Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinese carbon frame Ebay and direct thread 3.0

604K views 1K replies 226 participants last post by  Vee 
#1 ·
Seeing people starting posting in this thread, I will just convert it to 3.0 so not to lose any posts.

I will keep 1.0 and 2.0 stuck so people can still read them, and use them as resources.

#4 · (Edited)
We should have one sticky for frames/ordering and another sticky just for photos :) I wanted to make a thread but I have not taken any photos of my FM015 yet. Hopefully this week.

This should be on first page of the new sticky

BIKESDECALS.com for those looking to add some bling to a china frame. The site is a bit buggy though

#11 ·
I think 2 threads:

1. general thread covers everything except specific experiences with sellers, both good and bad, which would be covered in the other thread.

2. Deals only with the vendors themselves, service, price, complaints, praise. This would be analogous to the seller ratings on ebay. This is where a guy would look after he's decided what he wants and just wants the best shot at not getting screwed when he buys it.

The idea of a bunch of different threads sounds good at first, except most people don't want to have to be checking a whole bunch of threads just to make sure they're not missing anything.

Cheapcarbonframes.com requires additional signing up, etc., which a lot of people are not going to do. Again, it takes more steps to catch everything that is currently in one combined thread.

Somehow it's comforting to know that I only have to check one thread (or 2 max) and know that I'm up-to-date. Also, it's too hard to figure out where to put a post since most subjects would overlap categories--well, do I put it here or here--would be equally correct in more than one place.

Actually, i think it's doing pretty well just the way it is now (GOOD JOB!!)--EXCEPT that the buyer complaints and warnings should be easier to find.

#12 ·
Need a "Chinese Carbon Frame FAQ" section that's closed to new posts and a thread with all the running garbage.

FAQ could include all the repetition, what frames, what frames they're copies of, outside links (alibaba, cheapcarbonframes, miracletrade), who the principal players are.

This does require quite a bit of work on the part of the moderator to keep the FAQ reasonably up to date.

#13 ·
ClarkinHawaii said:
Actually, i think it's doing pretty well just the way it is now (GOOD JOB!!)--EXCEPT that the buyer complaints and warnings should be easier to find.
I think that is a short-coming of the forum software here, the search function. I can search for FM018 to see all the posts about the FM018 frame, problem is that I get one link to a thread with over 1,000 posts and I have to peruse that for the 26 posts about the FM018. If the search function could take me directly to posts so that when I search for seller XYZing, that would be hugely helpful.
So, for that reason, maybe a thread that is feedback on sellers without a discussion. Not sure if that is possible or how to police that.

#14 · (Edited)
FM027 has arrived

I purchased this setup from Tony at Dengfu through their alibaba account. Several emails went back and forth with questions from me, that were always answered by the following day. He is also easy to get in touch with using Alibaba's chat feature which I did several times. On the 8th of September I paid using paypal and the frame shipped on the 9th. It arrived in Denver on the 14th. That's 5 days, two of them being the weekend from Mainland China to Denver for $80 in shipping. It cost me $60 to send a box from Denver to Atlanta last week and it took a week to get there. I am nothing short of astonished at how fast this thing showed up.

There are some minor places where the weave of one piece doesn't quite line up with the adjacent piece, which would probably send a more anal retentive costomer over the edge, but having done quite a bit of glasswork in my youth, my expectations from a chinese carbon factory were pretty low. They far exceeded those expectations. The finish is beautiful. I have not done any assembly as yet so can't comment on any of that, but will in the future.

So, I'm a proud new papa and took a few pics for posterity which I will share here since I haven't seen much about the FM027 in the three china frame threads. First a few details:

FM027 non ISP in 55cm
3k weave clear coated
two bottle cages
headset
extra derailleur hanger
$515 delivered

There was one surprise when I unwrapped it...it's a BRAZE ON front derailleur!?! I sure didn't see that anywhere in the specs, nor is the bracket on the 55cm geometry sheet (though now that I look...it is on the 58cm geometry pdf). So...I bought a chorus clamp on that will arrive today...and go up on ebay.

So, a few pics. The outdoor ones don't show the carbon weave very well so I included one using the flash inside.

