RoadBikeReview Member

carbon 1" threaded fork needed

Hi, just purchased a titanium frame and I'd like to run a threaded carbon fork to go with a quill stem.

* Can anyone please suggest a decent carbon fork around $100?
    * Winwood RT carbon fork... any reviews?

Thanks in advance

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why wouldn't you go threadless? I got rid of a ton of weight as well as the perpetual creaking of the quill by switching out forks on my old Merckx. Never regretted it, and looks cool.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your best bet might be to search for one on eBay.

You can buy 1" carbon forks with threadless steerers at Soma bikes, Torelli and other sources, but threaded forks are getting hard to find unless you're looking for steel. I just sold a used Serotta carbon fork with a threaded steerer, but that doesn't help you now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    If you can find a low mileage old Time, Serotta, Look or Kestrel EMS fork that someone has upgraded off their bike, that would be good.

Otherwise, Nashbar has a basic threaded carbon fork, probably made by Kinesis.

Winwoods have decent reputations.

In this day and age, I think quill stems and threaded headsets are a little pointless and quite heavy, but it's your bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    If you can find a low mileage old Time, Serotta, Look or Kestrel EMS fork that someone has upgraded off their bike, that would be good.

Otherwise, Nashbar has a basic threaded carbon fork, probably made by Kinesis.

Winwoods have decent reputations.

In this day and age, I think quill stems and threaded headsets are a little pointless and quite heavy, but it's your bike.
    I agree with you on most points, but if the OP has a classic frameset, it should be complimented with components from that vintage IMO. Ti tends to have a timeless look to it so he can go either way. Quills are heavier and not as user friendly, but from as aesthetics standpoint, I think they actually look better on a classic looking frame. Heck, you can even buy a threadless fork and buy an adapter for it to accept a stem that looks like a quill stem. Weight? Sure it's heavier but I doubt the OP is a weight weenie like most of us roadies. We can deny it, but most of us have at least a little of the weight weenie bug in us. The OP has his points for wanting it and they are just as valid as your points for not considering it. It's just a matter of taste.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett
    I agree with you on most points, but if the OP has a classic frameset, it should be complimented with components from that vintage IMO. Ti tends to have a timeless look to it so he can go either way. Quills are heavier and not as user friendly, but from as aesthetics standpoint, I think they actually look better on a classic looking frame. Heck, you can even buy a threadless fork and buy an adapter for it to accept a stem that looks like a quill stem. Weight? Sure it's heavier but I doubt the OP is a weight weenie like most of us roadies. We can deny it, but most of us have at least a little of the weight weenie bug in us. The OP has his points for wanting it and they are just as valid as your points for not considering it. It's just a matter of taste.
    I don't know how much more classic a Ti frame with a 1" headtube is compared to a new Ti frame with a 1 1/8" headtube. They look pretty much identical to me.

I have 3 Ti road frames with 1" headtubes. They all now have threadless and look great, are much lighter and are easier to swap stems and adjust headsets.

If this were a thread about a classic lugged frame, I could see what you mean, but many brand new Ti frames look identical to what was being sold 20 years ago.

However, I think I already disclaimed "it's your bike", and gave 5 recommendations in line with the OPs request. Is that not good enough?

RoadBikeReview Member
    All comments are appreciated... Yes, the ti-frame does have classic geometry and my thinking has been that a quill stem would compliment it well. I already have a carbon bike that's under 16lbs and that I ride the heck out of on weekend club rides. I think it's fair to say we all love bikes and having variety of bikes for different occasions is not bad either... The ti-bike would be my coffee-go-getter. Plus, I have a very nice threaded chris king headset to go with it.

A guy from Norway
    I had that same dilemma, but figured I was down to either a new treadles or an old threaded steel.
    Those old CF forks, thou some of them USED to be good wouldn't be as good alternative.
    I wanted to keep the old quill look thou as tthe bike has a classy geometry (Tom Kellogg)

Ended up going treadles. have a Alpha Q fork that I actually find better, but I wanted a sloped fork.

I found the slimmest spacers I could, actually thinner than a 1-1/8" and a steel stem.
    Think much of the old classy look is kept. I'll sand down some decals on the fork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carbon 1" threaded fork needed-merlinsmall.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wasn't going to do this, but now that the ball is rolling - gallery of Ti bikes with threadless forks, exhibit 2:

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM