Thread: Canyon USA

JerseyJane
    Jun 2018

Canyon USA

Has anyone ordered a Canyon bicycle from their new USA website? I would appreciate some reviews and feedback before I take the plunge!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've seen a few posts from people who have so maybe try the search function. I believe the posts were on the general forum but not sure.

From what I remember reading the experience people had in general has not been good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I had a stellar experience. Super fast ship, very good packaging/protection. Just make sure you lube everything they recommend. I had some drivetrain noise that I traced to dry freehub splines. May need to put a touch on the seatpost, etc.

Mine is an eTap Endurace. Upgraded from a 2012 Roubaix - LOVE the Canyon!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    a friend ordered a bike and his experience has been positive

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    There is a thread about Canyon USA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I have had my Aeroad for about 3 weeks. Great experience so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I know you want this for the USA, but I have never heard of anyone over here in the Benelux clubs---and there a ton of Canyon riders, by far the most popular bike brand the past 1-2 years---who've had a bad experience buying from Canyon. What's even crazier here is knowing guys who've sent them back because "they" (not Canyon) made a mistake and Canyon still sent them out a new, complete bike no questions asked. I have to say, I have been repeatedly tempted to get one from Canyon myself. The Endurace and components Canyon puts on there, at prices sometimes 40% below what other manufacturers can match (depending on which Endurace you get), is just unreal.

Canyon keeps growing like this (they were once only 1/15 the size of Trek, they now, in a very short time, are only 1/3-1/4 the size of Trek---think about that), and people keep acting like the "online buy direct" model will never apply to the stand-alone physically-located bike shop, might be quite remorseful in the future. I remember this same stuff being said about Amazon back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Canyon can become dominant here if they play their cards right. A few guys I know are not directly employed by Canyon, but have a thriving side business where they travel to people's houses, do a bike consult and fit, and then sit down at those people's houses and computers & order from Canyon a new bike for that person (and sometimes the whole family, if they ride).

Bike dealers are gonna struggle mightily (even more than they do now) in the near future, they just don't know it yet. Incredibly, they will vociferously say that non of Canyon's direct-to-consumer model applies. Yup, sure, it can't possibly apply......
    Last edited by BelgianHammer; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:52 AM.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    How do you order a bike without knowing about the fit? Maybe it's different for me, being an outlier dimension-wise. I'd never buy a bike without getting fitted first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    How do you order a bike without knowing about the fit? Maybe it's different for me, being an outlier dimension-wise. I'd never buy a bike without getting fitted first.
    dmanthree,

Think about every item, from clothes to shoes to body-fitting add-ons, to cars, to etc, etc that Amazon and others have crushed the past 5 years.

Fitting is becoming an add-on service, and its value is dropping radically given the educational nature of the Internet.

Read what I wrote previously: there are bike fitters with a nice business that travel to people's homes, and bring with them all the tools necessary to do just as a good a fit as what the bike shops---hoping that their technology-wizardry devices---provides. Dealers for years have attempted to fool the public into believing this technological-wizardry (and, worse, their supposed knowledge) provides some sort of "better fit".

With a knowledgeable individual, with no manufacturer and/or in-stock inventory axe to grind, a bike fitting at home is just as powerful, and arguably more powerful (since you are relaxed and in your home) than what occurs in a bike shop. Owners will never admit this, but the truth is and has been proven otherwise.

Watch the change that occurs the next 10 years. Even as I sit here and type this, there is an incredible conversation going on in Specialized about beginning to go "direct-to-consumer". If it happens, the bike industry dealer will radically change overnight, as others (think Trek, Giant, etc) will not be able to ignore it.

Bike dealers won't disappear totally, but they will change significantly, and hopefully for the better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    Dimensions are dimensions. Ordering a bike on-line is not the same thing as ordering a bike without knowing about it's fit for people who already know what the need and know how to read a geometry chart.

And if you're not comfortable with that yourself, "getting fit first" and ordering on-line are not mutually exclusive either. Any decent fitter can tell you which frame to get and recommend tweeks to the stem or whatever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    Fitting is becoming an add-on service, and its value is dropping radically given the educational nature of the Internet.

Read what I wrote previously: there are bike fitters with a nice business that travel to people's homes, and bring with them all the tools necessary to do just as a good a fit as what the bike shops---hoping that their technology-wizardry devices---provides. Dealers for years have attempted to fool the public into believing this technological-wizardry (and, worse, their supposed knowledge) provides some sort of "better fit".
    Watch the change that occurs the next 10 years.
    Very possible. Here is a scene out of movie Total Recall (1990) depicting the future in-house tennis instructor.

Canyon USA-e18919137a51742f75fecee16dde296c-total-recall-sharon-stone.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Buddy just ordered a speedmax Friday and it should be here mid week. He's had nothing but positive things to say about Canyon so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2016
    I've been looking over building up a Chinese frame the last while. I'm moving soon within just a few miles of the US/Canada border so looked up getting a Canyon and picking up through a US PO Box. It's hard to look past the value. By the time the Chinese bike is built up the price is the same. If only Canyon had a Campagnolo Potenza disc available in the US.