Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Chinese Titanium Frames

Has anybody have any experiance buying chinese made ti frames? If you do, what's the ride quality, finish quality and durability?

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are a few extensive threads if you do a search under XACD.

I ride a chinese made ti frame, by way of Singapore and love it. Not made by XACD from what I understand though. The quality and ride are top notch as far as I am concerned. Never ridden a boutique ti frame, so not sure how much I really have to compare it to, but it works for me.

banned
    Dec 2009
    Pretty interested in this, where can I find info on the ti models and pricing??

Get me to In&Out
    Look at Habanero cycles too. They are chinese made and offer a decent warranty too.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Google is your friend: http://www.xacd.com.cn/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Many Ti frames that don't say "made in USA" are Chinese. That includeds the Salsa Ti, Pedalforce carbon/ti bike, Airborne, Habenero and whatever you see on Ebay.

banned
    Dec 2009
    Anyone know tHe prices and geo of the ti road frames?

Edit: the prices they gave me
    Frame $495
    Shipping $155
    Bank fee $40

Total $690

They also said they can do custom geo ti for 535.

I'm thinking of doing the custom and copying the caad10 geo since i already have a relaxed geo carbon frame
    Last edited by LOUISSSSS; 01-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Hello,

First time poster. Saw this thread and thought I might add my small bit of experience to the mix.

I'd been looking at Chinese carbon for a while, but had always been interested in picking up a ti frame for all the usual reasons. I've been intrigued by XACD, but unsure about specifying every detail of the frame.

I actually found a new, Chinese-made 57cm ti frame on ebay - sold by a guy in the US who is trying to start up his own brand of ti and carbon frames. He told me it's not made by XACD, but wouldn't tell me who made it specifically. This was his last road frame he was trying to sell off before ordering a new batch, so he priced it really low. I ended up buying the frame for $361 shipped - very few people bid on it; probably because the brand was completely unknown (no website or information at all).

I then purchased a full carbon fork in matte 3k, directly from one of the oft-discussed Chinese carbon sellers which looks to be very similar to the 3T Funda. I wanted a straight-bladed fork, and this one fit the bill.

I've received both items. Actual frame weight is 1475g or 3.25 lb (seller claimed 3.03 lbs). Actual fork weight is 375 g, which was shockingly dead on, to the gram. I'm not too bummed about the frame weight, as I'd read everything I could on buying cycling products from China and knew I should expect some discrepancy in weight. I was told the frame used some double-butted tubes, but given the weight I find that very unlikely. Ultimately, I'm using this frame for recreational riding and a few triathlons, so a little bit of extra weight isn't too much of a concern for me.

I'll be building the bike up at the end of January with full Ultegra 6700 and a basic aluminum cockpit.

I'm attaching some pictures of the frame and fork. The welds look clean to me, but I have a completely untrained eye, so I can't speak to the quality. Anybody care to weigh in?

Some notes: 57cm frame, Effective Top Tube is about 565 cm. Integrated headset, standard English BB.

A few notes:

- I'm intrigued by the s-bend seat and chainstays - curious to see how they affect the ride. Almost look like mountain bike stays. Most high-end ti frames I've seen have straight stays.

- Aesthetically, I'm not a huge fan of the flared headtube. Interesting design choice on this frame... I assume it's more expensive to use this type instead of a standard, straight tube. I actually didn't realize it looked like that until I received the frame.

- The dropouts look nice.

Apologies for the length of this post. I'm excited to see how this frame works out. I'd love to build up a high-end ti frame at some point, but, funds as they are, I hope this one works out for while.

yellow is mellow
    Nov 2001
    I wish I had that much luck on ebay.

But there's another importer on ebay selling Predator brand bikes for $730 total. Any feedback?? Apparently reviving the GT triple triangle.
    The nail that sticks out gets hammered down

Bike Ninja
    good luck with warranty issues on that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ekgregory

Is there enough metal around the dropout to support the end of the quick release? Those cutouts look like they cut inside the diameter of the QR ends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Fair question - I hope it's not an issue. I'll toss on the rear wheel this evening and see how it looks in the dropout.

Re: warranty issues, when I bought the frame and fork I understood the risks associated with purchasing small brand / no name products. To me, the cost was low enough that I felt it was worth taking a chance on them, just as everyone that's purchased carbon frames from China has done.

That being said, the frame was purchased from the US retailer of the brand, so I'd hope that I would be supported as a customer should an issue arise. Hopefully, I won't have any problems to deal with when all is said an done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Fair question - I hope it's not an issue. I'll toss on the rear wheel this evening and see how it looks in the dropout.

Re: warranty issues, when I bought the frame and fork I understood the risks associated with purchasing small brand / no name products. To me, the cost was low enough that I felt it was worth taking a chance on them, just as everyone that's purchased carbon frames from China has done.

That being said, the frame was purchased from the US retailer of the brand, so I'd hope that I would be supported as a customer should an issue arise. Hopefully, I won't have any problems to deal with when all is said an done.
    Further thoughts:

Your headtube looks bigger on the bottom than top. Is it intended for the newer tapered forks 1 1/4" bottom, 1 1/8" top?

Curved stays aren't uncommon. Seven does that, for instance. And my old Litespeed MTB has them, too.

Who cares about a warranty at half the price!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If a weld cracks, a decent shop local can fix it for less than the cost of shipping the bike to the retailer for warranty work....and its done the same day. At that price, I wouldn't care about warranty either. The welds look pretty good too...far better than some of the custom US shops I've seen in here.
    If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    That's good to know about the possibility of having a weld repaired locally - I'll definitely keep that in mind.

