Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3637383940 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    [QUOTE=asherandjacob;5140787]ooo very nice, this is what we need more of, interesting frames covered in blingy bits, do you have weight for it and hows your chainstay brake doing?

The bike complete as it sits with Garmin mounted is 6.8kg (built to minimum race weight)

Brake location has not been a issue, but I only have around 130 miles on it now. The only issue I foresee is the rear brake location making it more difficult to clean, I added an inline brake adjuster so keeping up with pad to rim gap shouldn't be an issue. I will say the direct mount brakes are much more precise and have better modulation and power in my opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Kincaid View Post
    Good morning,

First post and I thought I should contribute to the group. Thanks to the information on this site I purchased a Hongfu Avenger R8. I just recently completed the build and have about a 100 miles on the bike and I am very very pleased with the outcome. The bike rides and handles great and is very stiff and responsive, everything I was hoping for. Nancy at Hongfu was very easy to work with and I received instant email communication and everything shipped and went as promised.

I will give a future update as I get more miles logged on the bike.
    Attachment 318565

nicely put together, whats the total damage on this build? looks to me its about at least 2000 USD given the rotor 3D and sram etap groupset

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Avenger guys know their paint jobs too
    I really like th elooks of this black-on-black A6: Avenger Cycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    good stuff, nothing upsets the chinese carbon haters more than UCI-limit, top specced frames lolol
    i only asked about the brake as it was an area the only other person on the net i could find who had my frame had had trouble with (the frame was specced with TRP's (T922's) at the rear. so i spent $50 on yokozuna cabling to try and head it off, they were ok and fronts (TTV's) were excellent, both were direct mounts.

how is the shifting with etap on a side note, how slow is "slower than di2"? my project has full red about to go on, and the only way is up!

i really want any up to date info on their carbon bars if anyone has, ideally the ones bugly has, but if anyone has had a set in recently would appreciate your thoughts (especially if you are big/heavy/powerful rider, im probably 20/25 kg over ideal racing weight but have single figure bodyfat, so the bars get some torque through them

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    eTap is working great, if it is slower....big if.. I can't tell a difference. We are talking about milliseconds. It is very smooth and crisp, hasn't missed a beat yet. I'm very satisfied coming from dura-ace mechanical, definitely a step up in performance and ease of set-up.

I'm using dura-ace brakes, as Sram doesn't produce a direct mount brake at this time, but they are working great paired with the eTap levers. No complaints what so ever.

As to the guy that suggested this build came in around $2k, you must not have built a bike with top of the line components lately. ;) just the eTap group set and Power2Max Rotor crank was over $2k.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    Hi Avria

I've been dealing with Huyi tech and they are good. They are subcontracting for some of the big Taiwanese companies and are making brand frames. But because of NDA contracts she couldn't tell me which brands. They seem very professional and i really had to dig for this information. It wasn't something​ she threw out there as some kind of quality assurance. They also refuse to do copyrighted decals on frames, which is a good sign imo. They are also supplying an Ali express store, if you wanna go that route. It's called Top-Cycle store.
    They are even making some of the open molds with EPS molding, which is the same molding process used in top frames. The standard Chinese open molds are usually made with PU bladder molding.
    Communication is good, though sometimes you have to explain things very clear (maybe with an image) for them to understand. But, I guess that's the norm with these dealings.

I have a suspicion that they at least have been producing for the Fuji brand. They had an image at one point from their QA where a guy was reviewing what looks like a Fuji frame... And since they don't do copy stuff...

They also have a close tie to the big Taiwanese APro manufacturer (also something I had to dig out myself). According to the sales woman I've been talking to: "my boss and APro boss are close friends, sometimes we do business cooperation". What that entails, I don't know.

