Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Well I ran into a bit of a pickle with the build. The frame shipped is a late 2016 model from what the guys at WS and I can come up with. WS starts the build and discovers the headset is 42mm not 44mm. WS contacts Cinelli and they confirm and offer a very minimal discount on the frame. The new frame is in production and wont be available until mid to late March. The revisions are as follows (44mm head tube, revised cable-stops & dropout) The head tube has been made a little wider and the cable stops are now back on the down tube, that is not a big deal to me. The dropouts are what I think is more important. The older frame has a removable derailleur hanger and the new one has a permanent redesign hanger with the Cinelli logo. It looks awesome, I think I am going to wait for the new model? The pickle is the hanger get the removable hanger that is safe and easily replaceable or get the permanent hanger that can easily be bent back to true.

See pics below..

Cinelli or Barco XCR build help....-thumbnail-1-.jpgCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-thumbnail.jpgCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-624-thickbox_default.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara9261 View Post
    See pics below..
    I am looking at the welds at the steering tube.
    Do you really want that? At this price?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I saw the same thing, I have looked at this frame for quite some time. Itís the first one with poor quality welds. I sent it back and will patiently wait for the 2018.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    44mm headtube? It's gonna look outta whack with the rest of the bike for sure. It'll make the bike look like a cyclocross. It's ok for carbon frames to have 44mm head tube because most carbon frames also have wide top and down tube. But for a classic steel, I'll stick with the traditional 1 1/8. I have a friend who has a 44mm on his otherwise traditional steel, looks grotesque IMO. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As for the welds, I think XCR welds all look pretty much like that, unless they braze it (like Casati). But other XCR frames from other makes have similar weld characteristic.

Well this makes me even happier that I got mine in 1 1/8
    But to be honest, if i were to do it all over, I think I'd would go with Barco. I've seen some Barco XCR from a couple folks in Taiwan and I wish Cinelli would give the same options in paint schemes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Here are two pictures from Barco XCR welds. They build for Cinelli, I am waiting for the 2018 with much nicer drop outs.Cinelli or Barco XCR build help....-26952429_579525715724223_3045084749673514654_o.jpgCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-26962151_579525962390865_4865365418075176967_o.jpg
    Last edited by Lara9261; 02-07-2018 at 04:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Here is another picture from a 2018 Barco, painted with 44 head tube. Really nice build.Cinelli or Barco XCR build help....-barco.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Well here I am 6 months later and finally I have a 2018 Cinelli XCR full polish. I am glad I waited a LONG, LONG time for this. The 44mm head tube looks great, the welds look even better and the hanger and dropouts are stunning! It a small frame 52/48mm and is weighing 16.6 lbs. with the new Dura Ace pedals. First ride impression is that it absorbs the road buzz better than my 2014 Fuji Altamira 2.1, now is it 5k better than the Fuji, dont think so. The shine in the sun is simply amazing. I will need to include a felt rag on my rides, it is a fingerprint magnet. Another preliminary impression is that it does not take much effort to bring up to cruising speed and it is very easy to maintain. Much more observations to follow in the near future as I put more miles on it. Here are some pics from the first ride.Cinelli or Barco XCR build help....-image5.jpegCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-image7.jpegCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-image2.jpegCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-image3.jpegCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-image1.jpegCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-image6.jpegCinelli or Barco XCR build help....-image4.jpeg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara9261 View Post
    Well here I am 6 months later and finally I have a 2018 Cinelli XCR full polish. I am glad I waited a LONG, LONG time for this. The 44mm head tube looks great, the welds look even better and the hanger and dropouts are stunning! It a small frame 52/48mm and is weighing 16.6 lbs. with the new Dura Ace pedals. First ride impression is that it absorbs the road buzz better than my 2014 Fuji Altamira 2.1, now is it 5k better than the Fuji, dont think so. The shine in the sun is simply amazing. I will need to include a felt rag on my rides, it is a fingerprint magnet. Another preliminary impression is that it does not take much effort to bring up to cruising speed and it is very easy to maintain. Much more observations to follow in the near future as I put more miles on it. Here are some pics from the first ride.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	322825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image7.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	322826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	322827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	322828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	322829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image6.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	322830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	322831
    very nice. I'm digging the 44mm headtube and the straight-blade fork! These options were not available when I got mine XCR a few years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Day 2 a few food climbs in and it climbs MUCH better than all my other bikes (have 6). Cant get over how elegant it is in the sun light. Having discomfort with campy record hoods, hump at clamp before hoods. Need to make a tape bridge to even transition from bars to hoods. Straight blade stealth fork is so tight and zippy. Really digging the polish and stealth look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    seems like you're pretty happy with the bike. After riding my bike for a few years, I'm inclined to say that its best characteristic is riding fast on the flat or rolling terrain where it seems to absorb the road best.

