Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Colnago C50 vs Kuota (Khan/Kredo) Worth the $

Ok, So Carbon vs carbon.... Italian vs Italian... but, established company vs new on the block?
    Is the C50 worth the extra $1,500 - 2,000?
    Lot's of people know about the Colnago, but how about the Kuotas?
    What do you think?
    By the way, I ride some, nothing professional, mostly for pleasure and plan some Sprints.
    Thanks for the input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This call is yours. Ride them both and tell us what you think.

11,134 posts WTF
    yep, pdxmark is right. Witchever you feel fits you better and rides the best, and will make you ride the most is the chosen one.
    "I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic." - Woody Allen

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by kendo
    Ok, So Carbon vs carbon.... Italian vs Italian... but, established company vs new on the block?
    Is the C50 worth the extra $1,500 - 2,000?
    Lot's of people know about the Colnago, but how about the Kuotas?
    What do you think?
    By the way, I ride some, nothing professional, mostly for pleasure and plan some Sprints.
    Thanks for the input.
    If you're asking the question, The Kuota is the bike for you. You don't buy a Colnago with price in mind, you buy it because you want it. There are dozens of bikes by zillions of makers in all kinds of materials that will cost far less than a C50. And just about any person would be completely happy on any one of them.

So no, it's not worth an extra $1500-$2000, it's worth an incalculable amount of money more. Well, at least they are to me.

(And someone should feel free to correct me, but I don't think Kuotas are actually made in Italy much in the same way the Pinarello CF bikes are not.)

banned
    No, Kuotas are NOT made in Italy. They are made by Martec in Taiwan.

That said, I have the Kalibur and absolutely love it.

Interestingly, my friend has an Argon 18 Mercury, and on his rear triangle it says KISS - Kuota Integrated Seat Stay. I thought that was pretty funny. All this stuff is made in the same factories anyway.

banned
    Mar 2004

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    You don't buy a Colnago with price in mind, you buy it because you want it.
    So no, it's not worth an extra $1500-$2000, it's worth an incalculable amount of money more. Well, at least they are to me.
    I pilot a C50 as well because the geometry (52cm) fits me almost custom, it makes crappy "chip seal" roads seem smooth, I love the artwork (NL4), rarity (in my area) and lastly, because I can afford it.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by KATZRKOL
    I pilot a C50 as well because the geometry (52cm) fits me almost custom, it makes crappy "chip seal" roads seem smooth, I love the artwork (NL4), rarity (in my area) and lastly, because I can afford it.
    I really think that Colnago fit and handling are their unheralded selling points. I like everything about both. To the point where I've even spec'd custom bikes with like geometries.

And then there's the paint - love it or hate it, I think it's often art.

I rode past a guy changing a flat on a Kuota the other day. It looked like a well-executed, serviceable frame. Not hard on the eyes, but not exactly engaging either. I for one can only take so much of the "plain, clear-coated carbon with white decals" look (I also have a Parlee.) I can't comment on the differences between them in terms of ride, but I'm sure both compare favorably.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I own some high zoot frames from Merckx, et al., and some pretty pricey CF frames from Giant and C'Dale. Recently, I purchased a Kuota Khan and I couldn't be happier with it. I wanted an all-CF, non-compact frame and decide to buy the Khan from a shop overseas. It's not the lightest, or flashiest CF frame around, but IMHO it's an excellent ride. Is it a Colnago Presidente? No, but for less than the price of that frameset, I have a complete bike with K's and Chorus. I'm also riding a bike that rare in my neck of the woods.

banned
    Mar 2004

This is very true. .

I really think that Colnago fit and handling are their unheralded selling points.
    I've owned a few very high end bikes. .DeRosa, Wilier etc. .but the first hour on my C50 was very enlightening. I no longer even ride my other road bikes unless it's wet out, and even then. . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Everybody for the info.
    I can afford the Colnago, but just wasn't sure whether it's worth the difference.
    I try to be frugal with what $ I have.
    I also don't like to vist two different bikes shops, spend a lot of their time and only buy from the one at the end. I just feel bad about "wasting " their time, so appreciate you guys input on each of these bikes.
    Thanks again!

eminence grease
    ............but just wasn't sure whether it's worth the difference.

