Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 38394041 LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1001
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    After a long process of elimination, I'm finding myself looking at a Velobuild VB-R-054.

However, digging up old posts, I've learned about VB's transformation from forum to shop and the associated shenanigans.

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with them in recent times?
    i personally haven't dealt with them but i did looked at one of their frames (VB-R-068/069) and did a reverse google search of it. i found that the company that was supplying them was huyi tech.

according aske its a pretty reliable company? so probably the others are of better suppliers than the ones floating on alibaba.

Quote Originally Posted by avria View Post
    Hey has anyone have any knowledge on Huyi tech bikes? are they any good? i assume that if velobuild is using them they should be pretty decent?

i was looking to get a bike off from velobuild (VB-R-068 - carbon fiber aero road frame VB-R-068)

but i figured why not just cut the middle man (velobuild) and go direct to the vendor, so i did a reverse google search and found that Huyi tech should be the ones supplying for velobuild

see

https://cnszhuyi.en.alibaba.com/prod...ghtweight.html

or

https://www.grvstec.com/portfolio-it...on-road-frame/

Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    Hi Avria

I've been dealing with Huyi tech and they are good. They are subcontracting for some of the big Taiwanese companies and are making brand frames. But because of NDA contracts she couldn't tell me which brands. They seem very professional and i really had to dig for this information. It wasn't something​ she threw out there as some kind of quality assurance. They also refuse to do copyrighted decals on frames, which is a good sign imo. They are also supplying an Ali express store, if you wanna go that route. It's called Top-Cycle store.
    They are even making some of the open molds with EPS molding, which is the same molding process used in top frames. The standard Chinese open molds are usually made with PU bladder molding.
    Communication is good, though sometimes you have to explain things very clear (maybe with an image) for them to understand. But, I guess that's the norm with these dealings.

I have a suspicion that they at least have been producing for the Fuji brand. They had an image at one point from their QA where a guy was reviewing what looks like a Fuji frame... And since they don't do copy stuff...

They also have a close tie to the big Taiwanese APro manufacturer (also something I had to dig out myself). According to the sales woman I've been talking to: "my boss and APro boss are close friends, sometimes we do business cooperation". What that entails, I don't know.

I did get a crappy seat post at one point. That was a backup, i accepted to receive, because the original seat post was out of stock and had to be manufactured first and I couldn't be bothered to wait. I later ordered the original seat post which seems good quality.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    i personally haven't dealt with them but i did looked at one of their frames (VB-R-068/069) and did a reverse google search of it. i found that the company that was supplying them was huyi tech.

according aske its a pretty reliable company? so probably the others are of better suppliers than the ones floating on alibaba.
    Thanks for pulling that up; the frames look nicely made, navigating aliexpress does seem like a nightmare though?

There's, like, dozens of pages with these small thumbnail pictures, which all look different and most of them are just the same frameset, just different pictures with reworded descriptions. Am I missing something there, is it supposed to be this daunting?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    BTW, I wonder whether Huyi really makes anything; with some legwork, I've traced the Velobuild 069, and a number of other frames, back to HQ Carbon Bike; the formatting of their geometry chart is easy to tell apart:

HQR19 carbon fiber road bike frame

Some I suspect to be matches: VB-R-068, VB-R-099, VB-R-066, VB-R-025, possibly more.

Velobuild's VB-R-054 is from another company entirely, AEL YiErLan Sports:

AEL-R8009-ShenZhen YiErLan Sports Equipment Technology Co.,Ltd

This particular frame was already mentioned in thread as Orge OG-CF26; may need to open this link in Incognito for it to work correctly.

Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
    What would you guys recommend for a guy that mainly does crits and circuit races and is a sprinter. I race between 30-50 times a year and don't have a full bike sponsor this year so having something "disposable" is a must. I'm really attracted to bikes like the Giant TCR. Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Hmm interesting. Though all thoughts aside.

Have you ever considered the hongfu avenger? Seems to be a really solid bike with good reviews so far.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hmm interesting. Though all thoughts aside.

Have you ever considered the hongfu avenger? Seems to be a really solid bike with good reviews so far.