But since my bike is mainly all black, one thing I don't like is that every little scratch now seems to show up under bright sunlight! The black paint does scratch easily.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Installed chain guard and adjusted hoods, big rides soon. Small fizik clamp saddle bag and gloss black bottles, completes the build. Funny how everyone says its titanium. Explanation to chosen few.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    will be interested in hearing your review on longer rides. I have 2 XCR type bikes, the Cinelli XCR and the Casati Inox, and i'm always interested in hearing what other xcr owners have to say about their bikes. There aren't that many xcr owners out there. For sure your bike will be unique on club rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I had a 70 mile ride to the Florida Keys with the group I routinely ride with. I do this route every other month or so. The ride is 30 miles of flat non stop hammer with one medium bride to climb. The XCR feels so much more comfortable than my carbon and aluminium bikes. The carbon bikes feel like riding a sharp and super stiff razor blade. The XCR feels like the characteristics of steel but with a softer edge to the road chatter that i do not get from my other bikes. SO easy to maintain a fast cruising speed and the compliment of quality components just adds to the plush feeling I get in the pack. I ask myself now is this 5k better than my Fuji (YES).. Working on my sarcastic grin when told my bike is lighter than yours... GEEZZ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I had a training ride yesterday around a cemetery near my home. I use this to train during the week, easy 20-30 miles twice a week when possible. It is usually a mental struggle to do looser laps by myself and I am constantly looking at the Garmin to see how much distance completed. The XCR was an absolute magic carpet, the miles passed by so smooth and effortless. This is the most head to head comparison I can make with my other bikes. The route has a bumpy section a smooth 1.5 mile hammer and a few hard turns. So much easier to maintain a 20 mph speed and dam the lush feeling of road chatter being nulled is such a welcoming experience. I wish there was a way to record the road chatter with the phone to compare decibels on the same route with different bikes. I am thinking of a using a recording app on the phone to record laps around the cemetery to see if I can see a difference in vibration peaks with other frame materials. Not sure where to tape the phone to achieve this?

Here is a pic from WS post build, they butchered the weight. LMAO no way 26 lbs. its 17 with pedals, cages and Garmin mount. I think that is very reasonable for a steel road bike w/o going nutz on components. I also got another incredible remark from another rider stating "I hope that bike can respond to attacks as good as my carbon bike" Can you believe this clown. Cinelli or Barco XCR build help....-xcr.jpg

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Is this your first steel bike?

I'm lusting after a Pegoretti Marcelo, but I already have 2 nice steel bikes (Merckx Corsa 01 and a Colnago Arabesque). Is there something magic about these new stainless steel tube sets? Both my steel bikes weigh in at 20 lbs, which is just fine with me. Aside from being a bit lighter, is the ride better? I enjoyed riding the Colnago into work this morning.

That is a nice looking bike, although I prefer some paint and traditional geometry. Kudos for choosing Campy. Part of that great ride is probably attributable to those wheels. Campy makes nice wheels.

https://abovecategorycycling.com/bik...retti-marcelo/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    that's pretty much what I would describe the ride of my bike on flat or rolling terrain. It does hold speed very well and encourage the rider to keep on pedaling over pavement that is a little rough. It does mute out the chatters better than a stiff carbon bike.

My bike is size xs and it's under 17 lbs but this has a lot to do with me using 50mm tubular wheels. With clinchers the bike would be a tad heavier of course. Riding this with tubular is just pure joy, honestly the feeling of rolling on tubs and steel is just something you will not get from riding carbon.

As for respond to attacks, well this depends. Here's my take. From a dead-stop dig, where you would put in a massive amount of torque on the frame, then a stiff carbon bike does feel more responsive due to its stiffer platform. However, once you're rolling at say 20 mph, any attack at this speed the XCR will be able to respond NO PROBLEM. At this speed, it's mostly about being in the right gear and whether your legs have the power to spin it up.

now when I ordered my frame, I told the seller that I want the steering geometry to be a tad aggressive because I intend to use it in crits-like riding. Then designer from Cinelli sent me 3 iteration of his CAD design before I settled down on the 3rd design. As a result, my bike does dip into turn a tad faster than a typical road bike, and sprinting out of the saddle does take a few tries to get used to becasue the front will tend to fold underneath faster than sprinting on a typical road bike. This custome geometry cost another 300 bux extra but it's well worth it because it's a total custom geo. I don't intend to sell the bike so that was why I wanted to go custom geo. I only wish that I Cinelli would have offered the oversized taperd headtube back when I ordered mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Is this your first steel bike?