The headtube is actually 1 1/8" top and bottom - it definitely looks tapered because of that flare. The seller couldn't tell me the exact headset spec (which was a bit disconcerting) but I took it to my shop and had them measure the frame to get the right specs.

I also couldn't get an answer on what the fork rake should be. I assumed 43mm, and the fork I got is 45mm - I'm hoping a 2mm difference in rake will have a very small effect on the handling.

I still think the headtube flare is pretty crazy looking... I prefer a straight tube I guess. Haven't seen many frames with that style.

I didn't realize Seven did curved stays either. It's interesting... This frame definitely doesn't look like the XACD frames I've seen online, and it doesn't look like any of the cheaper Ti frames being sold on ebay, etc. Still a bit curious about its origins.

I'm glad you think the welds look good - they looked pretty nice to me as well, but I'm not an expert.

If people are interested, I can post some pics of the build - should be done over the next couple of weeks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    What's the seller's name on flea bay?

That's good to know about the possibility of having a weld repaired locally - I'll definitely keep that in mind.

The headtube is actually 1 1/8" top and bottom - it definitely looks tapered because of that flare. The seller couldn't tell me the exact headset spec (which was a bit disconcerting) but I took it to my shop and had them measure the frame to get the right specs.

I also couldn't get an answer on what the fork rake should be. I assumed 43mm, and the fork I got is 45mm - I'm hoping a 2mm difference in rake will have a very small effect on the handling.

I still think the headtube flare is pretty crazy looking... I prefer a straight tube I guess. Haven't seen many frames with that style.

I didn't realize Seven did curved stays either. It's interesting... This frame definitely doesn't look like the XACD frames I've seen online, and it doesn't look like any of the cheaper Ti frames being sold on ebay, etc. Still a bit curious about its origins.

I'm glad you think the welds look good - they looked pretty nice to me as well, but I'm not an expert.

If people are interested, I can post some pics of the build - should be done over the next couple of weeks.

Bike Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoRoadie
    If a weld cracks, a decent shop local can fix it for less than the cost of shipping the bike to the retailer for warranty work....and its done the same day. At that price, I wouldn't care about warranty either. The welds look pretty good too...far better than some of the custom US shops I've seen in here.
    Over $600 for a frame and you don't care about the warranty? That doesn't make any sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentAssassin
    Over $600 for a frame and you don't care about the warranty? That doesn't make any sense.
    Neither does the number $600. I read $362.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Yup, $361, not $600.

And I didn't say I don't care about the warranty. I do. I took a risk purchasing from a brand I didn't know much about. It was a calculated risk, and, as I said before, given the cost of the frame, I felt it was totally worth it. Besides that, the seller does offer a warranty, and is based in the US.

I always factor warranties into my purchasing habits, but that doesn't mean I purchase products expecting them to fail. I've had quite a few instances where warranties haven't helped me out at all when a product I've purchased has broken - such is life.

ColoRoadie has a fair point about getting the frame repaired locally in the event I have a problem - makes sense to me. I'll definitely keep it in mind once I'm riding the frame.

Didn't get a chance to pop the rear wheel in to check out the dropout this evening, but I'll do it this weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    You might be better off running the rear cable on the right of the seat tube and crossing over behind the seat stays. It will probably be more direct and look better.

Otherwise, nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Built!

After a brief delay, the bike is fully built and ready to ride.

The only frame oddity I experienced while building was that the rear brake guides were welded onto the wrong side of the frame (R instead of L) for some reason, so I had to run the cable around to the right side in the rear - not a big deal.

The biggest delay was that the fork I ordered from a factory in China turned out to be a 650c, so I had to wait a month or so to receive a 700c replacement (luckily, they didn't charge me or ask me to send the fork back, they shipped me out a new one at no charge). Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with the 650c fork.

Built up with the components from my old bike - full Ultegra, Ritchey Pro aluminum cockpit, and Aksium wheels (wish I could afford something lighter, but I'll ride 'em till I wear them out).

Haven't had a chance to weight the bike yet, but I know it's 2 - 3 lbs lighter than the previous aluminum frame and heavy fork I had. Total cost was around $500 for the frame, fork, and headset.

Took it for a quick spin today, and it feels much faster than my previous frame - the geometry is much more aggressive, and it seems like the frame is much stiffer (in a good way).

This was my first real build from the ground up - it was a blast. A small part of me wonders if I should've gone carbon with an FM015/28, but I really like this frame - it's pretty unique, and I think it stands out without being too flashy. I'm very happy with my decision.

Looking forward to putting some serious miles on it over the summer.

If anyone else has any Chinese titanium builds, I'd love to see the results. Haven't seen too many out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    You might be better off running the rear cable on the right of the seat tube and crossing over behind the seat stays. It will probably be more direct and look better.

Otherwise, nice!
    Thanks! And good call - that would probably look a lot cleaner.

Get me to In&Out
    Again...the benefit of habanero is the do offer a warranty. Nice ride on the pictures btw. Very nice.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Thanks! And good call - that would probably look a lot cleaner.
    You might also look at over the top and in front of the seat tube. Probably not ideal, but I've seen it done for lesser reasons.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    Again...the benefit of habanero is the do offer a warranty. Nice ride on the pictures btw. Very nice.
    $361.

Do you really think a 5 year warranty is really worth an extra $600?
    Last edited by rx-79g; 03-27-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast