ya, have heard some of the same things, and even agree with a lot of what you said, but I am still interested to see how it all plays out.

  6. #6
    JSR
    JSR is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,496
    FWIW - I read one interview in which the President of Canyon intimated they were setting up some kind of relationship with US shops to perform service.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    FWIW - I read one interview in which the President of Canyon intimated they were setting up some kind of relationship with US shops to perform service.
    That could be really cool.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Anyone interested in the opinion of some RBR peeps, can find that here:

    Anyone on Canyon???
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    927
    I think this is interesting because it's the first of the European high end direct bike sellers to come into the US market in a big way. The European market is dominated by direct sales companies like Canyon, Propain, YT, Commencal, PlanetX, Boardman, Bulls, Kinesis, Genesis etc. I have no idea how European bike shops survive. These brands all make some really nice, desirable and unique bikes. They all also have nice packaging, include tools and include detailed instructions to make assembly easy. Some of these brands will sell to people in the US but there's no real marketing of their products here. In the US we have BikesDirect (primarily at the low end and with negligible customer service) and that's about it. Americans seem wary about the idea of direct bike sales. The market is crying out for someone to sell the good stuff at a good price. Canyon has had numerous distribution and supply chain issues in the past, we'll see how they do in a market the size of the US.

  10. #10
    JSR
    JSR is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,496
    Here is an on-topic interview with Roman Arnold, Canyon CEO. It appears the comments are from autumn 2015, giving insight to the US strategy in place at that time.

    Canyon's Roman Arnold Speaks - Slowtwitch.com

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I thought this might interest a few folks and tick off a few others. I personally like their bikes and I am interested in seeing what the U.S. prices are....


    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/

    https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/02/01...rect-delivery/
    Once a bunch of people in the US have them, are they going to maintain the same level of hype and hysteria? I am sure they have some good bikes but are they any better than any other bike out there?

  12. #12
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,271
    Just another Chinese plastic bike. Whoopee! If there's on thing we need more of, its that.

    I remember when I was growing up in Missouri and you could only find Coors beer as far east as Kansas. People would actually go on road trips to pick up cases of that mythical beer that you couldn't get in the liquor store. Then Coors went nationwide and everyone realized what miserable swill that stuff is. I think the same goes for Canyon. Best friend's girlfriend kinda thing.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,600
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Just another Chinese plastic bike. Whoopee! If there's on thing we need more of, its that.

    I remember when I was growing up in Missouri and you could only find Coors beer as far east as Kansas. People would actually go on road trips to pick up cases of that mythical beer that you couldn't get in the liquor store. Then Coors went nationwide and everyone realized what miserable swill that stuff is. I think the same goes for Canyon. Best friend's girlfriend kinda thing.
    That's the same analogy I've used in the past about Canyon.

    In fairness though Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada might be more accurate than Coors. Pretty good. But when totally available just another choice. From what I understand Canyon isn't the worse bike ever made like coors is to beer.

    That only addressed the part of their demand that comes from people wanting to be different though. We'll have to see what their pricing is like to speculate how they'll do with people looking for a bargain.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 03-20-2017 at 09:38 AM.

  14. #14
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,871
    If you see a brand of bicycle in a race where Phil & Paul do commentary, it'll create lust for the brand. I've been fascinated by the Canyon brand for several years now. I want to see one in the flesh...er...plastic. I wanna put my leg over it. By the same token, though, I will only entertain buying a Canyon if mine comes straight from Germany and Herr Kanyon personally scribbles his imprimateur on the frame. Harrumph!
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Once a bunch of people in the US have them, are they going to maintain the same level of hype and hysteria? I am sure they have some good bikes but are they any better than any other bike out there?
    My guess is that will depend on the U.S. pricing and what people that own them report back...
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Just another Chinese plastic bike. Whoopee! If there's on thing we need more of, its that.

