RoadBikeReview Member

Choosing a TT frameset: Cervelo P2 or BMC TT02

Hi,

Does anybody have had the chance to test one or both of these frames? Any input will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

CL

Sleep Expert
    Definitely the Cervelo. I absolutely love my BMC. The fewer people who buy them, the more special mine looks!
    On te serious side, scroll down to each respective section and ask the owners how they like them. Mine is a roadracer, so I can't be of help on the tt.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    one thing about both those frames is their relatively long head tube - for me that was a deal breaker with both those frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    one thing about both those frames is their relatively long head tube - for me that was a deal breaker with both those frames.
    can you explain in more details please? bout the feel of it, the ride, the pros and cons etc. thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Re the head tube length, it depends on how you want to position yourself and whether it's intended as a time trial bike or longer distance tri bike. If you want to get really low the P2 would be tough - it has a longer head tube than the P3 ((in size 58 HT is160, P3 is 145) and so puts you more upright (a more comfortable position for longer distance triathlons). The TT02 has a HT of 153 (in size L for comparison to the P3), so a bit shorter than the P2 but longer than the P3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi again,

Thanks for the comments. Let's put things this way: I have a limited budget and I can buy the BMC almost new at half the price list. On the orther hand, Cervelo P2 is almost $ 2k, so there is a trade off in the components I will install, especially the handlebar and the wheels.

In other words, if I buy the Cervelo I will have to choose an aluminum handlebar and use my Boras (50 mm rim height). On the other hand, if I buy the BMC I can install probably a Zipp carbon TT handlebar and probably a 808 wheelset.

Option 1:
    - Cervelo P2
    - Aluminum handlebar (Vision, Profile or whatever)
    - Campy Record 07 groupset (which I already have with me)
    - Campy Bora Ultra 08 wheelset (I also have this)

Option 2:
    - BMC TT02
    - Carbon handlebar (Zipp or Vision Tech)
    - Campy Record 07 groupset (which I already have with me)
    - Zipp 808 wheelser

So, I think the P2 is a stiffer bike (all carbon frameset) and more aerodynamic than the BMC TT02, but once completed, will the difference in handlebar and wheels make the difference to level the scale?. Which do you prefer?

Thanks!!

RoadBikeReview Member

better get a fit

Let me just say that buying and getting a TT bike to fit properly is a bit more involved than a road bike. My suggestion is to ride each and see which fits bettter. Buying a bike that doesn't fit at a cheaper price is a wast of your $$.

Michael