I did get a crappy seat post at one point. That was a backup, i accepted to receive, because the original seat post was out of stock and had to be manufactured first and I couldn't be bothered to wait. I later ordered the original seat post which seems good quality.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

should i be worried that huyi does carry a cervelo frame?

https://cnszhuyi.en.alibaba.com/prod...cle_frame.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by avria View Post
    should i be worried that huyi does carry a cervelo frame?

https://cnszhuyi.en.alibaba.com/prod...cle_frame.html
    No. A lot of the open molds are "inspired" by branded frames. But there are differences if you look closely. I assume you mean the S5 from Cervelo? They have a different head tube / top tube / down tube joint and it seems like the open mold comes with a beefier fork. But the geometry is quite similar.
    This is nothing to be worried about. It's quite common. Personally, I usually go for the frames that are not so heavily inspired by branded. But that's just a personal preference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Glad to hear etap is the business. its a shame about the sram brakes in general, because as well as not providing direct mount, I think their Hydro units hoods are hideous looking, and i would like to do discs on next build if possible, ive heard great things about the cable actuated hydraulics trp's, which would get round it nicely though.

@avria, the s5 and the open mold are orrible looking bikes, best to steer clear for that reason alone

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    TRP HY/RDd require more cable pull for proper braking than SRAM levers can provide

the front brake can be set up for short stroke and good braking power from the hoods when the caliper is new, but it doesn't last
    I bled/serviced them a few times since then, and couldn't reproduce that initial setup
    Changed the cables & housings to Yokozuna Reaction this winter and, counterintuitively, the rear brake has become weaker and no amount of tightening and taking up the cable slack helps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Why buy a cheapo china carbon bike when you can buy this Ridley for $599 shipped? yes, probably made in China, but certainly to a higher standard for retail. I just received one and it is spot on a well made frame:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...xleSB4LW5pZ2h0

Granted, a bit dated, but solid proven reputation for the frameset...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Why buy a cheapo china carbon bike when you can buy this Ridley for $599 shipped? yes, probably made in China, but certainly to a higher standard for retail. I just received one and it is spot on a well made frame:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...xleSB4LW5pZ2h0

Granted, a bit dated, but solid proven reputation for the frameset...
    is this just trolling lol?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    No troll here, just trying to show a good deal.... I was seriously looking to buy a china carbon frame, but just don't feel like rolling the dice. Just compared the painted frame I posted to a china frame. It costs less than a black no name china frame...... with a easy return policy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    its a cyclocross frame.
    it costs less than SOME chinese frames
    you can also have any chinese frame custom painted for like $60.
    which dice are you rolling, this thread is 7 v's long and how many complaints are ther
    you might as well post a picture of an e-bike and say "hey, if you don't fancy pedalling uphill, try one of these"
    of course, people wanting to read about chinese carbon pedal bikes, wont find that relevant or helpful, coz they dont want a electric assist bike from trek for example, even if it is a good deal

never mind, buy it and have fun riding, start a thread about it elsewhere and review it, paint it in oils, naked, its a free world

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015

China carbon, so close, yet so far

Listen, I really wanted to buy a china carbon frame. But if you do a search on this site and google, there are plenty of issues with these frames. Ignorance is bliss. There is no way to validate these frames other than to trade sarcastic anecdotes. I spent months trying to talk to china makers to find information that would give me some sense of the quality and safety of these frames, --but the response I got back to my specific questions from the china carbon makers was so vague, and sometime hilarious ("trust us, we love you, our frames number 1 hot, we don't use much fiberglass").

They are so close to a great product if they would just take a few steps to somehow certify their frames in a meaningful way such that I could know that I am not gambling my well being ...

Quote Originally Posted by asherandjacob View Post
    its a cyclocross frame.
    it costs less than SOME chinese frames
    you can also have any chinese frame custom painted for like $60.
    which dice are you rolling, this thread is 7 v's long and how many complaints are ther
    you might as well post a picture of an e-bike and say "hey, if you don't fancy pedalling uphill, try one of these"
    of course, people wanting to read about chinese carbon pedal bikes, wont find that relevant or helpful, coz they dont want a electric assist bike from trek for example, even if it is a good deal

never mind, buy it and have fun riding, start a thread about it elsewhere and review it, paint it in oils, naked, its a free world

