Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0

782K views 1K replies 288 participants last post by  rebayona 
#1 ·
Time to roll out a new thread, as 6.0 is getting a bit unwieldy. Remember please, no counterfeits.

#2 ·
Got my tracking No from Seki at Ican, Really excited about building my Aero004 (FM206) up with the 5800 105 Group set i got for £298 which i thought was pretty good!!!!
once its hear ill put up lots of pics of the build, Im planing to use it on the London 2 Paris 24 in July.

#3 ·
Not sure if I should make an entirely new thread for this question or not, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but here goes:

I'm looking for a non-branded/Chinese TT frame that I'll be building with a Chorus mechanical group... Not super picky as far as looks/aero features or price, just something generally time trialish. Here's the tricky part, I would need at a minimum a size 58.

If anyone knows a few sellers to direct me to it would be hugely appreciated. The bit of browsing I did on eBay didn't have anything my size.

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
Ha well the R-002 (R-022) I received is pretty useless to me. Zhongwei sent it with out installing the front derailleur hanger. The frame hasnt even been drilled for the hanger. Pretty surprised, my last frame I received from them is pretty awesome. Now I will be interested to see how they handle this.

#5 ·
Just wondering if anyone has seen this with the carbon chinese bars. I have had good luck with a few sets but this last pair I got I am kind of annoyed by. I was mounting the stem on the bars with a Ritchey 5Nm torque wrench and carbon paste while I noticed this on the back side of the bars.....

I took a needle and it poked the spot to find its only the clear coat that bubbled so I sanded the spot and put on a coating of clear coat nail polish. It looks normal now and nothing seems to be cracked. Did the coin test and sounds strong. No sounds came from the bars other then the grit making its normal sound from the carbon paste.

Im just not sure what to make of it. Its not directly on a spot that is clamped but there was definitely a raise in the clear coat or bubble. I guess the question is do I ride with them or toss them.... I stopped by my friends shop and he said it was an air bubble as well but he only got to see it after I sanded and re coated it. Other then the pictures I showed in the thread that I sent via text.

#8 ·
Trying to gleam some knowledge from others who have more experience with this than I do. I got a chinese CX frame, and after sawing down the steerer tube, I noticed that the inside of the tube isn't the same material as the outside. I suspect that this is fiberglass. Am I in significant danger of breaking my face with this fork?

#9 ·
That looks normal, the inside of any carbon fiber is going to look gross and nasty looking. If you cut a frame in half you would see the inside doesnt look anything like what we picture carbon to be. Cheaper carbon is more resin then fiber and it can be a bit more flexible under some conditions but that steer tube looks fine and thick!

#10 ·
Hi All,

Lots of information in this thread(s)! I am considering building a Chinese carbon fiber road bike. I have a Domane 2.3 that I ride quite a bit and I would like something a little snappier on the road. I built a Dengfu FM190 Fatbike (25.5 lbs!) that I am incredibly happy with. I was just curious if there is a cross reference sheet out there on what frame models correspond to their name brand frames, for example the FM098 looks a lot like a Venge! Im not certain which model I want to go with yet, 6'4" 180lbs, I ride a 60CM Domane, all my mountain bikes are XLs or 21".

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Here is the FM190!
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

#58 ·
Hi All,

Lots of information in this thread(s)! I am considering building a Chinese carbon fiber road bike. I have a Domane 2.3 that I ride quite a bit and I would like something a little snappier on the road. I built a Dengfu FM190 Fatbike (25.5 lbs!) that I am incredibly happy with. I was just curious if there is a cross reference sheet out there on what frame models correspond to their name brand frames, for example the FM098 looks a lot like a Venge! Im not certain which model I want to go with yet, 6'4" 180lbs, I ride a 60CM Domane, all my mountain bikes are XLs or 21".

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Here is the FM190!
View attachment 305490
Here's my R-041, not sold anymore on Velobuildmall, It's a Schmenge. The FM-098 is an excellent choice.

#12 ·
Thats not aluminum at all, cut it in half and you will see. There is always dust and gray powder left over from resin and carbon. Steer tubes are thick as heck so there is many layers of both used. I still say its fine but if he is unsure Id stop by a local bike shop and ask what they think of it.

#17 ·
Eek, if 1/3 of the tube thickness (not the inner wall surface) is flash resin from poor prep that's pretty scary. As that's definitely not carbon mat. I'd actually hope it's fiberglass over resin.

Ooity: Unfortunately unless you're going to give more info per the manufacturer/seller to see others have done you're a test group of 1.

#13 ·
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've asked anything on here, but I have a question. Does anyone know of a manufacturer and frame number (i.e. FM***, R***, etc) for a frame the same or very similar to the new Trek Madone 7 series? This being the aero frame/forks with KVF tube shape.
Thanks in advance.

#16 ·
Hey All,

I'm new to RBR, but I've spent the last few weeks reading posts from version 4,5,6. There is a lot of great info, but it seems like the majority of the info I'm interested in is over a year old.

Background: I ride a 58cm 2012 CAAD10. Initially bought the 105 version, but I have been upgrading components as I go. I train hard, and like to race. I prefer the sprints and breakaways instead of the mountains and despise bringing my bike to the bike shop... It always comes back worse then when I dropped it off, so I do all my own wrenching.

I just finished building my 45mm U-Shaped wheelset and I love them... They ride great, and feel faster than my stock aluminum wheels.

At this point I'm ready to leave my CAAD10 attached to the turbo and I'm looking at building my first (of many hopefully) Chinese OE bikes.

I'm pretty sure that I've decided on the "Venge" style frame *SHOCK* (It seems to be one of the most common builds on here), but I was hoping to pull from the vast wisdom on RBR to help me finish this project.

So first things first, what does the collective wisdom say about supplier quality? I'm looking at GreatKeen's GKRF01 (with graphics removed) or Dengfu's FM098. Does anyone have feedback regarding issues with the frame or issues working with the suppliers? Is there another supplier that you all would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

#20 ·
Hey All,
I'm pretty sure that I've decided on the "Venge" style frame *SHOCK* (It seems to be one of the most common builds on here), but I was hoping to pull from the vast wisdom on RBR to help me finish this project.

So first things first, what does the collective wisdom say about supplier quality? I'm looking at GreatKeen's GKRF01 (with graphics removed) or Dengfu's FM098. Does anyone have feedback regarding issues with the frame or issues working with the suppliers? Is there another supplier that you all would recommend?
I got an FM098 last spring and its been great for me. No real issues working with DengFu. A bit of a language barrier and double/triple checking details of the frame build lead to a fairly lengthy email exchange, but when it was all said and done I got exactly what I wanted.
5,500 miles later and its still treating me quite well. The stiffness and power transfer were greatly improved from my last bike (cheapo Bikes Direct). I was so pleased with the product that I went back to DengFu for some 56mm deep wheels to complete the aero get-up.

#19 ·
Thought I'd share my experience building up my own carbon bike since I used the previous threads extensively while researching my own build.

I started researching around the new year and with the spring and summer rolling around pulled the trigger on everything about 4 weeks ago. Went with the Velobuild r-022 frame as velobuild got great reviews, this was a popular frame, and fit what i was looking for not being a direct copy of a branded bike and as a plus happened to be one of the least expensive at $450 shipped. Got 38mm U clinchers from farsports as they were also a highly regarded retailer and seemed worth the extra price at $650. Finally got a SRAM Force 22 groupset from Merlin Cycles for about $700 shipped. Other parts were from ebay to finish the build, including a chinese version 3t aeronova bar. Total cost was about $2250 so under my hopeful budget of $2500 and weighed in under 15 pounds. I ran into no issue with any of the retailers and everything was delivered on time if not early and didnt have to pay any import fees. Luckily a friend of mine had everything built at the LBS for free.

Took it out for my first few rides this week and could not be happier. The bike is incredibly stiff, but not uncomfortably so, and handles like a rocket. I previously had a Kestrel Talon (which may have been a size too big?) and it absolutely handles more nimbly, climbs better, and descends just as well. Flat straights may be about even or in the kestrels favor, but overall can say this was certainly an upgrade and will be more fun as well as unique. I've already had someone come up to me in the cafe after my ride the other day and ask me about it.

