RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Cervelo RS vs. Colnago CLX 2.0

Hey guys,

My first official post! I'm a newbie from the mountain bike world looking to venture to the "other" side. I've decided on a carbon bike as I think the technology, performance and aesthetics are truly amazing. The only thing I haven't decided on was the bike. As fellow auto enthusiasts know, performance cars and performance bikes go hand and hand, so you know I can appreciate quality of the "ride" and am one to sacrifice comfort over performance.

So..being this will be my first road bike, i'm looking for a performance bike, but will err on the side of comfort. I don't believe i'll be doing any racing, but ya never know. At first, i'll be doing longer rides, eventually hoping to do a century. I've been reading a lot of reviews and have not read a single bad review on the Cervelo RS, so i'm interested.

Colnago's are also so pretty and they have a long history. Has anyone ridin' the CLX 2.0? How does it compare with the RS? The are at similiar price points. Just to let you know, I have not test ridden either of these bikes since i'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. Just plan on reading reviews and living through you guys in the meantime.

Any other bikes/brands you guys would recommend me look at? I'm also looking at the Orbea Orca and possibly the Trek Madone, but I would prefer to stick with a brand that's a bit more unique (less mainstream?).

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    While I haven't spent hardly any time on these bikes, I have a friend who has an RS. I've ridden it for a few miles. While it was too small for me, it seemed to ride nice and smooth. I haven't ridden a CLX, but I love the way it looks. The guy with the RS rode it and said it just didn't ride that great. Couldn't really say why exactly, but he chose the RS.

Another friend has the Look 566 which I've ridden quite a bit. I think it's an excellent bike. Every time I get on it, I can't believe how great a bike it is. So smooth, but yet stiff enough to get it moving in a hurry.

Test ride every thing you can and spend as much time as you can on them.
    Fit is the most important factor.
    Also the bikes you are looking at have a more up-right geometry as opposed to a racing geo.
    Good luck in your search.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    You will get ratted on very soon for the double post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum7
    While I haven't spent hardly any time on these bikes, I have a friend who has an RS. I've ridden it for a few miles. While it was too small for me, it seemed to ride nice and smooth. I haven't ridden a CLX, but I love the way it looks. The guy with the RS rode it and said it just didn't ride that great. Couldn't really say why exactly, but he chose the RS.

Another friend has the Look 566 which I've ridden quite a bit. I think it's an excellent bike. Every time I get on it, I can't believe how great a bike it is. So smooth, but yet stiff enough to get it moving in a hurry.

Test ride every thing you can and spend as much time as you can on them.
    Fit is the most important factor.
    Also the bikes you are looking at have a more up-right geometry as opposed to a racing geo.
    Good luck in your search.
    Thanks for the suggestions and I will definitely consider the Look 566 as it is in the same price range and I really like the color scheme as i'm looking for a white bike. I've visited a few bike stores in my area, but have not seen any Looks as of yet, so dealers may be fairly scarce. When the time comes, i'll definitely track one down for a test ride.

Quote Originally Posted by CervéloRacer
    You will get ratted on very soon for the double post.
    Oops....wasn't sure if others follow multiple boards as I wanted to get varying opinions. Hope ppl won't be too harsh.

Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    look at geometry closely.

cervelo's run 73 seat tube angles all the way across while the colnago's run about a degree or more steeper. this will effect reach and balance on bike. the head tubes on the colnago's will also be about 1.3cm shorter on avg...if that matters to you.

have owned both and they are both great bikes. the clx owns the rs in road feel to me ,with same set up, but they are not known to feel like snappy climbing bikes due to their longer wheelbases. they both handle the rough stuff easily.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by a_avery007
    look at geometry closely.

cervelo's run 73 seat tube angles all the way across while the colnago's run about a degree or more steeper. this will effect reach and balance on bike. the head tubes on the colnago's will also be about 1.3cm shorter on avg...if that matters to you.

have owned both and they are both great bikes. the clx owns the rs in road feel to me ,with same set up, but they are not known to feel like snappy climbing bikes due to their longer wheelbases. they both handle the rough stuff easily.
    Thanks for the comparison! Which would you say feels racier and more sporty? Better handling?

Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    basically the exact same geo in 54cm to a couple of mm's..so if I buy on looks, and ride quality the Colnago by a mile.....they ride the same.....
    Last edited by a_avery007; 05-20-2011 at 07:42 AM.