Did you get an answer to that particular question?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I came away with the conclusion that:
    1. people who have Colnagos ... Love Colnagos.
    2. people who don't have Colnagos... are of the thought that most any bike will work and that there are many types.
    I think it's like Macintosh computer owners and PC people?!
    am I any more sure what to do... not really. Some moments I think save the money, others, just splurge... .
    Thanks,
    Robert

banned
    Mar 2004

Probably not for you. .

I can afford the Colnago, but just wasn't sure whether it's worth the difference.
    . .I saw my first C40 in a magazine around 1998 or so, and was ever since obsessed with owning one. This was back before I went to college and could not afford it. The only other thing that did that to me was an M3 BMW, and now I have one. .Again, I HAD to have these things. After my C50 I don't even look at new fames, as there is nothing else for me.

eminence grease
    I came away with the conclusion that:
    1. people who have Colnagos ... Love Colnagos.
    2. people who don't have Colnagos... are of the thought that most any bike will work and that there are many types.
    I think it's like Macintosh computer owners and PC people?!
    am I any more sure what to do... not really. Some moments I think save the money, others, just splurge... .
    Thanks,
    Robert
    3. People who have Colnagos, love Colnagos but also think just about any bike will do. Except for the paintjobs, which are uniquely Colnago.

Example - I have an aluminum Colnago Dream. When it comes to aluminum frames, many, many would fit the bill. But, there is only one GEO. And thus the decision becomes clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colnago C50 vs Kuota (Khan/Kredo)  Worth the $-geo0123.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I look at Colnagos as do a Rolex. They're both overpriced but the people who buy them don't care, don't know any better or just want to flaunt it.Colnagos demand a premium of about a grand. So it depends on you wealth and or values. I ride with some rich seriusly fast riders who are on 5-10 year old titanium and average Joe's who get the hottest new bike every 2-4 years. Myself I go for value becouse if I'm hurting in a race I'll feel pretty dumb on a $4000 frame while someone passes me on a Trek 2200.

banned
    Mar 2004

Lol. . .

Quote Originally Posted by fillmore
    I look at Colnagos as do a Rolex. They're both overpriced but the people who buy them don't care, don't know any better or just want to flaunt it.
    Whom appointed you the "value" police? Do you also do the appraisals for Sotheby's Auction House? And I suppose you can explain with your wealth of knowledge regarding high-end timepieces, that if Rolex is one of FEW watchmakers who make their own movements versus tweaking (ETA or Lemania brands) them like Omega, what makes them "overpriced"?
    Last edited by KATZRKOL; 06-29-2006 at 10:08 AM.

banned
    The prices in this sport passed beyond rational long ago. I don't think there's anything wrong with spending the extra money on a Colnago. They're beautiful, and if owning a bike like that provides a modicum of extra motivation to get out and ride, man, it's worth it.

To me, a bike is more than just a junction of carbon tubes. It's art with a function.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I think every Kuota has an English bottom bracket - which is rare for Italian-marque bikes. But most Colnago carbon frames have a 6/4 titanium bottom bracket, which is so rare. You wil never have your bottom bracket seize up in a Colnago (despite the fact that Italian threaded bottom brackets work themselves out).

If you have the money to buy a C-50, (55cm frame weighs 1025 grams), but you're looking at a Kuota (they're built like a tank - and maybe 200 or 300 more grams heavier), you might look at some outstanding lightweight wheels that will stand up every day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I don't claim to be the "value police", just someone who spends much of his time making apprasials of The Stock Market. I came up with my $1000 premium based on the typical highend carbon frame is about $3000 and a C50 is $4000. $4000 happens to be the purchase price of my complete 2004 Trek 5900($4800 retail). I'm sure the C50 is a great frame but with the premium and a short warranty I couldn't justify the purchase. Getting away from whether it is worth it, if you consider the health benefits of cycling, buying something you are truly passionate about could be the best investment you could make.

