Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3940414243 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1058
  1. #1001
    Just cool enough
    Reputation: James6b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    58
    Yay....after dismantling my main road bike to build one of these for the wife using my old components I have a geared roadie again. The single speed was getting old.

    Flyxii-fr-320 with Shimano RX disc wheels and Microshift Centos 11 speed which I love. The thumb shifters are awesome and super comfy/ergonomic. I really like this brand and get all messed up when I rent bikes w/ 105's when on vacation.

    The first 25 yesterday was smooth and I can't wait to go again tonight after work.

    Yes, that is Star Wars font and an Imperial logo on the head tube. Now I just need a Death Star top cap. Hashtag MediocreMechanic.

    Attachment 319537Attachment 319538Attachment 319539Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0-bike-3.jpgChinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0-bike-2.jpgChinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0-bike-1.jpg
    Last edited by James6b; 06-27-2017 at 11:56 AM.

  2. #1002
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    While I don't have any first-hand experience with Chinese frames, I've read a suggestion that they're all using the same headset. That is quite the wide statement, however I haven't seen anything so far to disprove it.

    The headset they're using appears to be compatible with FSA's C-40 #42, although I think there are three different versions of it on FSA's site and thus YMMV.
    While Velobuild confirmed it was an IS41 headset, the IS41 headset I ordered does not work. The bearing is too loose. I did not keep my FSA from my cracked frame so I can't compare. Is it safe for me to assume an IS42 is a larger bearing than the IS41 and that might be what I need? based on what you said above, the FSA #42...is that and IS42? Thanks for the help, I'm new to drop-in headsets riding primary mtn bikes and never touching my tarmacs HS except to lube over the past 12 years.

  3. #1003
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    While Velobuild confirmed it was an IS41 headset, the IS41 headset I ordered does not work. The bearing is too loose. I did not keep my FSA from my cracked frame so I can't compare. Is it safe for me to assume an IS42 is a larger bearing than the IS41 and that might be what I need? based on what you said above, the FSA #42...is that and IS42? Thanks for the help, I'm new to drop-in headsets riding primary mtn bikes and never touching my tarmacs HS except to lube over the past 12 years.
    I'm on my third open mould, they have all been IS42

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  4. #1004
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    I'm on my third open mould, they have all been IS42

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    That was my feeling. DAMN! I really wanted my orange top cap. Vanity always kills.

  5. #1005
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    That was my feeling. DAMN! I really wanted my orange top cap. Vanity always kills.
    The top cap should be reusable. It's just the upper bearing size that differs... AFAIK...

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  6. #1006
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    The top cap should be reusable. It's just the upper bearing size that differs... AFAIK...

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I thought the same thing, but it seems different for some reason. its a Hope vs the no name sent with the frame. I'll give it a shot, but it seems to seal the IS41 better. Thanks

  7. #1007
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    While Velobuild confirmed it was an IS41 headset, the IS41 headset I ordered does not work. The bearing is too loose.
    Did they not send the headset, or was it your choice not to use it?

    Asking because I'm interested in the quality of the headset they're providing.

    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    based on what you said above, the FSA #42...is that and IS42? Thanks for the help, I'm new to drop-in headsets riding primary mtn bikes and never touching my tarmacs HS except to lube over the past 12 years.
    The C-40 #42 is indeed an IS42/IS52 headset:

    C-40 #42/48-CF ACB
    C-40 #42 ACB
    C-40 #42/48 ACB

    The difference appears to be just some part being metal or carbon fiber.

    Their saying that the headset is IS41 may be a typo, but considering they also told you that the headset was semi integrated first try, it lends more credence to what someone said upthread:

    ...that most Chinese sellers don't understand one thing about bike stuff to begin with.

  8. #1008
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    Did they not send the headset, or was it your choice not to use it?

    Asking because I'm interested in the quality of the headset they're providing.



    The C-40 #42 is indeed an IS42/IS52 headset:

    C-40 #42/48-CF ACB
    C-40 #42 ACB
    C-40 #42/48 ACB

    The difference appears to be just some part being metal or carbon fiber.

    Their saying that the headset is IS41 may be a typo, but considering they also told you that the headset was semi integrated first try, it lends more credence to what someone said upthread:

    ...that most Chinese sellers don't understand one thing about bike stuff to begin with.
    yeah, it came with a headset, I was just opting for a little bling so I ordered a new one. I'm sure what they sent is fine. I've never had to replace a headset that was sealed well enough and there is where I am somewhat concerned with this frame. While the top bearing they sent sits well enough in the molded cups, its does not sit 100% flush with the top of the head tube. So, the cover does not 100% seal the top of the bearing. As was suggested above that I could use the Hope top cap I got with the IS41, the coverage with that top cape is even worse. So, I'm thinking your basic CC 40 or FSA Orbit headset top may solve the issue as those top caps have always offered pretty good coverage of the top bearing.

