View Poll Results: Which Frameset is Better?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2013 Cannondale Standard Mod SuperSix EVO

13 76.47%
  • 2013 Trek Madone 5 Series

4 23.53%
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

C'dale Std Mod SuperSix EVO vs Trek Madone 5 Series Frameset

For the 2013 model year, I am comparing the following:
    Cannondale Standard Mod SuperSix EVO frameset
    Trek Madone 5 Series frameset

There has been plenty of discussion about the HiMod SuperSix EVO, and the 2013 Madone 6 and 7 Series. But for those of us who want to spend less, these two lower tier framesets seem to be going head-to-head in the marketplace. Would like to get feedback on any of the following:

Ride: feel while climbing
    Ride: stability while descending
    Ride: vert compliance
    Frame weight
    Aero performance
    Look (color, finish, tube shape & size)
    BB90 vs. BB30 standard (and resulting bottom bracket and crankset limitations)

Please post your comments here for this comparison.

Tom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Does anyone know the weight for these frames in size 56?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    The standard supersix evo frame is around 950g for a medium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for that weight.

So, why is everyone voting for the Cannondale?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Anyone out there ridden either of these frames? Post your comments, please?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Here are my thoughts on this issue, but I am hoping others will chime in with facts or opinion.

Ride: feel while climbing
    'They' say the EVO dances up hills. And 'they' say Trek has a reputation for being as stiff as they come going up a hill. I guess the nod could go to the EVO here if believe it is stiff enough, but dancing seems to add a bit a panache, which everyone wants. But all of this refers to the 7-series vs the HiMod EVO. So, how do the 5-series and the StdMod EVO measure up here?

Ride: stability while descending
    Both the 7-series and the HiMod EVO have a good reputation here. So, how do the 5-series and the StdMod EVO measure up?

Ride: vert compliance
    StdMod EVO has the same flattened chain stays and thin seat stays as HiMod. But at least the new Treks don't have real deep tubes like on a true aero road frame. Anyone have any measurements?

Frame weight
    I guess we know that the StdMod EVO is about 950g in the medium. How about the trek 5-series?

Aero performance
    While the EVO's have thinner tubes than most CF frames, I recall the AERO tests Trek published for the 7-series beet the EVO (what can we expect.). Probable the nod goes to the new Treks here.

Look (color, finish, tube shape & size)
    To me the horizontal toptube and tube shape of the Treks look a bit less aggressive than the EVOs. Somehow, Cervelo pulls off the sloping TT better than Trek IMHO. In the case of the Trek 5.9 (or separate frame set) the paint scheme looks pretty good for a Trek, and I kinda think the mat finish is trendy. I have not actually seen a StdMod EVO, or the Trek 5.9. I did see a 5.2 and the smoothness of the glossy finish on that bike was not at the same level as a 6/7 series.

BB90 vs. BB30 standard (and resulting bottom bracket and crankset limitations)
    My opinion in that the BB90 is a little better standard than the BB30 because I prefer to use a steel spindle, and like the fact that the BB90 permits a wider anchoring for the seatsteys. So a nod to the Teek here.

Please post your comments here for this comparison.

Tom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Just bought the Madone 5.2. Great deal at the LBS. Absolutely stunning looking bike in the Black/Charcoal and rides brilliantly. Very fast and great acceleration. Will upgrade the wheels in time and add the Ui2 parts. You've got a great bike to start with for about $3,300 which you can tinker with as much as you want. Great choice, not ridden the Cannondale but you will love the Trek.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the post, Justin22272.

I decided to move forward with a Madone 5.9. It is on order and I will get my fit shortly. Decided that the better wheels on the Cannondale were not important to me because I have a set I plan on using. So, the I was looking mainly at the difference in the framesets, and basically decided to move forward with the Trek. I'm kinda a sucker for the concept of getting a frame that is somewhat aero without sacrificing weight or vertical compliance qualities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Hi Lewis, great choice. The 5.9 looks great in the matt white. I asked if they could put the 5.2 kit on that frame but it started to get complicated for the shop. Very happy with the black/charcoal though. It is a great bike, am just building up the legs again so have done a couple of 40k rides this week. Very fast, stable and interesting in that it is very lively, and not dull but very light for that price point so that is a big factor. I'll swap the shifters, and front and rear derailleur to Ui2 soonish, get can all three online for about 400. Frame is fully designed for mechanical and electronic so either option has dedicated frame space. Some carbon wheels in time would be amazing. The Fulcrum red wind (alu/carbon) and racing speed sets are fantastic. Can't see you ever needing much more after that apart from the tinkering stem/bar etc.

Let me know how it goes and what you think. You won't be disappointed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's the cost for these?
    Swim away fugu fish, swim away!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Madone 5 series frame is about Au$ 2,600. Not sure about the Cannondale frame.