Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 41424344 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1082
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    bkidd1187, it's only a headset
    get calipers and measure both the bearing(s) - whichever one is loose in its seat - and the seat diameter
    if the difference is more than 0.2mm, cut a strip out of a beer can and place it between the bearing and its seat

you can find the standard dimensions for IS42/IS52 drop-in tapered headset (which, I assume, is the subject) here:
    http://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/files/index/download/id/627ec69c87b0442b6228ac2de5791d1897/

if the head tube is way off spec, a photo of digital calipers in the offending seat with diameter clearly readable would probably help you get something out of the seller

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bkidd1187 View Post
    True, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I'm really dissapointed that this frameset didn't work out. I read reviews on this specific frameset with only good things about quality, stiffness, being quite fast. The latest from Dengfu is send the defective frame to another customer in the USA that has ordered an FM087 (and they also think shipping a bike will cost only $30 instead of the actual $91.72 I was quoted by USPS) or close the dispute with my credit card company and I will get immediate refund. Sounds really shady either way.

And it's probably not realistic to have the bike broken down, packed, and ready to ship by this time frame with the work load the bike shop is currently under.

I would much prefer they just want the frameset shipped back to them for proper inspection, but I'm sure they know shipping from the USA to China is very expensive. And there's no way I'm going to pay for that. Also that is just bad business ethics to pass on a defective frameset to a fellow customer who is just going to have the same problem I had.

"Our customer in USA must receive our frameset no later than 9th. Generally speaking, it just needs one day to receive if you are both in USA. That's the reason why I ask you to send it no later than 8th.

If you can't do everything before this time, we must go ahead on Paypal. If that, we will provide all evidence to prove there is no problem of our frame and let Paypal to judge it. In the end, you would not get refund or get refund still need send frameset. But it will take long time, even more than 3 months to deal with it. So as I said we don't want to waste time. Then our boss agrees you to send it back to our customer in USA. After it, we will refund to you.

So pls speed up to send frameset back before 8th. We will send money immediately to you once we receive frameset.

Or you can close dispute on Paypal now. If that, no time limit. We can refund when we receive frameset. You can send it any time. We, as a company, you can trust us. You don't worry we will cheat you. Because if that, you can do everything to defame us or complain us. But for us, you, as a individual customer. We can't do more things if you don't do as you say. So pls understand our request.

Pls give me fast reply. Thanks."

I definitely don't think I'll be canceling the dispute I've opened with my Amex......
    Document well. Get your bike mechanic to document everything. And send it to American Express. Because this is now between your Amex and Paypal. It's on you to prove you received a defective product. Overwhelm Amex and Paypa with evidence, you'll surely get your refund. Cause as you stated, it's unsafe, prove to Amex that the product is not just defective, but unsafe to ride. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mcian View Post
    Hi guys,
    after around 6000km my frame (FM066-SL, the steerer tube says R01, weight 0.78Kg) just cracked while i was descending with about 85km/h in the 24h Nurburgring race. Although it happened in a corner and i was barely able to hold the line i was able to stop without crashing.
    If you wonder what a frame with a broken top tube feels like in a corner:
    It is like sitting on a wobbly piece of toast with big tires that are inflated to minimum. Something like that...

Of course never did i clamp the top tube nor did anything fall onto it. Of course i never crashed or let the bike fall over. I only weigh 72kg. This season i raced several crits on it and never had a problem.

After the manufacturer asked me to send the frame to China i removed all parts and i found the bottom bracket to spin within the shell. It was brand new since i upgraded to a powermeter...
    I used a torque wrench and tightened the BB to only 12Nm and marked the BB and frame with a white Edding to see if it would move. I've heard from three people so far that they've experienced the same problem.

Since the frame is only around 10 months old i got an exchange frame. But of course only the frame, seatpost and fork must be ordered seperately and payed for. Since i did not want to have the same frame again i got an upgrade to another frame which costs around 150$ more. In this case i had to pay another 130$ for the fork and seapost.
    Shipping is included but i will have to pay again 20% tax. Hopefully they will let the frame through the customs with a low price like this.

Regarding my broken 50$ BB and the 250$ i spend on the 24h race in total i did not get any reply. The hours for wrenching everything off the bike and on again is not payed for by anyone.

My conclusion:
    My calculation of saving several hundreds by buying a chinese frame goes down the drain.
    I just ordered a Canyon and my spare bike will be my Caad 10 alloy bike i just pulled out of the cellar.

Attachment 320068

The company selling this frame is one of the major names everyone is talking about. I do not think the name is useful for anyone since the frame is offered by several companies.

I let everyone draw their own conclusions from this story.
    Sucks. Glad they offered to replace the frame and cost little to get you back on the bike. My conclusion? You lucked out a lot more if you went with Trek. They would have offered a crash a replacement, as you'd have to prove this wasn't just a spontaneous crack, and that they would believe you. That's the problem with Trek/Specialized, great warranty on paper, get them to honor the warranty is the problem. My other conclusion, that's the risk of anything mass manufactured. If my AKG K712 headphones break, my conclusion isn't going to be all AKG headphones suck. It sucks when things break on us, but that's the risk we take for the modern efficient, and cheap mass manufacturing. How many people do I know with defective iPhones? Nearly everyone I know who has owned iPhones has had problems with them breaking, and Apple support being, buy a new one. Yet people keep buying them. You come to your own conclusion.

Importantly, you're safe. It's up to you to decide if you continue to ride these frames, but just remember, Trek/Specialized etc don't make frames. And even companies like Giant and Merida don't make all of them, they do outsource to factories in China. So you're screwed if you don't trust Chinese manufacturing.
    Last edited by ruckus; 08-22-2017 at 07:12 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Hi all,

Has anybody had experience with Tideace forks? I like my teeth and would like to know if these have a bad reputation or not. Link is below.

Full Carbon Fiber Fork 1 1/2 Tapered Forks 700C Ultralight Road Bike Front Fork | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    seems awfully quiet here after the post above shwoing the cracked FM-066SL. AFAIK these frames have a very bad reputation for cracking.. check out the FM066 review in youtube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 504yaj View Post
    seems awfully quiet here after the post above shwoing the cracked FM-066SL. AFAIK these frames have a very bad reputation for cracking.. check out the FM066 review in youtube
    I'm surprised there are not more posts like that!! The fact there are not many people posting JRA broken frames probably says they are relatively OK frames.

I'll admit I am still nervous about mine and I am looking at a carbon gravel bike which will make me even more nervous given the terrain, but the bike feels as solid as any other bike I've ridden.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    I'm surprised there are not more posts like that!! The fact there are not many people posting JRA broken frames probably says they are relatively OK frames.

I'll admit I am still nervous about mine and I am looking at a carbon gravel bike which will make me even more nervous given the terrain, but the bike feels as solid as any other bike I've ridden.
    I'd probably stick with open mold frames with generally good reviews in forums like this. It took me a year before I decided to order my frame (R022 from velobuild). Its been 2 years since and the thing just wont break everytime I take it for a ride (i weigh 250lbs+)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Hey all-

I am looking for advice. I wish to find a aero carbon road frame with BB30.

I like the VBR-0-99 but the BB is wrong. I would love to find something with brakes like aforementioned frame but with regular QR and BB30 from someone reliable.

Suggestions?

Jay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

HQR01 frame

Finally got my HQR01 built up. I got some stickers off Marco in Brazil

Stickers Design

then 2K'd the frame with matt clearcoat. I'm not totally happy with the paint job... frames are difficult to spray and I'm not sure matt clearcoat is that easy to work with.

Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0-hqr01.jpg

I've ridden the bike about 250km, not really enough to tell you about the reliability. The build with Campag Potenza was easy including fitting the headset and bottom bracket (a bb386 Ultratorque). The tolerances and engineering seem good. No creaks so far.

The bike is pretty much identical to my Deng-Fu FM028 in terms of geometry although looks different. It feels stiffer though, particularly around the BB. Overall weight built is 8kg including pedals, bottle cage... clear coat paint :-)

Handling feels good. No surprises up to 80 kph. I'm running the el-cheapo Wiggle Prime Peleton wheelset which don't come that true but with an hour of fettling with a spoke key are not that bad.

