RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Colnago c64 out in two days(Feb 9th)

Anyone excited? Looks like an interesting announcement. Direct Mount brakes, frame dropping 200 grams of weight, thinner more aero seatpost. Better support for electronic group sets. Lots of goodies.

https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?p...du-colnago-c64
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 02-07-2018 at 07:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

The new Colnago C64

The Canary Islands: home of the family package holiday. A Lanzarote resort complex is not, on initial thoughts, the most natural of places for Colnago to showcase their latest top end road bike to the media.

Then again: why not? Colnago’s prestige is built around good bikes. The brand’s revered reputation pre-dates the bike industry era of fancy-pants pretensions. They’re actually quite a small company. 28 employees. Family run. And the Aequora Suites are as family friendly as vacation destinations come.

Ernesto’s even brought his grandson along.

The bike is unveiled to our small crowd of journalists in a starkly lit basement room below the lobby where Ernesto greets everyone warmly.

“This is the discoteque,” he tells me after we descend the stairs into the cavernous room. It is, I acknowledge with a nod to the DJ booth, and we both start wiggling our hips for a couple of seconds of grandad disco dancing. Like you do when you meet Ernesto Colnago.

The Italian is in mid 80s now. In fact the bike is being officially launched on February 9th in celebration of his 86th birthday – and in the avant-garde surrounds of a Milan’s pavilion. The C64 title: a nod to the company’s 64th year.

Tonight though, the disco lights stay off, the PA system unused. Forget kitsch disco, it actually feels more like a school assembly hall.

In a navy jacket, dark trousers and a pair of black leisure shoes he possibly got from M&S, the good-going octogenarian stands on the stage and enthuses about the new model before whipping off the sheet. Starting with the C35, the C-series of bikes is now 29 years strong. “Colnago never stops,” he asserts.

The bike. That’s what we’re here for. Enough of that scene setting. What to say about the bike?

Well, it’s a Colnago. The latest top-model. Reason enough for some to part cash for one. Reason enough then to not waffle on about lateral stiffness, compliance and the other build virtues that get wheeled out at every bike launch and dutifully swirl out on the page. Not too much anyway. A Colnago is a Colnago. The name is revered.

That’s not to say Colnago rest on their laurels. Or to belittle the engineering genius that has gone into this project, or indeed any other manufacturer’s attempts at improving the 130 year old contraption that is the safety bicycle. For Colnago’s R&D Engineer Davide Fumigalli (pictured below), it was a very difficult project.

“I’ve been working at the company for nine years, and spent the last four years on this” he tells me as we roll off a roundabout the next morning and start climbing into Lanzarote’s moonscape hinterland.

As successor to the C60, he says he started working on the C64 the day after the former launched. What, ironing out the bits he wasn’t happy with? The parts he didn’t quite have time to address? The C60s failings?Not quite. The difficulty in the project lay in identifying where enhancements could be made.

“It’s hard making improvements to the best bike in the world,” he notes without any reservation. “We really did feel the C60 was nearly perfect, so we had to work very hard at what we could improve.”

Here’s another thing about having a launch in Lanzarote. If the bike you’re showcasing happens to be black, grey and white with clean lines and matt carbon finish, it may well be aesthetically complimented by the neat geometrics of Lanzarote’s white architecture, the smart shadows cast by the warm low January sun and the rugged black volcanic fallout that surfaces much of this southeastern side of the Atlantic island. Whether that came up in the launch planning meeting is another matter.

The draw was more likely the island’s good, smooth, rolling roads and the pleasant subtropical-desert climate. Plus: a journalist is always going to be partial to a choice of four pools and an all-inclusive wristband at the bar.

But we’re in the disco-cum-school hall doing a kind of show-and-tell with individual joins and tubes from the bikes modular anatomy. A new integrated seat tube and lug with hidden seat clamp, a bottom bracket shell to house the latest collaboration with Ceramic Speed, the asymmetric chainstays that compensate for the extra leverage put upon the left. (For the cameras, Ernesto will later slot these demo tubes together.)

There’s a downtube with a recessed bottle mount. Alessandro, Colnago’s PR guy, instructs me to take a look down the inside . It’s so clean, so neat. So exquisite. Normally there’s a spider’s tangle of loose carbon threads in there.

Nevermind this is a view an owner will only ever see of their own bike in the unlikely event of their Colnago falling apart. Or more probably, an embittered, jealous spouse taking a hacksaw to it. The message here is precision engineering. The backstage and fire escapes are tidy too. These Colnago’s look stunning. But that’s not just front.

The attention to detail may be second to none, but even a Colnago needs an occasional fine tuning. On the first climb away from the coast, the lower gears of the mechanical Super Record on my test bike jump around like an Irish-American rap anthem.

Even when they eventually bed-in -multiple unsuccessful barrel twiddles and 50km of mis-gearing later- I’m of the view that that clunky click of Campag’s top end components are doing a disservice to an otherwise very gracious ride. But I’m Shimano-conditioned these days, and we’re not here to critique Campagnolo. I do note, however, that Fumagalli’s own disc brake model -still being test ridden ahead of a May launch date- is equipped with Dura-Ace.

Fumagalli (the name means cock-smoker he volunteers over dinner) is effectively a one man band in Colnago’s design stable. Which makes me curious: when first working on the project, was it primarily with the disc or rim brake model in mind. Does what you want to do with one, lead the other?

“We work on both together,” he answers somewhat diplomatically. In a way, it’s could be perceived as a trick question (which one’s the afterthought?). But it’s a transitional time for the industry, and where priorities lie says something significant about vision, heritage, modern trends and technology.

Fumagalli elaborates that the disc brake model perhaps presents the greater technical challenges with internal routing, tackling weight, and accommodating bigger forces. But for an Italian heritage brand like Colnago, rim brake models are still the bigger seller.

Discs or no discs, the front-end has seen a lot of development. The forks have been redesigned with an internal ribbing that makes them stiffer, while also being lengthened to accommodate the growing desire for wider tyres. It should take 28mm GP4000s no problem.

At the tips, the disc brake thru axle is now threaded to further reduce weight, while the rim-brake version’s drop outs are now all carbon.

This reworking of the forks requisites a headset rethink. Say hello then to the model reworked from the Concept aero-bike which, through carbon-nylon polymer cups and elastomers, promises to absorb road vibration.

The new combo of fork and headset does away with the need for an expander plug, but in turn calls for a new in-house stem for the disc brake model which neatly internalises cables. Thankfully this is compatible with standards handlebar on the market so the knock-ons -and this trawl through the technical details can- stop here.

The road summits a little beyond Asoma, where it cuts through a string of volcanic craters. The descent drops you into Lanzarote’s remarkable viticultural region where thousands of vines grows in isolation in their own little micro craters, that catch water in the long dry summer and –often embellished with a small stone wall- protects the plant from Lanzarote’s perma-wind.

We turn left and enjoy the one section of the ride where we have the breeze on our back. The bike speeds without fuss. Calm and steady. As solid as rock (the non-molten type), even when its rider gets over excited, out in shorts again after months in thermal tights – or just in per se.

After a roundabout at Uga dominated by two oversized model camels, the road climbs again, quite steeply. And the bike climbs as well as its heavily wintered rider allows.

Colnago go to great pains to stress that they’re not overly preoccupied with weight, that they will not compromise ride quality or safety in pursuit of saving grams. Nonetheless there have been trimmings. The fork, head tube, the seat clamp and the rear triangle have all been designed to be lighter. As an overall bike, Colnago claim the rim brake C64 is to be approximately 205g lighter than its predecessor and the disc version 270g so.
    The most experienced bike reviewers may claim they can feel these subtle differences within kilometres. But in drawing concluions I should probably disclose that I’m just not that perceptive. If it fits well, if it rides nice; unless there’s a problem, a discomfort, an annoyance, I will forget about the bike.

The early miles tick by trying to form insightful impressions but as with all rides, you settle in, engage in conversation, gape at the landscape let your mind wander. You enjoy the flow, the fresh air, the sun, the curves of the road, the endorphin-release from exercise. You fret. About your fitness, about the distance, the wind, the half wheeling, eating enough, getting back in time for a dip in the pool. Oh yeah, and what you might write.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    looks like the c60 from where I'm sitting. I already have too many bikes. Can't say I'm excited about any new bike! But I do like Colnago's lug design
    Last edited by aclinjury; 02-07-2018 at 04:31 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Wasn't able to swing a "last of the new Cayman GTS"...will have to take the hit and make sure I get a last of the C60s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    looks like the c60 from where I'm sitting. I already have too many bikes. Can't say I'm excited about any new bike! But I do like Colnago's lug design

tubes are all new. i got a glimpse of one, and thought the diameters appeared thinner. I hope so. the c60 looked too over-sized and not as proportional as the c59 especially by the downtube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

RoadBikeReview Member

Colnago c64 out in two days(Feb 9th)

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    I am glad to see Colnago stating that their top-o-th-line frame is tube and joins.
    I know that great bikes can be made with other techniques.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Braavos View Post
    nice find
    video says bottom bracket shell is threaded carbon? excuse moi?? did I hear that right?!
    Last edited by aclinjury; 02-14-2018 at 04:04 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    colnago has an interesting hybrid solution for bottom brackets. personally i'm wed to the bsa standard but it does show that colnago is not simply hopping on industry trends but thinking about and improving upon them. haven't heard any bottom bracket creek stories on the c60, it must be working.