RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Cheap Bike vs Super Bike

(And cheap dual pivot calipers vs expensive disc brakes.) Yes, I know this isn't hard science and yes I know it doesn't prove anything and yes I still think it's fun.

https://youtu.be/Wdb7KEc7xJI

Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Forever a Student
    I think there's some really important takeaways from that video:

They both enjoyed riding the cheap bike, both thought it was fun and good and that it worked well.

With a new Sora groupset and some better wheels the cheap bike could come quite close and be wonderful to ride in all conditions.

Basically you can get 95% of it all for only 5% of the cost. The extra 5% will cost you 95% of the price.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I think there's some really important takeaways from that video:

They both enjoyed riding the cheap bike, both thought it was fun and good and that it worked well.

With a new Sora groupset and some better wheels the cheap bike could come quite close and be wonderful to ride in all conditions.

Basically you can get 95% of it all for only 5% of the cost. The extra 5% will cost you 95% of the price.
    Agreed. Imagine how close a $1500 or $2000 bike with 105, Rival, Force, or Ultegra would be to an aero Super Bike. The difference probably wouldn't be that significant at all, especially if you spend $200 or so to get Dura Ace level rim brakes, etc.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:00 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Einstein's relativity applies to bicycles too, higher the performance, more costly it is to increase it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This applies to cars, computers, houses, pretty much everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    This applies to cars, computers, houses, pretty much everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, but we REALLY lose perspective on this on RBR sometimes. People will argue you down when you say there isn't much of real difference between FACT 9 Carbon and Fact 11 Carbon or 15lb bike and a 17.5lb bike, or an endurance bike and a race bike or something like that. So much of this sport comes down to fitness and strength, but it's hard to get that point across sometimes when we fall in love with the equipment and the hype surrounding it (and I am as guilty as anyone btw).

Cranky Old Bastard
    90-10 Rule.
    10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. Or something like that.

For bicycles I think it's more like 75-25. For 25% of the big money you can get 75% of the performance.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    GCN screwed this one up. The Raleigh was equipped with Sora from two generations ago versus a brand new top of the line, Di2, disc bike. The Sora bike had to be almost 10 years old. They don't use thumb shifters anymore to downshift Trickle down technology brings it even closer. Sora is now 9 speed vs the 8 speed setup in the video.The latest Sora shifters even look like the higher level shifters. FYI, Sora's been 9 speed since around 2009/2010.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Yep, but we REALLY lose perspective on this on RBR sometimes. People will argue you down when you say there isn't much of real difference between FACT 9 Carbon and Fact 11 Carbon or 15lb bike and a 17.5lb bike, or an endurance bike and a race bike or something like that. So much of this sport comes down to fitness and strength, but it's hard to get that point across sometimes when we fall in love with the equipment and the hype surrounding it (and I am as guilty as anyone btw).
    It's even worse on a firearms forum I frequent.

Riflescopes start at less than $50 and go to over $5K and there are lots of (very vocal) snobs who swear that anything that sells for less than $1000 is junk. My latest purchase cost less than $200 on sale and is 95% as good as the big boys.
    My $400 target 10/22 shoots 95% as accurately as their $3000 Cooper.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    GCN screwed this one up. The Raleigh was equipped with Sora from two generations ago versus a brand new top of the line, Di2, disc bike. The Sora bike had to be almost 10 years old. They don't use thumb shifters anymore to downshift Trickle down technology brings it even closer. Sora is now 9 speed vs the 8 speed setup in the video.The latest Sora shifters even look like the higher level shifters. FYI, Sora's been 9 speed since around 2009/2010.
    It didnít appear that shifting performance was even a factor as they do note that given the steepness of the hill, they were in the lowest gears possible.

The whole point seemed to be the difference between a 26 lbs bike and a 16 lbs bike, as well as the generally liveliness of a lightweight carbon bike, how it accelerates, etc...

They probably could not find a more recent cheap steel bike that weighs that much, thus went vintage. Even my Soma with 36 spoke wheels only weighs 22 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Those guys have way more fun at work than I do.

While not scientific, I think it was entertaining and some valid generalizations could be drawn (which most of us could have predicted.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I get it, but a decent entry level road bike for sale today will have better components and wheels than the Raleigh shown. They will weigh around 22-23 lbs. An example of a 26 pound road bike today would be the GMC Denali. Newer entry level bikes will likely have even lighter wheels and even with wheels aside, the performance of a modern entry-level road bike frame will be much better than this Raleigh can offer. Had they done the test with the entry level Specialized Allez or Cannondale CAAD Optimo, I bet the difference would be even less. A 10-15 year old Raleigh is just a poor comparison.
    Last edited by terbennett; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:19 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    I get it, but a decent entry level road bike for sale today will have better components and wheels than the Raleigh shown. They will weigh around 22-23 lbs. An example of a 26 pound road bike today would be the GMC Denali. Newer entry level bikes will likely have even lighter wheels and even with wheels aside, the performance of a modern entry-level road bike frame will be much better than this Raleigh can offer. Had they can with the entry level Specialized Allez or Cannondale CAAD Optimo, I bet the difference would be even less. A 10-15 year old Raleigh is just a poor comparison.
    But they didn't say they were comparing a super bike to " a decent entry level road bike for sale today". They made it clear, I thought, they were comparing a super bike to an ebay cheapo.

If may be poor comparison to what you want to see but using a 10-15 year old Raleigh is a pretty good bike to use perhaps even too much bike when the compare is to, as they called it, a 90 pound (so about $120) bike from Ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1...well said

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013