I have done one longer ride, a big loop over the Col du Noyer in the Hautes-Alpes.

Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0-hqr01b.jpg

I will report back around the 1000km mark if people are interested.

HQR01-Carbon road bike frame

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Two easy ways to tell whether someone is full of it:

1) they claim their bikes are "handmade", implying that others aren't.

2) they claim one process is labor intensive, implying that another isn't.

Biased article is biased.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    Two easy ways to tell whether someone is full of it:

1) they claim their bikes are "handmade", implying that others aren't.

2) they claim one process is labor intensive, implying that another isn't.

Biased article is biased.
    I don't think you read it. First of all, it's an interview. Of course someone who is being interviewed is biased. That is the point of an interview. To understand someone's bias or point of view.

The word "handmade" does not appear anywhere.

Here's where Leo Kokkonen talks about labor intensive: "Carbon fiber frame manufacturing is labor intensive work. We learned that there’s no way of automating the carbon fiber process."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    If you think that's an actual interview, then your standards for journalism integrity have been compromised - I respect November bicycles way more for being honest about the reasons for their not using carbon in their products.

Aluminum was the new steel, carbon the new aluminum, then it was back to steel, and now back to aluminum. Since innovation in cycling is mostly limited to marketing, I would also add 'yawn'.

BTW someone tell the 'interviewee' and 'interviewer' to stop using whatever electronic devices they're using to browse and push content to the Internet, and only stick with fully recyclable, ethically made, iPhone and iMac replacements, which my friend is conveniently selling for €10,000 a piece.

It's no small price, but if it makes someone feel better about their consumerism, it's worth it right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    If you think that's an actual interview, then your standards for journalism integrity have been compromised - I respect November bicycles way more for being honest about the reasons for their not using carbon in their products.

Aluminum was the new steel, carbon the new aluminum, then it was back to steel, and now back to aluminum. Since innovation in cycling is mostly limited to marketing, I would also add 'yawn'.

BTW someone tell the 'interviewee' and 'interviewer' to stop using whatever electronic devices they're using to browse and push content to the Internet, and only stick with fully recyclable, ethically made, iPhone and iMac replacements, which my friend is conveniently selling for €10,000 a piece.

It's no small price, but if it makes someone feel better about their consumerism, it's worth it right?
    what are you talking about?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a carbon road frame with discs, which I'd like to mate to 105 groupset and hydraulic discs, I suppose flat mount shimanos, but I'm not 100% sure if there's any other good standard of hydraulic discs now.

Curious if anyone has any opinions on this frame: Seraph TT-X10 (by Tan Tan Cycling).

I see a lot of you seem to buy from Velobuild, and found a frame but their pages lack some info like, what kind of calipers fit on it (looking at their VB-R-057 frame), I guess I can ask them, but it seems like a natural thing to document. Oh well.

I'm looking at name brand bikes too, but, this is going to sound dumb, their colors are atrocious, I just can't spend $2-3k on a bike that I hate the looks of, in the narrow set of models that have the options I want in the general price point I want. On top of that, the chance of finding one at a LBS is even lower, so yeah, it's a case of I want to give someone money, and I'm finding it hard to do so

Thanks in advance for any advice on the above frames!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aeonic View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a carbon road frame with discs, which I'd like to mate to 105 groupset and hydraulic discs, I suppose flat mount shimanos, but I'm not 100% sure if there's any other good standard of hydraulic discs now.

Curious if anyone has any opinions on this frame: Seraph TT-X10 (by Tan Tan Cycling).

I see a lot of you seem to buy from Velobuild, and found a frame but their pages lack some info like, what kind of calipers fit on it (looking at their VB-R-057 frame), I guess I can ask them, but it seems like a natural thing to document. Oh well.

I'm looking at name brand bikes too, but, this is going to sound dumb, their colors are atrocious, I just can't spend $2-3k on a bike that I hate the looks of, in the narrow set of models that have the options I want in the general price point I want. On top of that, the chance of finding one at a LBS is even lower, so yeah, it's a case of I want to give someone money, and I'm finding it hard to do so

Thanks in advance for any advice on the above frames!
    I have not used any of them. But I know that TanTan is manufactured by Fly Bike, which is a big Chinese manufacturer producing frames for many brands. I have looked at TanTan road bikes myself.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Looks like they carry most fo the same frames that most of the big-name Chinese CF frame vendors carry ... probably, because, as aske notes, they all buy from Fly Bikes.

