Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    banned
    Aug 2011
    Can a few people post up a length of time they've owned their Chinese frames with approx. miles they have on the frames and any sign of wear. I'm really liking what I'm seeing, my only concern is lack of warranty. I mean Trek and Specialized carbons are lifetime warranty.

Am I missing something on these frames as far as warranty, because it appears there is none?

Should I be concerned about particular sellers?

Are their specific sellers that people have made multiple purchases from sellers that are known to be more reputable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Just because a company has a lifetime warranty doesn't mean they will honour a broken frame or how simple it will be (Ever seen a carbon frame fail like this?). Hell with the money spent on a new frame covered by warranty this guy could have bought another chinense frame...

I can't actually remember any frames breaking in the 5 chinese threads (apart from the cyclingyong forks I think it was). That can only be a good thing.

Just stick to the regular well known selllers eg. Deng Fu and Hong Fu.

Check out the massive threads on this. Read through all 5 and you will be a pro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

my garage

my freshly completed replica
    and the replica ive had for 2 years.

They both had little finishing problems, but with a little bit of patience easily dealt with, they are quality items.

I can recommend a local Australian store for mechanical running gear if your after local warranty support (not affliated to me).

Purchased through cycling yong (pina) and carbonzone (kuota) i found that that cyclingyong forgot bits, but they sent them quick enough 6 days initial delivery and a further 4 days for missing parts.

Chinese Carbon Picture Thread-2011-09-11-01.17.04.jpg
    Chinese Carbon Picture Thread-2011-09-11-01.18.32.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BirdLikeClimber View Post
    My chinese "Colnago" build
    The only other differance is that the origional has internal cables.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JAQ001 View Post
    The only other differance is that the origional has internal cables.
    The EPS does not have internal cables.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

Black Betty

edit: newer photo. cut some steerer tube, fixed the handlebar angle, and cut some cables. Took it out for about 60 miles at 22-23 mph and it felt fast. Did a bit of bumping in the group I was in, and was fine. That's a first!

This is my Chinese FM015, sz 55. Probably should've bought the 56 cm FM028, but I have loved this bike.

I have about 3,000 miles (that's 4800 km for ya'll metrics) on this bike, including about 10 races and 6 podiums. It is certainly not the bike that's limiting it - that's the engine's fault.

I am extremely happy with this bike. I might swap out the bars for 3T ergo bars (just because I like the feel better) and maybe buy a setback seatpost (just because).

Build list:
    Frame: e-hong-fu FM015 55 cm, matte black (should've gone matte UD) ($415 + $40 paint)
    fork: same
    handlebars: e-hong-fu ergo bars ($60! worth every penny!)
    stem: no name ($20!)
    seatpost: e-hongfu ($35)
    bottle cages: e-hongfu - $20 total
    collar, headset: Hongfu ($3 and $15, I think)

Brifters: SRAM Force
    FD: Rival
    RD: Force
    Brakes: Force
    Crankset: Rival
    Chain: KCMC something (impressed)
    Cassette: Shimano 12-27 105 (I did nearly 75,000 feet of climbing last month).
    Wheels: Neuvation R28X Aero (debadged - I felt bad about this, but it had to happen).
    Pedals: Look Keo Classics.
    Saddle: Fizik Arione

I wish I had a scale. This bike is light - like, low 16s (7.5kg) If I'd spent another hundred dollars or so, I probably could've gotten it below 15 (my stem and seatpost are about 175g extra, wheels could've been 200g lighter, and I have a DA 7800 11-21 cassette for race day).
    Last edited by persondude27; 09-18-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: add photos

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Very nice build.......bike looks great
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by persondude27 View Post

This is my Chinese FM015, sz 55. Probably should've bought the 56 cm FM028, but I have loved this bike.

I have about 3,000 miles (that's 4800 km for ya'll metrics) on this bike, including about 10 races and 6 podiums. It is certainly not the bike that's limiting it - that's the engine's fault.

