RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Carl Strong XCr built

I have already posted this in the Serotta forum and ww but Carl really deserves the exposure. It rides fantastic. So here it is, my new Strong stainless steel bike. Total weight: 6.78kg (14.95lbs). The paint is by Joe Bell, this is the first Strong painted by JB.

Build details:
    Carl Strong Columbus XCr frame, 62cm
    Edge 2.0 fork
    Super Record 11
    FSA K Force carbon bar, handlebra dark brown leather tape
    Chris King HS
    Ritchey 4Axis stem
    King cage
    Thomson masterpiece post
    Aliante saddle
    Custom wheels: Tune 180/70 hubs, DT aerolite spokes, Winium rims
    Veloflex Carbon tubular
    KCNC skewers
    pedals:Speedplay X2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carl Strong XCr built-strong1-small.jpg   Carl Strong XCr built-strong2-small.jpg   Carl Strong XCr built-strong4-small.jpg   Carl Strong XCr built-strong5-small.jpg   Carl Strong XCr built-strong6-small.jpg  

Formosan Cyclocross
    I like the "root beer" paint job.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice

Looks good. Post some more pictures of the detail work like where the tubes join, etc. I assume it's TIG'd? Big frame but light ride!
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Weld

Quote Originally Posted by boneman
    Looks good. Post some more pictures of the detail work like where the tubes join, etc. I assume it's TIG'd? Big frame but light ride!
    It is TIG. Carl does almost only TIG. Here is a pic of welds before it went to JB that he sent me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carl Strong XCr built-weld-small.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Classy. I love it.
    Those bicycles that yet / Fresh bicycles beget

Batteries not required
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel
    .... my new Strong stainless steel bike. Total weight: 6.78kg (14.95lbs). The paint is by Joe Bell, this is the first Strong painted by JB.

Carl Strong Columbus XCr frame, 62cm

Custom wheels: Tune 180/70 hubs, DT aerolite spokes, Winium rims
    The paint is awesome. The color combination and the layout are timeless. The wheel build is really nice too. The weight almost seems too good to be true. Do you have pictures of the built bike on a scale? That is seriously light for such a large frame, even with the top shelf parts. Great job, congratulations!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Edge 2.0 question

Looking at the Edge website, it appears that there is a visible seam down the outside of each fork blade. Is it still apparent after it is still painted?

Also, what a nice looking bike. Nothing flashy, but good looking and it's all business.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

weight details

BunnV, the wheelset is 1090g. This is almost like cheating! Below the weight per component, the frame is very light for a 62 steel frame at 1520 but still about 500g more than a very light carbon frame. I could have gone lighter on some components but at 6'5" and 190pounds I do not want to go stupid lights on stem, seatpost etc... On the saddle I had to look around hard to find a brown aliante but could only find a carbon one with the Ksium rails so I lost about 25g there

Frame: Strong XCr/JB 1520
    Fork: Edge 2.0 340
    Headset: Chris King gold 126
    Handlebar: FSA K-Force compact 220
    Tape: handlebra brown 60
    plugs: Fizik 5
    Stem: Ritchey WCS 4Axis 132
    Seatpost: Thomson masterpiece 158
    Seatpost clamp: KCNC 14
    Saddle: Fizik Aliante Brown 220
    Wheels: Winium/Tune/Aerolites 1090
    Skewers: KCNC 45
    Tires tubular: Veloflex carbon 480
    Glue: Conti 20
    Spacers: King gold 10
    Brake housing: Campy 70
    Derailleur housing: Campy 60
    Brake cables: Campy 20
    Derailleur cables: Campy 10
    Bottle cages King Ti*2 70
    FD Campy SR 11 72
    RD Campy SR 11 172
    Crank Campy SR11: 172.5 50/34 640
    Brakes Campy SR11 275
    brake pads Corima cork pads 0
    Chain Campy SR 11 242
    levers Campy SR 11 331
    Cassette Campy SR11: 11/25 177
    Bottom Bracket Campy SR 11 49
    Pedals Speedplay X/2 198

Total 6825.5 g
    Last edited by Lionel; 06-03-2009 at 09:46 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

edge

It's not really a seam, more like a bulge and yes you can still see it. Great fork btw, very impressed by it. Below a pic of the frame/fork before paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carl Strong XCr built-unpainted-small.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    How does it ride?