    I remember when I was growing up in Missouri and you could only find Coors beer as far east as Kansas. People would actually go on road trips to pick up cases of that mythical beer that you couldn't get in the liquor store. Then Coors went nationwide and everyone realized what miserable swill that stuff is. I think the same goes for Canyon. Best friend's girlfriend kinda thing.
    What's your real point here? At some point, you folks are going to have to get over the fact, that bikes are made of a bunch a different materials these days, and carbon fiber is one of them and currently one of the most popular for multiple reasons. It doesn't mean you have to buy it, but to keep harping on it like this only makes you look foolish (and the rest of us tired of hearing it). If you prefer steel or titanium, great, others don't and aren't required to, it's really that simple. There are enough options out there for everyone to find what they prefer without constantly calling out one material as evil or not worthy of existence. It's childish....
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 03-21-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: smartyiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    ... but I think it'll level off, once people can really check the bikes out in person. Right now, I think there's a lot of interest and people 'lust' for them because they can't get them.
    Given some comments on other forums, I think it will level off once people realize they CAN'T get them. While they're "available" in Europe, some of the wait times seem to be crazy.

  18. #18
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    What's your real point here? At some point, you folks are going to have to get over the fact, that bikes are made of a bunch a different materials these days, and carbon fiber is one of them an currently one of the most popular for multiple reasons. It doesn't mean you have to buy it, but to keep harping on it like this only makes you look foolish (and the rest of us tired of hearing it). If you prefer steel or titanium, great, others don't and aren't required to, it's really that simple. There are enough options out there for everyone to find what they prefer without constantly calling out one material as evil or not worthy of existence. It's childish....
    I was riding a monocoque carbon fiber bike back when you were probably still sucking your thumb. I'm in the process of renovating a carbon fiber Colnago. I have nothing against carbon fiber. Where in my post did I say it was evil? I think you're the one who is being childish.

  19. #19
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Reputation: kbwh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,751
    Canyon is pretty much all the rage round here, not only because a certain Herr Kristoff rides one for a living, but also because the pricing is good an the quality even better. The most talked about model on the main Norwegian road cycling forum now is the Endurace, which steers like a proper race bike, and not like a sluggish Synapse or Roubaix. People manage to fit 35 mm studded tyres in the disc brake version, which now also comes in Al. I am seriously contemplating an Endurace Al disc 105 for commuting and crap weather training.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I was riding a monocoque carbon fiber bike back when you were probably still sucking your thumb. I'm in the process of renovating a carbon fiber Colnago. I have nothing against carbon fiber. Where in my post did I say it was evil? I think you're the one who is being childish.
    If that truly is the case (that you think carbon fiber bikes that happen to be made in East Asia, like most bikes are these days, are just great and swell), then, again, what on Earth was your point with "plastic" "Chinese" mumbo jumbo? Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question so you don't need to answer. Just know the whole plastic and Chinese bit is old and tired at this point.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Canyon is pretty much all the rage round here, not only because a certain Herr Kristoff rides one for a living, but also because the pricing is good an the quality even better. The most talked about model on the main Norwegian road cycling forum now is the Endurace, which steers like a proper race bike, and not like a sluggish Synapse or Roubaix. People manage to fit 35 mm studded tyres in the disc brake version, which now also comes in Al. I am seriously contemplating an Endurace Al disc 105 for commuting and crap weather training.
    FWIW, This is consistent with what I have heard from people on RBR that own them.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Just another Chinese plastic bike. Whoopee! If there's on thing we need more of, its that.
    I kind of agree with this.

    I remember when I was growing up in Missouri and you could only find Coors beer as far east as Kansas. People would actually go on road trips to pick up cases of that mythical beer that you couldn't get in the liquor store. Then Coors went nationwide and everyone realized what miserable swill that stuff is. I think the same goes for Canyon. Best friend's girlfriend kinda thing.
    Perhaps, but in fairness Canyons do have excellent design and paint aesthetics. Also, their mountain bikes are apparently really good for the money. Lastly, if you can go by their videos they actually do some extensive safety testing.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    I kind of agree with this.