I am extremely happy with this bike. I might swap out the bars for 3T ergo bars (just because I like the feel better) and maybe buy a setback seatpost (just because).

Build list:
    Frame: e-hong-fu FM015 55 cm, matte black (should've gone matte UD) ($415 + $40 paint)
    fork: same
    handlebars: e-hong-fu ergo bars ($60! worth every penny!)
    stem: no name ($20!)
    seatpost: e-hongfu ($35)
    bottle cages: e-hongfu - $20 total
    collar, headset: Hongfu ($3 and $15, I think)

Brifters: SRAM Force
    FD: Rival
    RD: Force
    Brakes: Force
    Crankset: Rival
    Chain: KCMC something (impressed)
    Cassette: Shimano 12-27 105 (I did nearly 75,000 feet of climbing last month).
    Wheels: Neuvation R28X Aero (debadged - I felt bad about this, but it had to happen).
    Pedals: Look Keo Classics.
    Saddle: Fizik Arione

I wish I had a scale. This bike is light - like, low 16s (7.5kg) If I'd spent another hundred dollars or so, I probably could've gotten it below 15 (my stem and seatpost are about 175g extra, wheels could've been 200g lighter, and I have a DA 7800 11-21 cassette for race day).
    Tight work there - very sharp, clean look

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdLikeClimber View Post
    My chinese "Colnago" build
    Where did you get this from?!?! Coolest "fake" frame I've seen yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Hong Fu FM039

So, I'm new to this but have been watching a lot of the carbon bike threads and decided to take the plunge myself. I ordered an FM-039 directly from Hong Fu and I thought I would use my first post to show the results.

My experience was excellent given the distance, I could not have hoped for a better service. Jenny answers email very quickly and was always honest about delivery (it took 4 months).

Built with Shimano Ultegra SL throughout, RODI wheels, Fizik saddle and tape, Jagwire cabling, LOOK KEO pedals and Schwalbe tyres. Handlebars are integrated carbon from e_baygoods. Red/White/Black vinyl was done myself and the total weight is 7.6kg, so respectable but not exceptional.

I'm impressed with the ride.......
    Last edited by mayhem; 09-15-2011 at 12:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Mayhem

Very nice build - did Hong Fu do the decals? If not what is the source?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    No, the frame was supplied (and still is) bare carbon. The decals are a mixture of vinyl wrapping and some Cinelli vinyl decals bought off ebay. For my part, I simply bought sheets of black, red and white and used a sharp knife to cut the shapes to achieve the desired result.

The picture isn't great, it makes the frame look black but it is actually a 3K carbon finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Mayhem, I like that a lot, how are you finding the integrated carbon handlebars? I keep looking at them and I'm not sure whether to buy or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Mayhem

Did you use PayPal and was the address cobychao@sohu.com? I'm dealing with"Jane" and there has been some doubt about Jane vs Jenny. Could you confirm ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    rgg01, the integrated carbon bar is a real find I think. I can't detect any noticeable flex, but I don't live in a mountainous area so don't do a lot of climbing (I guess this is when you load the bar most). Maybe over-engineered and a bit heavy ? I ordered 420mm with 100mm reach, but they do feel a bit wide, I probably should have ordered 400 but I can live with them. The shifter position is a bit 'racy', so ignored that and placed them where comfortable.