#16 · (Edited)
BernyMac said:
That is a goood looking frame. How much did that cost you? Did you buy the headset as well? I am curious as to the bottom bracket if it has been prepared or faced?
$515 delivered for frame, fork, cages, headset, extra hanger & shipping

Pics of BB

One interesting note. The front derailleur cable has a chase up through the frame....but the hole doesn't line up with the guide. Heat the guide up and bend it, or slot the guide bolt hole so the two line up...but the cable will surely rub against the carbon where it turns into the frame and slice it.....right?

#17 ·
I definitely think it is time for a locked FAQ regarding these frames.
I am planning on starting to do some crit racing later this year and am thinking I would rather do that on one of these than on my Moots.
I would cry if I crashed the Moots but would care far less about crashing and hurting the cheap carbon.
Unfortunately I am at the stage where it is all getting too confusing trying to work out what is good, what is bad, who is scamming, who carries what.
Perhaps a 2nd sticky with pics, a description of what frame model it is and what additional components were also sourced from that seller.

#18 ·
After talking with a seller through TradeManager for almost an hour, they said I can send the Western Union payment to whoever I want and just send proof of the payment to the seller. Once they see the proof, they will mail my package. Once I receive the package, I call Western Union and change the name on my payment to the seller's name and information.

It seems safe. The seller even said send the payment to my wife, and then change it to them.

Has anyone ever done this?
Thanks

#20 · (Edited)
You may find you can reseat the cable guide so it will be at least in line - wear should be minimal given it's for the front derrailier only - I find I don't use my smaller chainring - I am even considering taking it off to make my bike lighter - go figure. Otherwise you should be able to pick up a similar cable guide that covers the space better.

Photo from my FM015 BB cable guide.

#22 ·
Ok, but when they lose sales to your competition who are not so short sighted, that business decision seems rather odd. The sales that they can convince to wire money to them will still exist....in addition to those, like me, who would never buy something from China without some sort of buyers protection (credit card company or paypal). There are too many horror stories.

#23 ·
stubek said:
Two different sellers told me the reason they don't use paypal is the length of time to get the money from PayPal to their bank account
Got to say I can readily understand that point of view. I really, really dislike the fact that when I send money or buy sometyhing via PayPal, the money is debited from my bank account within hours at most yet when I sell something on Ebay, it takes PayPal 3-5 days when I opt to move the funds from PayPal to my bank but that is an entirely different topic of discussion.

#25 ·
My experience so far with Miracle Trade

ok. I've received my order (well most of it) from Miracle Trade (Jack Chen).
ordered and paid for via Electronic Bank Transfer 5/8. shipment came on the 14/9.
Communications were generally good and quick. however after you order there isn't much feedback on how your order is progressing. I had to chase up for progress twice. it would have been nice if they gave you an email to let you know your package has been shipped and give you the EMS tracking number.

My order was
- MC015 frame 3k matt clearcoat (HongFU FM0015)
- carbon fork 3k matt clearcoat
- carbon seatpost 3k
- carbon handlebars 3k
- carbon stem 3k
- 2 x carbon bottle cages
- headset
- extra rear derailleur hanger
- seatpost clamp (freebie)
Total $640USD

The box arrived pretty mangled, like it had been handled by gorillas, but the frame and bits inside were well enough padded, so apart from one tiny cosmetic scratch the parts were undamaged. the finish on the frame and fork is excellent. the weave matches up well, the matt finish is just what i wanted, the weave is visible but not shiny. from initial inspection the frame is straight and well aligned.

The package did not contain my headset, extra rear derailleur and seatpost clamp. I sent Jack an email a day ago I'm still yet to get a response. usually he responds within half a day. Hopefully he'll respond soon, I'll keep you posted.

#26 ·
Been lurking on these threads for a while and just bought a FM028 ISP frame from carbonzone on ebay. Frame came four days later, it was a bit rough around the edges but good for the price.
Want to try and build this bike up as light as I can(afford). Just wondering has anyone changed the seat mast stubby? Was going to swap it for a Tune cappy 34.9 but when I measured the seat mast the diameter was 36mm. Seems an odd size, anyway how much wiggle room would there be with the Tune? Could I make it fit or should I go for the larger size (38.2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.