I have, but honestly I was hoping for something cheaper for two reasons. One, a lot of money is going to travel. And two, my bike could very easily end up broken in transit let alone in a pile up at a crit. So I was hoping for sub $450-500 shipped. That way if necessary I could immediately buy a second one without upsetting my budget.

On a side note a sloping top tube is a plus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CabDoctor View Post
    I have, but honestly I was hoping for something cheaper for two reasons. One, a lot of money is going to travel. And two, my bike could very easily end up broken in transit let alone in a pile up at a crit. So I was hoping for sub $450-500 shipped. That way if necessary I could immediately buy a second one without upsetting my budget.

On a side note a sloping top tube is a plus.
    Have you looked at the other frames from hongfu, dengfu, flyxii, miracle or ican? Maybe the fm066. You should check out weightweeine Forum they rave on about the fm066

or maybe flyxii fr320 (similar to S tarmac SL?) FLX-FR-320 - ShenZhen Flyxii Spor

The top 3 rated manufacturers would have to be hongfu, dengfu and flyxii.

So probably good advice that you stick to them. good luck and good hunting mate.

Last edited by avria; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:03 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Hey Guys....

Anyone have an FM686 aka LTK118 aka VeloBuild V-077?

Trying to decide if it is worth choosing over the FM066. Is the FM066 EPS?

It appears LTK is the manufacture. Is it stiff enough to race?

Ribble's high end road bike is using this frame. Only one review of it so far which was pretty good:

Ribble SL review - Cycling Weekly

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I like my Flyxii Fr322, have about 1400 miles on it since last August. Very nice bike, nice ride. I'm a Clyde, find the bike plenty stiff in the b-bracket, not noodly at all, very stable in 40 mph downhills as well.

It'll take up to a 25mm tire, not a 28 though. Can be purchased with a BSA bottom bracket, which I specifically wanted. With a set of Open Pro/105 wheels with 32 spokes, full 5800 105 group, aluminum stem/bar/seatpost, it came out to 16.8 lbs in a 56.

It was a very easy purchase and delivery, took about 2 weeks, Flyxii was very responsive to e-mail questions. It's running about $379 shipped to the US currently, they took PayPal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltThizzney View Post
    Hey Guys....

Ribble's high end road bike is using this frame. Only one review of it so far which was pretty good:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...c.php?t=143418

Check this out. I suggest buying from workswell or ltk direct.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CabDoctor View Post
    What would you guys recommend for a guy that mainly does crits and circuit races and is a sprinter. I race between 30-50 times a year and don't have a full bike sponsor this year so having something "disposable" is a must. I'm really attracted to bikes like the Giant TCR. Thanks in advance.
    I would look at the Flyxii FR-322. I had it, my impression it was made for racing, not the casual fun rides I like to do with a lot of hills. I got rid of it for a more relaxed fit, lightweight climbing frame. Compare to the R5 like frame I have now, the ride is, unforgiving, this was not a carbon frame for compliance, to me it was stiff everywhere, unyielding. Smooth ride though.

It's currently reduced priced, to me it was a blend of Trek Madone and Specialized Tarmac. Plenty stiff, weight decent, but with racing components I'm sure you can get it down to 15lbs.

It seems to tick off the boxes. It's reliable, I have yet to read a disaster story with it. Cost efficient, fast frame, geometry made for racing. Only problem, you'll be limited in tire width. They also ship fast, I got my frame in 5 days to the door, so if you need a quick replacement, good company. I rode it fine with 23mm for 2 years, but I much prefer riding 27mm on my current bike.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
    I would look at the Flyxii FR-322. I had it, my impression it was made for racing, not the casual fun rides I like to do with a lot of hills. I got rid of it for a more relaxed fit, lightweight climbing frame. Compare to the R5 like frame I have now, the ride is, unforgiving, this was not a carbon frame for compliance, to me it was stiff everywhere, unyielding. Smooth ride though.

It's currently reduced priced, to me it was a blend of Trek Madone and Specialized Tarmac. Plenty stiff, weight decent, but with racing components I'm sure you can get it down to 15lbs.