    As for the frame, all looks pretty good. Only issues are the cable liner did not extend out the rear of the frame for the RD so I''ll need to fish out the cable. Also, I was only provided 1 metal plug for the exit holes for the RD and FD cabling exit. The holes are too big for your basic housing ferrule so I'm not sure what I'll do here. To maintain good rear shifting, I think I need to use the metal plug in the rear as it does have a cable sized hole it in and a ferrule fits nice inside the plug to seal things up.

    I don't have my components yet so I have not tried to build it up. Hoping the cable routing for the FD will allow me to throw a small piece of protective frame tape over the hole and just poke the cable through it on way to the FD. Not elegant, but appropriate given what I paid for the frame I guess.

    I'll post pics as I get more into it. Hopefully parts arrive in the next day or so.

  9. #1009
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    As for the frame, all looks pretty good. Only issues are the cable liner did not extend out the rear of the frame for the RD so I''ll need to fish out the cable. Also, I was only provided 1 metal plug for the exit holes for the RD and FD cabling exit. The holes are too big for your basic housing ferrule so I'm not sure what I'll do here.
    Looking at the pictures, the front of the 077 doesn't appear to have the screw-on flat metal stops found on some other frames, so I'm wondering whether the cable is supposed to run inside the frame up to a point?

    edit: on second thought, I looked this up on weightweenies, seems to have ferrules in there.

    http://i.imgur.com/RkZYCyBh.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    I'll post pics as I get more into it. Hopefully parts arrive in the next day or so.
    Cool, looking forward to them.

  10. #1010
    .je
    .je is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    780
    It's supposed to have a built-in cup to retain the outer cable's ferrule (why is it called a ferrule, if it's made of plastic??).

    If you go back a few pages, you will see that a few of us had one or both of those cups missing.
    No worry, you can get a fitting for one from your LBS that drops in.

    A few months later, I found a drop-in fitting on my garage floor that the vendor must have included for me. SMH!!

  11. #1011
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    It's supposed to have a built-in cup to retain the outer cable's ferrule (why is it called a ferrule, if it's made of plastic??).

    If you go back a few pages, you will see that a few of us had one or both of those cups missing.
    No worry, you can get a fitting for one from your LBS that drops in.

    A few months later, I found a drop-in fitting on my garage floor that the vendor must have included for me. SMH!!
    Thanks, I have one so that is good. I'm hoping I can just wing the other. My LBS is pretty small, but I'll look into it.

  12. #1012
    .je
    .je is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    780
    Have a look starting here, there are pictures of others' solutions in following posts:
    Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0 - Page 27
    Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0

  13. #1013
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    103
    Cool, -je, thanks for chiming in.

  14. #1014
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Have a look starting here, there are pictures of others' solutions in following posts:
    Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0 - Page 27
    Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0
    Thanks! Jagwire Plugs ordered from Amazon. Here Friday.

  15. #1015
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    37
    Here is the "unboxing" video of my HQR01 frame ordered from: HQR01-Carbon road bike frame

    https://youtu.be/MoDjK9g2XCY

    Way back on one of the previous threads I posted a series of vids about my Deng-Fu FM028. I've not done much more than unwrap this frame but I will try and respond to any questions about it or hqcarbonbike.

    What I can say about hqcarbonbike is you communicate with Lance Tan who speaks good English. Contact was good, even after money changed hands. I paid by Paypal. Build was a few days after the order with delivery taking about a week from China with good tracking. Of course I got hit for sales tax / anti dumping tax which is quite high in Europe for Chinese products.

  16. #1016
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by davidof View Post
    Here is the "unboxing" video of my HQR01 frame ordered from: HQR01-Carbon road bike frame

    https://youtu.be/MoDjK9g2XCY

    Way back on one of the previous threads I posted a series of vids about my Deng-Fu FM028. I've not done much more than unwrap this frame but I will try and respond to any questions about it or hqcarbonbike.

    What I can say about hqcarbonbike is you communicate with Lance Tan who speaks good English. Contact was good, even after money changed hands. I paid by Paypal. Build was a few days after the order with delivery taking about a week from China with good tracking. Of course I got hit for sales tax / anti dumping tax which is quite high in Europe for Chinese products.
    Nice. Lugged like a Colnago

  17. #1017
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    Nice. Lugged like a Colnago
    I'm pretty sure that it is a monocoque type construction. The geometry is the same but my feeling is that it is built in a mould rather than the traditional approach adopted by C.nago. The result will probably be that it rides different. It may not be a bad thing though.

    When I've built the bike up I'll get back with more information about how it rides.

  18. #1018
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1

    velobuild vb-r-074

    has anyone seen any more info for velobuild vb-r-074? (manufacturer, ..)
    looks interesting to me.
    also the new vb-r-099

    am kind of looking for light aero'ish frame.

  19. #1019
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by davidof View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it is a monocoque type construction. The geometry is the same but my feeling is that it is built in a mould rather than the traditional approach adopted by C.nago. The result will probably be that it rides different. It may not be a bad thing though.