BacDoc, with respect to contacts at Hong Fu...definitely Jenny. Her paypal is not what you quote, but that doesn't mean she is the only contact at the factory. I got Jenny's details off this forum and found a factory tour by two Americans posted on another forum (with pictures of Jenny). This is ultimately what convinced me that this is a genuine business. They only make their own design frames, which is an aspect that I like.

jenny8088(AT)126.com is her direct email

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Update on "Jane" from Hong Fu

Hi,Kevin
    thanks for your email!
    yes, Jane is work in hongfu.
    her work email address is : Janejian@hongfu-bikes.cn
    her paypal is : cobychao@sohu.com
    thanks!

best regards!
    Jenny

Looks like Jane is legit! And I will be ordering the FM039.
    From those of you that have built this frame any tips on parts with order?
    I am getting seat post, head set, derailleur hangar, bar and stem. Got Ultegra 6700 10 sp group, does frame come with bottom bracket?
    Does head set come with spacers?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Mayhem, is it from hongfu as well? I looked on their site and didn't see it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    rgg01, no the bars came from e_baygoods on ebay, two week delivery to UK for around 70 GBP including shpping

BacDoc, my FM039 came with seatpost, etc as you describe, as standard, but you will need your own bottom bracket. I think you have the important things covered. The integrated seatpost version FM039-ISP looks great, I was very tempted, but would have had to wait longer. It would have been lighter I think...

my only general tips are :
    1. Ask Jenny/Jane for the frame drawing for the size you are considering and compare it to your current bikes with a tape measure. They are small relative to the usual European/US sizes. I orderd 2cm larger than I would have here and it is a perfect fit.

2. Give it a good polish, if only to give it a thorough inspection. The weave will not be perfect, they are obviously designed to be painted, so consider vinyl or decals to cover blemishes.

3. Don't expect perfection.

4. Be patient. Ordering one frame is not going to put you at the top of the priority list !, but I did find Hong Fu very helpful in every respect. I will buy again from them...perhaps a TT bike next...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    persondude27- Is that the 12k matte finish? I like it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Any ideas as to how much the import fees are? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    ososinsk, No it is a 3K finish, I prefer the look.

d1zzzl3, not sure about import duties, I didn't get asked. In the past, I have been asked for 20% of the value (i.e. UK VAT) plus an admin charge for 20 GBP from the post office for collecting the tax. Hong Fu were sensible enough to put the commercial value at $100 US on the shipping forms, so the worst would have been around 35 GBP including charges, if asked. So, not a deal breaker in my opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I was asking about a different bike, the "Black Betty" one that persondude27 posted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
    So, I'm new to this but have been watching a lot of the carbon bike threads and decided to take the plunge myself. I ordered an FM-039 directly from Hong Fu and I thought I would use my first post to show the results.

My experience was excellent given the distance, I could not have hoped for a better service. Jenny answers email very quickly and was always honest about delivery (it took 4 months).

Built with Shimano Ultegra SL throughout, RODI wheels, Fizik saddle and tape, Jagwire cabling, LOOK KEO pedals and Schwalbe tyres. Handlebars are integrated carbon from e_baygoods. Red/White/Black vinyl was done myself and the total weight is 7.6kg, so respectable but not exceptional.

I'm impressed with the ride.......
    How much distance from the rear wheel to the seat tube? I know this was a problem with the 1st gen of FM039. I heard they were going to increase the distance to 1cm from tire to tube. Nice looking ride BTW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ososinsk View Post
    persondude27- Is that the 12k matte finish? I like it.
    Thanks - this is actually the 3K weave. (I think that this roughly translates to "three thousand weaves per inch," or "12 thousand weaves per inch", meaning that bigger numbers mean smaller weaves). It is the matte finish - I like that a whole lot. A UD matte would've looked incredible.

As for the import duty: in the US, I didn't get charged. I read a Canadian saying he got charged on one but not on the other.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Mayhem: Beautiful bike. I love that it's unique without being obnoxious. Also, after doing quite a bit of research on these bars last night, I think your shifters are actually in the right place.

I also have a 42cm bar, which really feels wide to me. It even has 420mm printed on the front, but it fits like a 43 or 44. The bar itself is actually quite nice - definitely not the same lightness as some of those couple-hundred-dollar bars, but 1) those extra 20-30g are NOT going to win me races, and 2) I do like how stiff these bars are. Unlike mayhem, I do live in a very mountainous area, and spend quite a bit of time out of the saddle. They're great.

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast