Enthusiast
    Apr 2018

Carerra racer - what year could it have been made?

I will get offered to buy a Carerra racer tomorrow, and am trying to find out a bit about it.
    Alu frame, carbon fork, Durace shifters and cogs, that I know.

See the pics. Can anyone see or guess what year this bike was produced approximately?
    Carerra racer - what year could it have been made?-carrera-full-pic.jpgCarerra racer - what year could it have been made?-duraace.jpgCarerra racer - what year could it have been made?-grar-brake-levers-duraace.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    '90-96? Stephen Roche rode for Carrera in '87, winning the Giro, TDF, and World Championship, but the STI shifters are mid '90s, no?

Small frame. Have you ridden it yet? If it fits, looks like a winner!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 04-28-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Enthusiast
    Apr 2018
    Thanks! Will be able to ride it tomorrow! I will go with mid 90's. Thanks!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    '90-96? Stephen Roche rode for Carrera in '87, winning the Giro, TDF, and World Championship, but the STI shifters are mid '90s, no?

Small frame. Have you ridden it yet? If it fits, looks like a winner!
    It's newer than that for sure. 9 speed D/A came out in '96. That frame is aluminum, and has a 1 1/8 threadless steerer. I distinctly remember a lot of the bikes we built in '98 had threaded steerers, threadless domination was still a couple-three years away.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's newer than that for sure. 9 speed D/A came out in '96. That frame is aluminum, and has a 1 1/8 threadless steerer. I distinctly remember a lot of the bikes we built in '98 had threaded steerers, threadless domination was still a couple-three years away.
    Yep. I wasn't paying much attention in the late 90s-early '00s. The graphics look late '90s. The shifters are second generation, right? That would be around '98-'00? Don't remember seeing those strange spoked Shimano wheels before the late '90s. The Flite saddle is also at least second generation. Guys in the club were riding the originals in the mid-90s. That one with the loud graphics and soft padding in the "cut out" had to have been at least late 90s, maybe early '00s.

Ok, OP, how does it ride?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I also think late 90ís. I have a Ď95, maybe Ď94 Carrera in Columbus EL steel which is one of my favorite bikes. Wonderful build quality, great rider. Podium is the name of the builder (in Italy) and they were formed to build frames for the Carrera team around 1990 and ended up selling under the Carrera brand.

Enthusiast
    Apr 2018
    I got to ride the bike yesterday, and finally bought it for $400. It was a size 52 which suited me perfectly as i am 173 cm in hight!
    The bike felt fast and the gears worked flawlessly, albeit not as smooth as more modern brake systems.
    The bike had carbon fork, carbon saddle stem and carbon "back fork" top and bottom. The tires were 23 mm.
    I guess i now own a bike that was topnotch approx 2002-2004.
    Thanks for all your help in trying to identify this amazing old bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarN View Post
    I got to ride the bike yesterday, and finally bought it for $400. It was a size 52 which suited me perfectly as i am 173 cm in hight!
    The bike felt fast and the gears worked flawlessly, albeit not as smooth as more modern brake systems.
    The bike had carbon fork, carbon saddle stem and carbon "back fork" top and bottom. The tires were 23 mm.
    I guess i now own a bike that was topnotch approx 2002-2004.
    Thanks for all your help in trying to identify this amazing old bike.
    Alright! When you ride it, think of it as following the legacy of the guy who rode the brand to one of the few triple crowns in pro racing history! The frame is aluminum with carbon chain stays and fork to give it that cushy but responsive ride.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    You got a great deal! Iíve always considered that the carbon rear triangle on aluminum frame was a gimmick (and after further thought, you are right, early 2000ís is more likely rather than late 90ís like I originally opined) but I have a Wilier with the same setup and it is a quick, agile bike that is fairly comfortable.

You might want to check the chain and possibly cassette for wear if a simple tuneup doesnít fix the shifting issue. I almost always replace the chain when I get a new (old) bike. Enjoy!

Carbon stays on frame like that are pretty much a gimmick. I had a frame made at one point that had TT aero seat stays...the stiffest they made at the time. After my first road season the builder took it back and cut the steel stays out. He replaced them w/ a carbon monostay. Could not tell any difference at all.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I used to lust for a steel Carrera Zeus back in the Pantani days.

I think the carbon rear triangle is more than a gimmick -- it makes the bike cheaper to manufacture as well.

Nice looking bike. Shimano 7700 was a really good group. It went almost a decade unchanged.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Carbon stays on frame like that are pretty much a gimmick. I had a frame made at one point that had TT aero seat stays...the stiffest they made at the time. After my first road season the builder took it back and cut the steel stays out. He replaced them w/ a carbon monostay. Could not tell any difference at all.
    Yes. Heard that several times.

Which is why you don't see those seat stays on new bikes anymore. Now they go pencil thin, hoping for the same results. Specialized and Trek have elastomers in there, an admission it didn't work. Carbon reassured buyers they could soften the ride of fat tubed aluminum bikes riders thought were too harsh riding. Colnago stayed with smaller diameter tubing and lugs for good reason, that magic carpet ride others are still trying to work out.

Nonetheless, frames hardly ever break in the seat stay junctions, so ride on, Oscar. Make Marco proud!

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I used to lust for a steel Carrera Zeus back in the Pantani days.
    Here ya go pmf. If you're in Virginia, drop me a line and you can take her for a spin. They had the Carrera faux-denim kit for sale at Eroica California and I should have bought a set but didn't want to cough up the $160.

[

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Here ya go pmf. If you're in Virginia, drop me a line and you can take her for a spin. They had the Carrera faux-denim kit for sale at Eroica California and I should have bought a set but didn't want to cough up the $160.

[
    Oh baby ... that's sweet. You should have bought that Carrera denim kit like Pantani wore. I test rode that bike. Metropolis (remember that shop?) had one. It was in the early 1990's. I showed up at the shop on my Kestrel 200 Sci. The guy working there told me the kestrel was the hotter bike. That was back in the day when the steel is real guys made fun of my plastic bike. I've come far since.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carerra racer - what year could it have been made?-em-pic.jpg   Carerra racer - what year could it have been made?-img_0204.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Yes. Heard that several times.

Which is why you don't see those seat stays on new bikes anymore. Now they go pencil thin, hoping for the same results. Specialized and Trek have elastomers in there, an admission it didn't work. Carbon reassured buyers they could soften the ride of fat tubed aluminum bikes riders thought were too harsh riding. Colnago stayed with smaller diameter tubing and lugs for good reason, that magic carpet ride others are still trying to work out.

Nonetheless, frames hardly ever break in the seat stay junctions, so ride on, Oscar. Make Marco proud!
    No, Trek has never put any elastomers on a road frame. Iso Speed is an actual pivot w/ bearings. It does work unlike 'Zertz'. And those pencil thin stays do allow some bump absorption if they're engineered correctly. There are plenty of videos that show them working.