    Perhaps, but in fairness Canyons do have excellent design and paint aesthetics. Also, their mountain bikes are apparently really good for the money. Lastly, if you can go by their videos they actually do some extensive safety testing.
    Having more options is always a good thing for the consumer, and the direct to consumer approach may have some impact on the marketplace (I would not shed a tear if it took business away from Trek and Specialized stores). Nonetheless, I can't help think that the "I cant buy it yet" is fueling a elevated opinion of the brand

  24. #24
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    If that truly is the case (that you think carbon fiber bikes that happen to be made in East Asia, like most bikes are these days, are just great and swell), then, again, what on Earth was your point with "plastic" "Chinese" mumbo jumbo? Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question so you don't need to answer. Just know the whole plastic and Chinese bit is old and tired at this point.
    Yeah, that truly is the case. Back in the day, that carbon bike was considered exotic. I told a friend of mine that I couldn't keep the bike in my car in the summer because it would melt. And that if I dropped it when it was really cold, it would shatter. He believed me. The bike was made in California.

    Sorry to piss on your parade. Seems like you're really excited to ride one of these bikes. They're a real hit in Norway -- a country legendary for cycling. Some pro team rides them, so they must be really good, right? All that means is that they're paying these guys to ride them. Same old "plastic/Chinese bikes"? The bike industry, like so many others, have gone to Asia due to cheap labor costs. So now, the vast proportion of carbon fiber bikes are made in a handful of huge factories. Is this a good thing? Is another offering with different decals you haven't been able to buy so far in the U.S. really a new choice? Or is it just the same old sh!t you already see at any bike store you walk into? Remember Focus bikes? Designed in Germany! Their introduction into the U.S. reminds me of Canyon. The wow factor dropped off pretty fast when they ended up at Performance Bike stores along side the Performance Scattante house brand. Probably made in the same factory. Sorry not to share your enthusiasm. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful bike. They all are.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yeah, that truly is the case. Back in the day, that carbon bike was considered exotic. I told a friend of mine that I couldn't keep the bike in my car in the summer because it would melt. And that if I dropped it when it was really cold, it would shatter. He believed me. The bike was made in California.

    Sorry to piss on your parade. Seems like you're really excited to ride one of these bikes. They're a real hit in Norway -- a country legendary for cycling. Some pro team rides them, so they must be really good, right? All that means is that they're paying these guys to ride them. Same old "plastic/Chinese bikes"? The bike industry, like so many others, have gone to Asia due to cheap labor costs. So now, the vast proportion of carbon fiber bikes are made in a handful of huge factories. Is this a good thing? Is another offering with different decals you haven't been able to buy so far in the U.S. really a new choice? Or is it just the same old sh!t you already see at any bike store you walk into? Remember Focus bikes? Designed in Germany! Their introduction into the U.S. reminds me of Canyon. The wow factor dropped off pretty fast when they ended up at Performance Bike stores along side the Performance Scattante house brand. Probably made in the same factory. Sorry not to share your enthusiasm. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful bike. They all are.
    If you look at the beginning/middle of the thread, there are a number of RBR members that own Canyon bikes and like them. In fact, most people that own and ride them that I have heard of have nothing but good things to say. Not pros being paid, just regular folks like the rest of us. Furthermore, I actually could care less what you think about Canyon, just tired of hearing carbon and Asian production criticized without there being much merit to the argument. You haven't altered what I think about carbon fiber bikes, Canyon, or factories in Asia the slightest, so don't worry. I just hope we can finally stop hearing your plastic bikes monologue. That was my real point. Still not sure what yours is....

    Also, newsflash: most road bikes are pretty similar when you get down to it. Nobody claimed Canyon bikes were utterly unuique. Just that it is a new brand in the U.S. Focus Bikes also still exists by the way and they are still making quality stuff in most people's opinions. Finally, there is nothing wrong, in my opinion, with people shopping based on looks/aesthetics, weight, ride quality, need for a change, price, and/or value. You may see things differently and that's cool too.

    https://www.focus-bikes.com/us_en/
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 03-21-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Double century - Specialized Roubaix 2017 or Canyon Ultimate CF SLX?
    By dorin in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-01-2016, 09:25 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2016, 04:37 PM
  3. Canyon Available in USA in 2017 (Press Release)
    By krtassoc in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 06-19-2016, 05:11 PM
  4. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM
  5. Coming in 2017???
    By MerlinAma in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 06:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •