RoadBikeReview Member

Carbon frame repair: Calfee vs Spyder Composites?

Looking for best option to repair a damaged seat stay on my Cervelo R3. Reached out to several carbon frame repair companies. All indicate that as far as they can tell - won't know for sure until frame is in-hand - that repair and matching to "good as new" is possible.

Does anyone have any yea's or nea's to offer about Calfee Design or Spyder Composites for carbon repair work?

Thanks!

Mid-stay damage:

Bottom of stay, hard to see in photo but it's right above the curve of the dropout...

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think you can go wrong with Calfee (not familiar with Spyder) but to throw another name out there look at RR Velo. Edgar at RR Velo did an excellent job at repairing my carbon frame. In the end your the one riding it, go with your gut feeling on who you think will do the best job (as there are many shops that repair it).

Not Banned

I've never heard

anyone complain about a Calfee repair
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I had exactly the same thing repaired on the same place on an R3 as well. Calfee did it, and turn around was like 3 weeks. Really happy with it, and it rode great. No experience with Spyder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd have had my broken Felt F1 toptube repaired by Calfee if Felt hadn't insisted on having it back. They do great work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by persondude27 View Post
    I had exactly the same thing repaired on the same place on an R3 as well. Calfee did it, and turn around was like 3 weeks. Really happy with it, and it rode great.
    Did you have a crack by drop-out as well?

What was the cost - repair and frame?

Did you have an LBS handle the back-and-forth?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I've been looking up frame repair as well. I'm going to go with Spyder Composites. Their repairs look really good on their Facebook page. They also quoted a really good price for repairing my seat stay. I sent Calfee an email with pics asking about repairing my frame and never got an email back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    I sent Calfee an email with pics asking about repairing my frame and never got an email back.
    Yeah - that's my experience as well. Emails to two different people, no response. Business must be good.

PSC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Velonews did an article on this last month:

Carbon repair: Options for repairing carbon bike frames

Good luck.

Carbon Repair Guy

Cfr

Hi RJP Diver,

Thanks for sending us an email regarding your Cervelo. In case you didn't see them on our website, we've done several repairs on Cervelo frames.

Here are a couple examples:

Cervelo Soloist Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair

Cervelo R3 CSC Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair

We've also done repairs for other RBR forum members:

Carbon Fiber repaired

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
    Kurt Gensheimer

CarbonFrameRepair.com
    Your source for quality, professional carbon bicycle frame repair
    Like us on Facebook

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I had a frame with two cracks in a seat stay repaired by Spyder Composites just a couple weeks ago. Turn-around time was under two weeks but we live close enough to drop off and pick up the frame in person. Others have reported longer repair times. It did take a few calls to keep things on track; Frank seems very busy. The repair work was first-rate, practically imperceptible, strong, and the paint work, two colors and a decal, look perfect. The price was also very reasonable.

"El Bwana"
    Harry Havnoonian (outside of Philly) also did carbon repair. Not sure if he still does.

H.H. Racing Group
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    As long as this thread has been dredged up, I thought I would mention that I had the work done by Spyder Composites.

Very happy with the work - bike came back "indistinguishable from new" to the point that my LBS checked the serial number to see if they had actually sent the same frame back. I even had to think for a bit which side was broken, because the repair was not apparent at all.

Very happy with the cost - $160 for the repair, including paint matching. By contrast, Calfee's estimate for the repair was nearly 2x the cost PLUS $100 for paint.

Thumbs up for Spyder Composites!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    I'd throw in Alchemy Bicycle Co. in Austin, TX.
    Awesome guys.
    Kirklee is also a damn wizz if you're not in a rush.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Beware of Spyder Composites. They will tell you it takes 2 weeks to fix your bike. A week after they received my bike they emailed me an invoice and said the bike had been repaired. Once paid, they stopped replying to emails and voicemail. It has been 2 months since I paid and I still don't have my bike. When I called , they were nasty, confrontational and evasive. I was called a "********" and said the reason for the delay was because "Cannondale makes shitty bikes." Bottom line: Spyder is clueless when it comes to customer service and they have no sense of urgency.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I used Spyder Composites and they did a great job. You could not tell the difference when completed. Yes it did take time so it may not be a place for a type A personality. Spyder does excellent work but it will take time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    No offense. Just a question: Is it satisfactory for you to pay $300 for carbon repair and paint recovery?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tsai View Post
    No offense. Just a question: Is it satisfactory for you to pay $300 for carbon repair and paint recovery?
    No offense. But to avoid the Socratic method, what are your responses to the question answered "yes", and then to the question answered "no".

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ikedana View Post
    Beware of Spyder Composites. They will tell you it takes 2 weeks to fix your bike. A week after they received my bike they emailed me an invoice and said the bike had been repaired. Once paid, they stopped replying to emails and voicemail. It has been 2 months since I paid and I still don't have my bike. When I called , they were nasty, confrontational and evasive. I was called a "********" and said the reason for the delay was because "Cannondale makes shitty bikes." Bottom line: Spyder is clueless when it comes to customer service and they have no sense of urgency.
    I wish I saw this post before I sent them my frame...Promised 2 weeks, 6 weeks and counting now. They said its was finished 4 weeks ago. Every time I contact them for the tracking number, just excuses, good thing is profanity not involved yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels View Post
    I wish I saw this post before I sent them my frame...Promised 2 weeks, 6 weeks and counting now. They said its was finished 4 weeks ago. Every time I contact them for the tracking number, just excuses, good thing is profanity not involved yet.
    Same old, same old. "Search" is your friend.