11,134 posts WTF
    filmore, what you said about health is absolutely correct. Having a high end bike makes me ride more wich therefore makes me better. A nice frame with record or D/A will make me better, but not because of looks, weight or stifness but me. It makes ME better and makes me go out and ride.
    Last edited by asawlrider123456789; 06-29-2006 at 04:22 PM.
    "I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic." - Woody Allen

11,134 posts WTF
    I came up with my $1000 premium based on the typical highend carbon frame is about $3000 and a C50 is $4000. $4000 happens to be the purchase price of my complete 2004 Trek 5900($4800 retail). I'm sure the C50 is a great frame but with the premium and a short warranty I couldn't justify the purchase.
    ALL BS-wich is ok, i understand your thinking, years ago i couldn't either, but then I rode one.

If you own a colnago it's a sign of class. It shows you have a great appreciation for life and the finer elements of it. Sure other things will work, but you may not be having fun while doing it. If it is just as fun then colnago's are for you, but before you make the assumtion ride one first.

TerryB described it perfectly, to alot of people the fact that it's a colnago is worth 10 times the $1000 premium.

Maybe in a year or two I can own one and the only other bike with any ride qualities about equal to the C-50(in my opinion, don't want to start a flame) is the Look 585

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Perhaps one day I will ride a Colnago C-50 and find out what you guys are talking about. The Colnago Masterlight of years past was always my dream bike but they were priced right. And since you mentioned the 585, that's what I had in mind for a $3000 frame. That or 595 could be the next bike. Just call it my ignorance for being hard on Colnagos but finding a C-50 to test ride is a hard task.

eminence grease
    Perhaps one day I will ride a Colnago C-50 and find out what you guys are talking about. The Colnago Masterlight of years past was always my dream bike but they were priced right. And since you mentioned the 585, that's what I had in mind for a $3000 frame. That or 595 could be the next bike. Just call it my ignorance for being hard on Colnagos but finding a C-50 to test ride is a hard task.
    Way back in the early dawn of the other ongoing "Colnagos are too expensive" thread, I posed the question as to why it was Colnagos that always end up being the poster child for overpriced bikes that attract lazy fat guys.

The thing is, the price of C50 is no more or less obscene than any comparable frame that costs more than $2000 (my personal obscenity threshold.)

The Merkcx Carbon AXM is $4800. The Pinarello Paris is $3600. The Look 585 is $3000. The Serotta Meivici is $7100 (without a fork.) The BMC is $3650. Cervelo Bayonne is $4999. Most of the Fondriest CF frames were in the $4000+ range. The Derosa King XL is $4200. The Time VXRS UTeam is $4700. The straight VXRS is $4200 and the VXR is $3600.

In that company, the Look seems to be a bargain and the C50 is middle of the pack. $3000 to $5000 is what you pay for a small MFGR CF frame. There is nothing special about the the price of the C50.

When you talk about a $1000 premium to ride a C50, I frankly don't see it.

11,134 posts WTF
    Excactly, people that ride them don't see it anywhere beside's the finish

How do you excactly what all people are thinking, god your a genious

daddy when i grow up i want to be terryb

good choice son

banned
    Mar 2004

Once again. .

Way back in the early dawn of the other ongoing "Colnagos are too expensive" thread, I posed the question as to why it was Colnagos that always end up being the poster child for overpriced bikes that attract lazy fat guys.

The thing is, the price of C50 is no more or less obscene than any comparable frame that costs more than $2000 (my personal obscenity threshold.)

The Merkcx Carbon AXM is $4800. The Pinarello Paris is $3600. The Look 585 is $3000. The Serotta Meivici is $7100 (without a fork.) The BMC is $3650. Cervelo Bayonne is $4999. Most of the Fondriest CF frames were in the $4000+ range. The Derosa King XL is $4200. The Time VXRS UTeam is $4700. The straight VXRS is $4200 and the VXR is $3600.

In that company, the Look seems to be a bargain and the C50 is middle of the pack. $3000 to $5000 is what you pay for a small MFGR CF frame. There is nothing special about the the price of the C50.

A great point. There are other carbon framesets much more than the C50, but I've no interest in buying them. And it's not price. I just found what I love. Now, if I could buy a C50, 52cm in a the GEO paint scheme. .I'd be in heaven!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast