RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

C'dale 5 105 alloy or Trek 2.1

Hello, I'm about to purchase my first road bike and am trying to choose between the C'dale 5 105 allow and the Trek 2.1. They seem to be very similar and close in price. I have ridden both and could not tell much of a difference. Does anyone have any recommendations on which I should choose? Thanks!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    The one with better shop service and fitting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgeesaman
    The one with better shop service and fitting.
    Well what if the shop carries both Cannondale and Trek? My LBS sells Trek, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, and Storck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    TREK 2.1
    105 on everything(including crank). Carbon seat post, fork - good for vibration dampening, The shaped rear stays on C-dale looks like they would flex too much, wasting energy.

FSA cranks are not the greatest design. They have had issues with arms falling off on the non-drive side.

I have an '11 TREK 2.3 and really like it. The 2.1 is not far behind on components. The RED/BLACK color on 2.1 is sick.

TREK's warranty is excellent. I have had to use it twice, albeit on some FX hybrids.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganRaider
    TREK 2.1
    105 on everything(including crank). Carbon seat post, fork - good for vibration dampening, The shaped rear stays on C-dale looks like they would flex too much, wasting energy.

FSA cranks are not the greatest design. They have had issues with arms falling off on the non-drive side.

I have an '11 TREK 2.3 and really like it. The 2.1 is not far behind on components. The RED/BLACK color on 2.1 is sick.

TREK's warranty is excellent. I have had to use it twice, albeit on some FX hybrids.
    In Red
    I have a cdale with these shaped rear stays and I'm going to disagree with you here. Mine rails turns at speed and it responds just as well jumping out of the saddle compared to others I tried. (Spec, Fuji, Giant, I never got the Trek outside on real road.)

In Blue
    I love the way that 2.1 looks

In Green
    Cdale has the same lifetime warranty.

In Purple
    I agree the FSA cranks are not as nice as the Shim 105. However, it's a BB30 crankset. It's lighter and stiffer. Shimano doesn't do BB30.

The seatpost on the Trek has that single bolt mount. I have found those unreliable on holding your desired tilt. The cdale has that carbon wrapped thing going. I had one of those. It's not bad, but the full carbon FSA post I replaced it with is better.

Also, the Cdale come with 25c tires stock vs 23 from Trek. The 25c tires will give you a nicer ride. It made a noticeable difference for me.

I think you'll be happy with either bike once you get it fitted for you.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 02-28-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Toss a coin, they are both great bikes! I personally prefer Shimano over FSA cranks, as to BB30 being stiffer, perhaps it is on paper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I was in the same spot trying to make the same decision about a month and a half ago. I went with the Trek 2.1 for no particular reason and love it, but can't say that I would be any less satisfied if I had gone with the Cannondale. When I was looking, both bikes seemed fantastic and both had small differences that seemed to me to be different only on the spec sheet.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure either is a great choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    The Trek has better components.
    Judging a frame is subjective but pretty close to 10 out of 10 people would say the CAAD is a better aluminum frame.

I'd always pick frame over components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Spend a lot of time on each and then decide. Disregard components and such. It'll all be quite functional and reliable. One might fit a bit better than the other, or have a better feel after some time on it. My two cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for all the tips! The Trek dealer has a more customer friendly shop and I hear is quicker returning bikes after tune-ups etc. They also are a little cheaper and offered 10% off any accessories. I like the look of the C'dale better, but if everyone thinks there both quality bikes I may have to go with the Trek. Thanks again everyone.

Folsom City Blues...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    The Trek has better components.
    Judging a frame is subjective but pretty close to 10 out of 10 people would say the CAAD is a better aluminum frame.

I'd always pick frame over components.
    Plus one...

Peace
    Tao Te Ching

The movement of the Tao is to return
    The way of Tao is to yield

Heaven, Earth and all things

are born of existant world.

The existent world is born of nothingness of Tao

Master Lao Tzu

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I was in the same situation last month. Trek 2.3 vs Cannondale CAAD9-5
    I went with the Cannondale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The shaped rear stays on C-dale looks like they would flex too much, wasting energy.
    What? Cannondales are known to be exceptionally stiff when/where it counts. The CAAD4 (when the S-bend seat stays were first introduced) and higher frames are arguably some of the best designed aluminum frames available. Until only a few years ago, the earlier iterations of this frame were racing at the very highest international level, establishing one of the most well regarded aluminum bike racing legacies in the sport. The very best components would not be out of place hanging on this frame, or rolling under it.

Really? Is this all FSA cranks, or just certain models? Is the FSA Gossamer BB30 among those destined to fail? Careful...There are hundreds of thousands of these cranks out there, being used every day. Specifically, which ones are failing?

So is Cannondale's. Plus they have an exchange (upgrade) program.

Not trying to push the Cannondale. I don't own one. Just hate to see inaccurate information being provided to somebody trying to make a decision, and who might not know better.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

T K
    wasssabi
    TREK 2.1

One of the most ignorant posts ever!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by T K
    One of the most ignorant posts ever!
    I wouldn't go that far. I remember a post where someone was declaring Obama the best president ever after only being in office 2 months, LOL.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    I wouldn't go that far. I remember a post where someone was declaring Obama the best president ever after only being in office 2 months, LOL.
    Ding ding ding!!!!!! We have a winner!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Shoulder
    What? Cannondales are known to be exceptionally stiff when/where it counts. The CAAD4 (when the S-bend seat stays were first introduced) and higher frames are arguably some of the best designed aluminum frames available. Until only a few years ago, the earlier iterations of this frame were racing at the very highest international level, establishing one of the most well regarded aluminum bike racing legacies in the sport. The very best components would not be out of place hanging on this frame, or rolling under it.

Really? Is this all FSA cranks, or just certain models? Is the FSA Gossamer BB30 among those destined to fail? Careful...There are hundreds of thousands of these cranks out there, being used every day. Specifically, which ones are failing?

So is Cannondale's. Plus they have an exchange (upgrade) program.

Not trying to push the Cannondale. I don't own one. Just hate to see inaccurate information being provided to somebody trying to make a decision, and who might not know better.

+1... I don't own a Cdale either but I've owned several Treks. Treks are good bikes and I loved them but a CAAD frame sets the standard in aluminum. They are excellent bikes.... especially the new CAAD10. Want to upgrade to Ultegra or Dura Ace? This frame is so good it is offered from Cannondale in an Ultegra or Dura Ace version. The CAAD10 Dura Ace model is easily competition for carbon bikes costing $1000 + more. Same frame as the 105 version the OP is looking at so that should count for a lot. Trek's OCLV frames are what has earned Trek it's place; Cannondale's CAAD frames have earned Cannondale it's place. Bottom line is the one that fits you is the one you should get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Trek 2.3 and a 2.1 as my back up bike. The frames are identical. If you are worried about the FSA cranks, see if the dealer will switch 'em for shimano (free or at a doscount).

I have 4 Treks and LOVE them all.