RoadBikeReview Member

Wow!

That is truly impressive quality.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another fantastic Strong build.

I am anxiously awaiting a ride report of the XCr.

One of these days I'm going to have to make the pilgrimage to Bozeman, all my riding buddies are on Strong's and they keep going back for more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    It is TIG. Carl does almost only TIG. Here is a pic of welds before it went to JB that he sent me.
    That is an immaculate TIG weld.

Beautiful bike!

banned
    Nice build. That Brown Aliante is a ***** to find.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Ya know, I don't usually like brown, but it looks sweet on that bike. Very nice.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    sweet looking ride, that weight is really impressive, looking forward to a ride report.
    Edit Signature here---------->

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

How does it ride ?

Well I am very happy with the ride. My 2 other main bikes are a Colnago C50 and a Litespeed classic. The Strong is very confortable and a smooth ride, it is as comfortable as the Litespeed and certainly a lot stiffer. It is certainly more comfortable and smoother than the C50, maybe a tad less stiff but I am not even sure. I sold the litespeed actually.

The fit is perfect (spent a lot of time with Carl on that) and I was impressed by how well balanced and stable the bike is. It is a better descender than the C50 and that says a lot.

As the wheels are also new they certainly contribute to the overall ride quality, they are so much better than the Zipp 404 on the Colnago in just about every way.In particular the braking is 10 times better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicSteel71
    Nice build. That Brown Aliante is a ***** to find.
    I do not think they make them anymore and on their web site where you can customize the colors it is not an option either. I just found a LBS on the east coast that had one left... I would not ride anything but the Aliante!

Batteries not required
    BunnV, the wheelset is 1090g. This is almost like cheating! ...Total 6825.5 g
    Thanks for the breakdown. Awesome build!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Linonel,
    I reckon you went with the 31.7mm seat-tube, rather than the 33mm (XCr can be had with either). I know the 31.7mm has an odd internal diameter for the seatpost (30.4mm). Did you use a shim or post with a perfect fit? AFAIK the Tomson comes in 29.4mm...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Hi, the 33 was not available when mine was built. So I went with the 31.7. And yes you are correct the iniside diameter is 30.4... Right now I am using a shim to go from 30.4 to 27.2.

I have found a straight seatpost in 30.4 though. It is a WR Compositi.... I may buy one. Not sure yet (it is 145Euros and about 30g more than the masterpiece). I would say that this 30.4 diameter is the only negative I can see with XCr. Of course if the 33 is available now it makes it a no brainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Of course if the 33 is available now it makes it a no brainer.
    Well, I'm not so sure because then the problem is the odd external diameter (33mm) and the almost impossibility to find a seat-clamp and FD-hanger. I know columbus offer a 33mm band for the FD, though I guess it might be costly, but for the seat-clamp there's nothing. The only way would be to braze the clamp like traditional steel frames (columbus has that part in their catalog for XCr spares). All in all I think the 31.7+shim to 27.2 (your chioce) is still the best solution.

BTW, did you consider the option of leaving it not painted and going with the polished finish, like the Cinelli.
    Last edited by kingennio; 06-04-2009 at 01:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

good point

Quote Originally Posted by kingennio
    Well, I'm not so sure because then the problem is the odd external diameter (33mm) and the almost impossibility to find a seat-clamp and FD-hanger. I know columbus offer a 33mm band for the FD, though I guess it might be costly, but for the seat-clamp there's nothing. The only way would be to braze the clamp like traditional steel frames (columbus has that part in their catalog for XCr spares). All in all I think the 31.7+shim to 27.2 (your chioce) is still the best solution.

BTW, did you consider the option of leaving it not painted and going with the polished finish, like the Cinelli.
    Good point I had not thought of that. Columbus should try to get their act together on this "detail". The shim is not big deal I guess but still....