강남 스타일

Carbon forks that look good on a steel frame

Anything out there with skinny legs? Almost everything else I've seen is pretty chunky looking. The Ritchey forks look pretty tight. Anything else?

PIITWhat?

강남 스타일
    Thanks for the quick response. I was aware of that one, but discounted it because it's a little porky for a carbon/Al fork. I should have written in my OP that it would be nice to get below 500g, or something like 350g for full carbon. I guess pretty much all carbon forks ride nicely--is that even a concern these days?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    I run a Ritchey on a steel frame and it looks and rides well.

The Wound up fork looks good too but is a bit heavy.

PIITWhat?
    Quote Originally Posted by heedongyee View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I was aware of that one, but discounted it because it's a little porky for a carbon/Al fork. I should have written in my OP that it would be nice to get below 500g, or something like 350g for full carbon. I guess pretty much all carbon forks ride nicely--is that even a concern these days?
    Oh, yeah. It's not light, but I think it rides well.

How skinny is skinny, to you?

I don't think they're being produced anymore, but the Bontrager Satellite forks weren't overly chunky (but almost certainly doesn't meet your desired weight). IMO, the Easton EC70 and EC90 forks look pretty decent on steel frames. EC70 doesn't meet your weight goal, but the EC90 does, just barely.

Those, the IRDs and the Ritchey forks are about all I could really find when I was looking for a carbon fork for my steel bike. Settled on the IRD because it most closely matched the geometry of the original fork.

Good luck. Let us know if you find something.

EDIT: One thing you might try, if you haven't already, is to check out a number of custom frame builders web pages. On their pricing list they usually show a couple carbon forks as options. They're likely to list something that will look good with steel.
    Last edited by Love Commander; 11-14-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Climbin' Clyde
    Alpha-Q's looked good for steel to me, though they may only be available on the 'Bay now.

Climbin' Clyde
    also - I searched around myself trying to find a slender-legged carbon fork for the Tanaka I built up for my stepdaughter. Its a Profile SC - also long out of production, but I see a few on eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Columbus Minimal fork was designed for use on steel framed bikes. I have a Columbus Carve on mine and I have no complaints.

강남 스타일
    Ok thanks for the tips. In particular, LC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post

The Wound up fork looks good too but is a bit heavy.
    My partner runs a Wound Up on her steel Seven and really likes it. Worth a look for sure.

Wound Up
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Hi
    Time Equipe Pro. Not only does it look good, it's an excellent flex match for steel frames. Most "new" forks not only look too beefy, they are too stiff, and it feels like you're riding the fork rather than a bike, if you know what i mean.

Spanky, one of the best steel frames on the planet.

강남 스타일
    That is sexy.

Did the Profile SC and Time Equipe Pro come in 1-1/8"?

강남 스타일
    It seems Columbus makes skinny forks too. It'll probably be either Ritchey or Columbus as they're both quality stuff. The frame is Columbus Foco, but I also have a few WCS parts going on this build, so the question now is how to theme it...

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by heedongyee View Post
    That is sexy.

Did the Profile SC and Time Equipe Pro come in 1-1/8"?
    i believe so but they will be fairly rare. The bike originally had a Wound-Up, which was reccomended by Ibis, but it was death-stiff and destroyed the ride characteristics. The Time is no less stable but feels soooo much better IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Nashbar

I have one on a older steel frame and it's not out of place. It's available both threaded and threadless and the price can't be beat.

Threadless:

Nashbar Carbon Road Bike Fork - Road Bike Forks

Threaded:

Nashbar Carbon Threaded Road Fork - Normal Shipping Ground

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I was going to suggest looking at the Nashbar fork also. I am having a bar height issue with my old Concorde steel frame/fork bike and am considering the Nashbar fork so I can use modern stems without having to use a heavy and ugly quill stem adapter. At $89 the Nashbar fork is thin, looks good and is priced right! You can get a fork and decent headset for less than $130 shipped. Hard to beat.

Damn it's hot here
    I am looking at the nashbar fork for 1-1/8 thdless....want to replace the steel fork on my raleigh Rush hour fixie..

do I need all those special tools to do this? so much to buy or have bike shop install, have watched some how to videos online, seems like a lot of tool specific for this

강남 스타일
    Ordered the Columbus Minimal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Dario Pegoretti's new carbon Falz fork was designed to match the looks of oversized steel. You cannot see it from this pic but the shoulders are flatish like a steel fork.

EDIT: Found a Zanconato using a Falz. There are a bunch of custom steel guys that are using Pegoretti's fork.

강남 스타일
    Very happy with the Columbus--323g cut w/crown race ain't bad either!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Nice Steel Allez Comp frame. They only made those Foco frames for a few years, '03 & '04 if I remember right. I had one just like yours & sold it. Somewhat regret that decision now. Not that it matters anymore, but that frame came with a specialized C3 or C4 carbon fork that looked pretty good. The C4 version is all carbon & was pretty light.They pop up on ebay occasionally. Anyway, nice ride. Interesting 1x10 gearing. How do you keep the chain on the single front ring from coming off when cross chained in the back?

강남 스타일
    Thanks, I just finished the build and have only taken it out once but had no problems. I'm running a singlespeed chainring up front and am hopeful the tall teeth will prevent chain drops. If not I'll pursue other options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    The ec90 road fork is pretty slender as well as light, I'm 215 and it's held up to me for around 10k fine.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    If you like the looks of the wound up....that's about as skinny as you can get. Personally, I think it's butt-ugly...YMMV The pegoretti fork would be my first choice. You didn't mention what type of steel frame, lugs, tig or Fillet brazed. IMO, if it's lugged...why would you put anything other than a steel fork? If it's not, what tube sizes are being used? Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.