I am bookmarking their page for future research .... I have a pair of Chinese CF frames and might want another in the future.

I have not heard many good things about Velobuild lately .... everyone I know who has had satisfaction has gone directly to one of the vendors with long histories (Hongfu, Dengfu, Workswell ... Flyxii, and now, Tan Tan I guess) or found something on Ebay where again, it is best to find vendors who have long histories.

I just got some Shimano 105 post-mounts--I haven't heard of any other brand that was significantly better. I also haven't installed them yet. We shall see.

As for the overall ... buying a Chinabomb (a Chinese CF frame which people Used to claim would "asplode" and kill everyone within a block) and a 105 group from one of the UK vendors, $400 for wheels and for $1600-$1800 you can have an 18-lb bike painted to order, built with the parts you want ....

Not always a better deal financially (you can find some excellent deals on built-up bikes if you are patient) but you will have the bike You want, for the same money as buying a bike Someone Else wants you to want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    Looks like they carry most fo the same frames that most of the big-name Chinese CF frame
    As for the overall ... buying a Chinabomb (a Chinese CF frame which people Used to claim would "asplode" and kill everyone within a block) and a 105 group from one of the UK vendors, $400 for wheels and for $1600-$1800 you can have an 18-lb bike painted to order, built with the parts you want ....

Not always a better deal financially (you can find some excellent deals on built-up bikes if you are patient) but you will have the bike You want, for the same money as buying a bike Someone Else wants you to want.
    You generally get MUCH better wheels when custom ordering, then whats on a production bike. Especially at the $1200 price point for a carbon with 105.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Recently decided to replace my beat 2013 supersix evo, sram red 10 speed. Looking at chinese carbon stuff and the info is mixed, even on here.

I have bought 2 chinese wheelsets ( carbonspeedcycle) and they were perfectly fine with great service, making big name retailers seem like a total joke in comparison. All my further dealings with chinese manufacturers have been fast, cheap and easy. So there's that.

I've been looking at this frame: VB-R-077 carbon fiber road frame for etap

Anyone have info on this?
    How does this one compare to a supersix evo hi-mod frame?
    Anyone know any good ultra light climbing chinese frames?

All the info I can find keeps leading me to the same 2-3 chinese frames for climbing which seem comparable to my supersix. I can buy that bike used with sram red for under 2k, so I'm trying to see if it's worth it at all to build a bike from one of these chinese frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Chinese frames? Emonda like in weight and Domane like in Geometry.

Looking for recommendations on reputable Chinese carbon frames for a road bike building project.

Ideal frame would be less than 800-900g (non disk) with a geometry that leans more to the relaxed-sportive end of the spectrum than aggressive aero/racing. Think Emonda in weight and Domane like geometry.

Any suggestions of frames to consider much appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Workswell 093. (WCB-R-093 Normal V brake-workswellbikes) Tall head tube should facilitate an upright riding position.

The Ultralight version is a little pricey but the regular version ought to come in around $500-$600 and weigh about 900 grams for a 58-cm frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Dengfu FM029A UV damage. The white on the forks has turned a nasty yellow. Anyone know what can be used to paint over polyester paint?Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0-img_1550.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BassLake View Post
    Dengfu FM029A UV damage. The white on the forks has turned a nasty yellow. Anyone know what can be used to paint over polyester paint?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1550.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	320938
    Can't help you with paint advice, but that sucks! When is it from?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aske View Post
    Can't help you with paint advice, but that sucks! When is it from?

This is the end of its second season with 20k on the ODO. The yellowing started almost immediately. I emailed Dengfu and for some reason they have no idea what paint I could use to recoat the forks. Below is a picture when it was new.Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0-img_1355.jpg
    Last edited by BassLake; 11-01-2017 at 06:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Personally, I would use car paint (available at auto parts store). White is easy to find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Looks like I'm making a trip to my local Canadian Tire for some supplies.

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 41424344 LastLast