It seems to tick off the boxes. It's reliable, I have yet to read a disaster story with it. Cost efficient, fast frame, geometry made for racing. Only problem, you'll be limited in tire width. They also ship fast, I got my frame in 5 days to the door, so if you need a quick replacement, good company. I rode it fine with 23mm for 2 years, but I much prefer riding 27mm on my current bike.

Good luck.
    Good comments, my experience as well, I'm a Clyde so don't find it overly harsh. I use 25mm Grand Prix 4 Seasons, as well as 25mm Mavic tires that came on my Kyseriums. Bigger then 25 won't fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    The FR-322 doesn't have an aggressive geometry FWIW, pretty much middle of the road (pardon the pun) for a road bike, I would say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    The FR-322 doesn't have an aggressive geometry FWIW, pretty much middle of the road (pardon the pun) for a road bike, I would say.
    I disagree, maybe on paper what Flyxii has published, but not in person, that thing is mean machine. I've test rode the Tarmac and the FR-322 felt very similar. It's more aggressive than Trek Emonda or Cervelo R5 which are classic race frames, climber's dream. My current frame is lightweight climber, but definitely not endurance, FR-322 is definitely more aggressive and like said, my current frame is race geometry. FR-322 to me was made for crit racing CabDoctor was looking for. I'd definitely go for FR-322 than an ALU like Allez Sprint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I've got 2,000 miles on an FR-322, and over 10,000 miles on 3 different FlyXii frames. The 322 is a great bike, and has the best overall build quality of the 3 frames I've bought from them really nicely done.

I think the "racing vs endurance" geometry is sometimes a bit overstated, since so much of the geometry of the BIKE depends on what you do with your stem and spacers. I run my 322 with a stem flipped up and a bit of spacers. I run my FR-602 with the stem flipped down and slammed. Of course, you MUST by a frame with a geometry that CAN be made to work with your fit, but there's a bit more room in there than some folks imagine. It's worth playing around with a stack and reach calculator to see which frames can fit you, rather than saying "I can't ride that because it's too aggressive."

One bit of experience that I've had which differs from other: I'm running SUPER wide carbon rims with 25mm Schwalbe One tires and they measure at just over 27mm. They fit fine and have never rubbed. Couldn't run fenders, of course, but the 322 will at least take a slightly wider tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
    Cervelo R5 which are classic race frames, climber's dream.
    I'm aware of what the Cervelo marketing material claims, but since 54 cm frames exist with a head tube of 120 mm or whereabouts, anything that is 380/540 mm can't be claimed to be an "aggressive" geometry (the 322 has a 145 HT IIRC)

An endurance bike in that size will have a headtube in 160-170 mm range with a reach closer to 370 than 380.

Which is not to say that it is a shopping trolley or anything diminutive, I'm sure it's nice but the geometry is neither among the most aggressive, nor among the most relaxed, for a road bike, which makes it middle of the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Slightly off topic, I have a unpainted carbon fibre frame and wanted some advice on painting and decals.

I was thinking of getting some decals from Marco in Brazil (Stickers Design)

What advice do people have for these decals? I assume wet-n-dry frame then apply decal then clearcoat - wet-n-dry-clearcoat?

For painting a small amount of the new frame, say forks, would you wet-n-dry, undercoat, topcoat, clearcoat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltThizzney View Post
    Hey Guys....

Go through this thread. A few people built bikes with LTK118 and liked it. Built up pics of them are gorgeous. FM066 seems popular but I think has been superseded by WorksWell 066, add that to your list. I love mine, it's the most comfortable bike I've ridden, climbs hills crazy fast, just love it for the hilly routes I ride. I don't race or do competitive group rides, can't tell you how it is for that, but it handles great, comfortable, I've taken it on gravel paths, still comfortable. I like it a lot.

If I was to build another frame, my choice would be HF-FM008, looks to be the successor to the FM066, retains the aero squoval tubes, but the fork is flared like the newer forks used by Orbea and Pinarello. Looks nice to me, it's more expensive, but worth considering.

Also the FM296 to consider, Manual Pedal on YT does crit races frequently with it, has had good success, his review is great which you can watch or read about. He prefers it to his former Tarmac SL4, that's some praise.

Get the frame that will make you want to ride. When I look at my bike, I want to ride, I love it.
    Last edited by ruckus; 1 Week Ago at 03:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Just placed an order for a 066 VB-R-066 Ultra Light Road Racing Bike Frame made by Toray T-800 Carbon Fiber,Road Frame It appears to be a very similar to a Canyon Ultimate. We shall see.

A few questions for anyone who has this frame or has ordered from Velobuild.

I was told by Chris at Velobuild the headset was "semi-integrated." I'd like to get a nicer HS for this frame, but semi-intergraded to me means the CC ZS standard. From what it looks like on the website for their headset, it looks like like a CC IS standard or drop-in. Does anyone know this?

Also, for this particular frame, I was told max tire size was 28, but they recommend 25. Does anyone have any experience with using 28s?
    Last edited by varian72; 1 Week Ago at 10:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for pulling that up; the frames look nicely made, navigating aliexpress does seem like a nightmare though?

There's, like, dozens of pages with these small thumbnail pictures, which all look different and most of them are just the same frameset, just different pictures with reworded descriptions. Am I missing something there, is it supposed to be this daunting?

Is it just me or is the VBR 068 "inspired" by the new Venge?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    They usually have one model similar to a Venge. As long as I have been interested in Chinese Carbon frames, they had one. Just as they usually have a frame that looks like the latest Pinarello flagship, their 2017 new frame is clearly a F10.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    Just placed an order for a 066 VB-R-066 Ultra Light Road Racing Bike Frame made by Toray T-800 Carbon Fiber,Road Frame It appears to be a very similar to a Canyon Ultimate. We shall see.
    Very interested, please keep us posted.

As for the headset, looking at the complete bike picture, it does seem to be integrated, not semi integrated, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 504yaj View Post
    Is it just me or is the VBR 068 "inspired" by the new Venge?
    The 068 is inspired by the Cipollini RB1k, the 025 reminiscent of the Cervelo S5, and so on. There was some discussion, upthread, that there actually are enough different details to make them not knock-offs.

For instance, Flyxii also has an S5 look-alike, which is easier to tell apart than Velobuild's 25 because the cable stops are on one side of the downtube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Does anyone have experience buying from ShenZhen TanTan Cycling? I was looking at the TT-X1 which looks like a similar shape to the Canyon Aeroad. I emailed them and they seemed responsive.

http://www.tantancycling.com/index.p...=view&p_id=520

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Very interested, please keep us posted.

As for the headset, looking at the complete bike picture, it does seem to be integrated, not semi integrated, to me.
    Headset was confirmed IS41/IS52.

After seeing an article on it, I just rechecked the canyon endurance and this frame is actually closer to the VB-R-077 than the Canyon ultimate with the HA,SA, headtube, stack and reach more closely matching up. The top tube is a good deal longer on the Endurace (530 vs 541), however. Chainstays don't match up either (405 vs 415). Hope it doesn't have some wonky ride as a result.

Coming off a Specialized Tarmac and I really liked the Geo. The VB will be a taller bike with the longer HT and a bit slacker.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Headset was confirmed IS41/IS52.
    While I don't have any first-hand experience with Chinese frames, I've read a suggestion that they're all using the same headset. That is quite the wide statement, however I haven't seen anything so far to disprove it.

The headset they're using appears to be compatible with FSA's C-40 #42, although I think there are three different versions of it on FSA's site and thus YMMV.

After seeing an article on it, I just rechecked the canyon endurance and this frame is actually closer to the VB-R-077 than the Canyon ultimate with the HA,SA, headtube, stack and reach more closely matching up.
    If the geometry were exactly the same, it would be easy to call it a knock-off.

FWIW, I suspect that the differences in geometry across road bikes are small enough that differences in handling are either wildly overstated or very colored by perception. On that matter, I think Josh Poertner has written some very wise words.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 38394041 LastLast