Long story short I highly recommend going the chinese carbon route for those looking for a unique, light, and high performance bike on a budget. I cant comment on durability and obviously only time will tell about that.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

#21 ·
RVA and RaptorTC, do you know how the cross section of the R022 and FM098 compare with the Venge? I think I read somewhere that the FM098 had s much smaller cross section ( different aero profile ).

Also, what website did you use for velobuild? The website I've been looking at does not seem to have the extensive forum that these threads have mentioned.

#37 ·
All replicas are crappy quality, maybe you find some good, but generelly they don't pass almost any QC while reliable sellers all have QC. If you are lucky you get a decent frameset also as replica, but relying on luck when you are descending 80 kmh is stupid if you ask me.
P.S. Show me one which succesfully managed to claim replica frameset or wheelset or any other part? ...This process with chinese sellers of replica frames is like :mad2:

#38 ·
So you are saying that all of them are bad? all chinese carbon is rubbish? i have som chineese carbon light bicycle rims that i use on my nomad, guess what after a year of trashing them, oh no damage. yes i could of paid 800 GBP per rim for enves and got the same result but i was happier paying 188 usd each.
Are you talking from actual experience?
As ive seen from the many forums there are more positives than negatives.
yes all are fully aware that the difference between a branded frame, made in china too probably, will or should have a much more stringent QC but i have witnessed these high cost branded frames break, crack too. Biking at high speeds is inherently dangerous no matter who makes tour frame.

#44 ·
Hi, I have seen people interested to buy the HongFu FM296 carbon frame. I have found that Miracle have also the same Fame MC296, and they specify T800 carbon and lower weight. I am believe that HongFU have the T700 and the t800 version available also and I am waiting for a price to compare.

Anyone, have order yet. I have ride the FM-069 frame on a short distance on a short distance and the steering is very fast, and the frame is very efficient but could be a bit more absorbing for long distance ride. Of course, my friend is heavier than me and is probably very happy. HongFu sells this frame as T1000 carbon, and DengFu have the same but specify T800 carbon.

Anyone a assemble and ride a FM296 or MC296 and can give us feed back on the ride quality ?

#45 ·
i have been waiting since octobre last year for a new frame from Jerry

Jerry at Greatkeen is a joke, also Leanne one of his sellers:mad: ive been waiting since October last year.

He basically said most people buy a new frame if the first one breaks withing the 2 years and i sell them it for half price WTF so why have a warranty then ???

anyway have a look at this and if you do manage to get intouch ask him wheres my replacement frame :).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GreatKeen-Bikes-No-Warranty-Beware/603718279764682

now a happy caad10 rider :)

#46 ·
Jerry at Greatkeen is a joke, also Leanne one of his sellers:mad: ive been waiting since October last year.

He basically said most people buy a new frame if the first one breaks withing the 2 years and i sell them it for half price WTF so why have a warranty then ???

anyway have a look at this and if you do manage to get intouch ask him wheres my replacement frame :).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GreatKeen-Bikes-No-Warranty-Beware/603718279764682

now a happy caad10 rider :)
Thank you Yeti. How was the quality originally?

Also, the greatkeen website now requires a password. My spidy senses are telling me to stay away.

#48 ·
Everyone will have different experiences with different sellers. I suspect most of the Aliexpress sellers get their stock from the same wholesalers, it's just how much they try to charge.

I purchased a Pinarello Dogma from greatkeen when Cavendish rode for Sky in his WRC colours. Never had any issues, maybe a little over spray in the BB threads but thats common, even chucked it down the road in a spill on diesel at 20mph+ and all good....arse not so!!!

I purchased an F8 frame from a seller on Aliexpress, really happy with it but had an issue with a cable stop on the frame, the seller would not respond to any emails, was more than willing to pay for the part as the bike was no use without, eventually gave up, spoke to Jerry and and they provided the part i needed for £3, so after care on someone elses product, they get a thumbs up from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.