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    wtf?
    so all of us who have owned ridden and reported on our frames are just meaningless anecdotes? the whole reason for the threads is to build up such meaningless anecdotes together so that they actually take on meaning. 99% of the complaints are down to slow deliveries and comms, cant remember any membes on here with frame failures... remember plenty of wankers saying, they had found this or that photo on internet or their mate knew someone who had a china frame fail etcetc. what you want is them to have MARKETING departments that can say oh yeh, our frames are23.5% stiffer and safer than last years. but then they would cost a lot more while we paid for ad mens salaries.
    you have no idea of the product, you havent purchased it. go away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by asherandjacob View Post
    wtf?
    so all of us who have owned ridden and reported on our frames are just meaningless anecdotes? the whole reason for the threads is to build up such meaningless anecdotes together so that they actually take on meaning. 99% of the complaints are down to slow deliveries and comms, cant remember any membes on here with frame failures... remember plenty of wankers saying, they had found this or that photo on internet or their mate knew someone who had a china frame fail etcetc. what you want is them to have MARKETING departments that can say oh yeh, our frames are23.5% stiffer and safer than last years. but then they would cost a lot more while we paid for ad mens salaries.
    you have no idea of the product, you havent purchased it. go away.
    stay calm man. everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by avria View Post
    stay calm man. everyone's entitled to their own opinions.
    which i fully understand and respect. thing is, this massive list of forums has room for them all and yet this one, instead of being where owners/buyers/potential buyers of these frames discuss their kit, is ruined over and over again by people just coming along and saying "the chinese are no good". if he really wants his ridley cyclocross frame, cool, start a thread talking about it, in the relevant forum?

i want to hear about buglys bloody carbon bars and a ride report of kincaids blingwagon lol, plus any more long/medium/first ride reports anyone can be arsed writing. thats why i first came to this thread (asherstash1, thread v2.0 i think), the reason i give up is because i dont want to read pages of arguing about whether dave from montana thinks we should all buy moots coz the chinese cant speak english and anyway his mate saw a chinese plough snap once. do you get me bro?

also my ex is being a PITA so im a little tense... sorry

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    I know a member who had a chinese carbon fork fail on him
    so there's 1
    (of course, there're more of such reports if you really look around)
    these things do break, and sometimes without a good reason

Poseur
    Well, you also tend to only hear from people who are having problems. FWIW, I'm still riding the Ican Aero 007 I built up about 2 1/2 years ago and thousands of miles later. I've had no issues in that time, it's been pretty much like any other normal bike. Hasn't exploded on me yet.

OTOH, the local cycling club won't let me ride with them, they don't allow these frames on their group rides. You don't want one disintegrating in the middle of the pack.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seriously? Do they do safety inspections of all bikes to make sure there are no cracks developing?

Or are they just using that as an excuse because they just really don't want to ride with you?

Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post

OTOH, the local cycling club won't let me ride with them, they don't allow these frames on their group rides. You don't want one disintegrating in the middle of the pack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    That's just silly...

Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    Or are they just using that as an excuse because they just really don't want to ride with you?
    Perhaps. I never can get all the stink out of some of my jerseys.

But yeah, they start a couple of their weekly rides from the school parking lot just down the street from me. One day I was on a ride and ended up talking with a few of them, and at first they were all like "you should come out for the ride this weekend". But then one asked about the brand of my bike (I have it painted with my own, made-up brand name so he obviously had never heard of it) and when I told them it was a China frame they changed their tune. Not allowed, for all the same reasons everyone always gives for avoiding these frames, but I was welcome if I had a different bike.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    when I told them it was a China frame they changed their tune. Not allowed, for all the same reasons everyone always gives for avoiding these frames, but I was welcome if I had a different bike.
    Never heard of it although people on my bike ride always ask what's the brand of my Ican. No one complained (yet).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    But then one asked about the brand of my bike (I have it painted with my own, made-up brand name so he obviously had never heard of it) and when I told them it was a China frame they changed their tune.
    I wonder if the result would have been positive if you told them it was Korean brand. How will they prove otherwise...?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    WS Recommended Road Sizes
    Frame Size center-to-center: 57 cm
    Frame Size center-to-top: 59 cm
    Overall Reach: 70.50 cm
    Saddle Height: 77.70 cm
    Handlebar Width: 44 cm

I made Some test online and also thinking about buy frame and wheels from China.

For sure want frame with BSA, was looking for r-022 frame from velobuild.
    But also the FM169 frame I really like.

Can somebody give me Some advice??

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3637383940 ... LastLast