I'm lusting after a Pegoretti Marcelo, but I already have 2 nice steel bikes (Merckx Corsa 01 and a Colnago Arabesque). Is there something magic about these new stainless steel tube sets? Both my steel bikes weigh in at 20 lbs, which is just fine with me. Aside from being a bit lighter, is the ride better? I enjoyed riding the Colnago into work this morning.

That is a nice looking bike, although I prefer some paint and traditional geometry. Kudos for choosing Campy. Part of that great ride is probably attributable to those wheels. Campy makes nice wheels.

https://abovecategorycycling.com/bik...retti-marcelo/
    my old Casati Laser with Columbus SLX tubeset from the '90s weighed about 20-21 lbs. It's a nice ride. But it doesn't compare to these newer XCR- type bikes. XCR tubeset is thinner, and yet still able to be welded together, that was one of the goal of Columbus making the XCR tubeset.

In terms of weight, the OP's bike and my bike are about the same, i.e, about 17 lbs for a size S bike with top compoents. 17 lbs vs 20 lbs may not mean much when crusing on the flat. But it means something when going on fast group ride with rolling terrains and attacks. Also, the OP's bike uses an oversized heatube with a tapered straight blade fork, which means its front end should be a bit stiffer than the old traditional steel bike.

The Cinelli XCR strikes an almost perfect balance of supple of steel and responsiveness of carbon. Cinelli gets it right here. And descending on the XCR is really a joy. You just sort of tuck down and lean around curves and grin at things around you. That's how well it tracks curves. But of course this has to do with geometry of the bike and not just material.

I also have another XCR- type bike, the Casati Inox. While it rides nice, but its more relaxed geo means that it cannot rail around curves any where as good as the Cinelli XCR. But weight wise, they all are about the same.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks. I guess. 3 lbs means little to me. I have a light carbon bike. If I really worried about weight that much, I'd go on a diet,

Comparing the Casatis -- is the XCR noticably nicer than the SLX? I know SLX bikes can be pretty heavy, but aside from that ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I have another steel road bike, a Schwinn Sprint single speed using Reynolds 853 Chromo. While the Schwinn has no carbon parts it does have really good wheels. Custom Kinlins 35mm aluminum with white industry hubs and freewheel. The XCR has a significant advantage in ride quality and maintaining speed is so much easier. My Schwinn was my favorite ride quality bike, but dam the xcr is truly an incredible experience. Although it is still very early for me with the XCR, I can say I would buy it again, and I was on the fence with a Passoni as well. The new modifications to the 2018 Cinelli sealed the deal for me. Those dropouts and hanger is a real piece of craftsmanship and art.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Thanks. I guess. 3 lbs means little to me. I have a light carbon bike. If I really worried about weight that much, I'd go on a diet,

Comparing the Casatis -- is the XCR noticably nicer than the SLX? I know SLX bikes can be pretty heavy, but aside from that ...
    here's my take between the Cinelli XCR and Casati Laser (SLX). When cruising on the flat, even when crusing speed is high in the 24-25mph range, there isn't much difference in term of effort. In terms of feel, the SLX does feel heavier and flexier whenever you stop & go at stop signs, but once up to speed above 18-20 mph, they sort of feel the same. In fact, if anything, the SLX feels a little more comfy due to its higher mass and flexier frame. In my opinion, where the Cinelli XCR shines is in fast rides with lots of acceleration and/or directional changes, as in crits or in rollering terrain where you would power thru any hill. But is this due to material of XCR or due to geometry of the Cinelli or a combo of both? Probably due to both.

But let's look at this from cost. XCR tubeset is like $600 for the builder (that's what I was told), so it's not much more than other high quality steel tubeset, right? If this is the case, then personally I'd go for XCR steel. 6-7 years ago when XCR tubeset was first released, only a few manufacturers were able to offer their bikes in XCR, but now I do see a lot more manufacturers using XCR tubeset in their highest end bikes. If you at Pegoretti, his highest end bikes uses XCR. Cyfac (a French make) is also using XCR for their high end bikes, same with Tomasinni, etc. In the US, I know Scott Quiring offers XCR-based frame starting at $2300, which IMO is a good buy for a total custom frame (I don't think you can buy an XCR frame below this price!).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12