    When I've built the bike up I'll get back with more information about how it rides.
    Probably but looks pretty cool anyway

  20. #1020
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0-img_0760.jpg

    I need a little advice/help. Velobuild did not feed the cable liner all the way through the rear derailleur exit in the chain stay.

    Any advice on how best to fish the cable out? I feel like its getting hung up on the kink in the chain stay.I was thinking about running a cable backwards and taping it to the shifter cable so I could pull it through but that would mean cutting the cable liner at the BB in order to expose it.

    Also, I am concerned that even if I get the cable out of exit that the tensioned able once installed will hit the inside of the frame wearing it away. Am I overthinking it? It just seems like the cable will not be able to make the upward turn without touching the frame interior and every shift will just eat away at the frame.

    Thanks!

  21. #1021
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    48
    thread & vacuum cleaner

  22. #1022
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    Very interested, please keep us posted.

    As for the headset, looking at the complete bike picture, it does seem to be integrated, not semi integrated, to me.


    The 068 is inspired by the Cipollini RB1k, the 025 reminiscent of the Cervelo S5, and so on. There was some discussion, upthread, that there actually are enough different details to make them not knock-offs.

    For instance, Flyxii also has an S5 look-alike, which is easier to tell apart than Velobuild's 25 because the cable stops are on one side of the downtube.



    Cant really see the RB1k on the VBR068, but maybe the VBR069 is closer to that bike.

    The RB1k has a curved seat tube, and the VBR068's is a bit slimmer there and on the top tube area where it meets the headtube.

  23. #1023
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    thread & vacuum cleaner
    Magnet worked.

    Frame is built up. According to sum of individual parts, I'm around 16lbs for a small VB-R-077 with Shimano Ultegra 6800, old Mavic Ksyrium SLs, and no fancy carbon stuff.

    I'll post pics another time, but a few things:

    The seat post binder is awful. they need to revisit this one even if it means another $20 per frame.

    I'm impressed by the stiffness of the frame. It climbs really well compared to my older 2006 Spesh Tarmac. The frame is about 1lb lighter. It also rode a lot harsher than the tarmac which was a bit disappointing.

    However, after swapping out the stock seat post for my older Specialized post with a zertz insert, the ride smoothed out noticeably. The stock seat post was light at 185g, but it was really, really harsh on my rear end. I didn't realize how much that zertz gel worked. The bike rides almost as smooth at the tarmac and its much lighter and has me in a more upright position which is great.

    The lawyer tab on one side of my fork cracked off when I was clamping my wheel in. They are not very well done anyway but I'm not concerned about the integrity of the fork.

    The steerer appears to be all carbon I crushed what I trimmed and did not notice any layers of different material, but I'm not carbon expert. Maybe its woven in somehow. it is very thick and I could not fit my prior steerer plug in, so just used the really heavy, but overbuilt expander that came with the frame.

    As mentioned before, the upper headset cup does not allow the bearing to sit flush with the top tube so a short, but not flat headset caps is needed to adequately cover the bearing. I'm using the stock headset, but may throw in a cane creek.

    Overall, I am pleased. I rode a bit cautiously at first given the few scary stories I've seen about chinese frames, but I barely thought about it my second ride.

  24. #1024
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    499
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryhuHkbb-o

    Interesting to see for attention to detail from the Chinese factories regarding bottom brackets. HongFu/DengFu prove they have the skill and knowledge in carbon to beat brand names like Cannondale, Cervelo, Specialized. He measured the tolerances in three different ways, and HongFu/DengFu were consistently accurate.

    He did say the Chinese bearings are not manufactured to tolerances of Euro/Jap though. The suggestion if your HongFu is creaking, it's not the frame, it's the bottom bracket, get better bearings.

    Gives me some confidence as I wait for HongFu or DengFu to design a new frame with a classic lightweight frame good for climbing and comfort with direct mount brakes.

  25. #1025
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    I've narrowed my decision to either VB-R-055 or VB-R-077. These are available from their factories, but the prices for the same frame (+ headset + seatpost etc.) are still a little better at Velobuild.

    The 77 is a newer design, maybe better over vibrations, not sure if LT makes nicer things than Dongfu, but it's $80 more, which is more than $100 after exchange to me.
    I prefer BSA, but the 55 comes with an adaptor...

    If you look at the geo charts, they're almost exactly duplicates to the mm, except one has 5mm more stack.


    Would you advise one above the other?? I'd like to pull the trigger in the next day or so...
    I have the 77. Its not as good across vibrations as my 2006 tarmac that had vibration gel in it. It's mush stiffer and lighter, however. So far so good! Shitty seat post clamp, but it works.

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3940414243 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 6.0
    By adam_mac84 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 5449
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 10:46 AM
  2. Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 5.0
    By robpar in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 6009
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
  3. Chinese carbon frame Ebay and direct thread 3.0
    By Coolhand in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 1473
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 12:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •