Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Colnago Master Light part suggestions

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  pmf 
#1 ·
I just ordered a Colnago Master light. I plan to build it up with Athena. Looking for suggestions on the rest of the parts list (bars, stem, wheels, post). My criteria is:
- no carbon (not negotiable)
- classic looks
- durable and functional
- no stupid light parts
- Italian brand preferred (even if really made in Taiwan)

#2 ·
I will be receiving my Master 30th next week

I will build it with a full Ultra Torque/Ultra Shift Silver Centaur group, I have a set of blue open pros laced to silver Chorus hubs 36x3, DT Revos/Comp/Alu nipples/Vittoria Corsas that wil be my all around wheelset for this build and another tubular set with silver 9 speed generation Record hubs ( heavier because of the Steel axles ) DT Coms/GP4s/brass nipples on Veloflex Roubaix.

For the build kit I have a Chorus Titanium silver seatpost, and a Brooks Swift Titanium, I ordered mine with a threaded precisa fork, so I will use a threaded Record headset and Cinelli 1A quill stem and Giro d'Italia handlebars and Cinelli Kaleiodoscope white ( with multicolored see through the perforations) bar tape.

Can't wait !

thread here

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/colnago/my-master-30th-ad10-302774.html

#3 ·
San Marco Regal Saddle
3TTT quill stem - Status or AR84
Bar - matching 3TTT with round bend
post - retro Campag (but a little heavy) or a USE alien post - alu or Ti
Wheels - 20-24 handbuilt with a semi aero rim (around 25-27mm tall)
catye wireless computer. Something small - nothing big like a Garmin or the like.

#5 ·
Mine in PR99. Athena 11spd, Deda 215 bars, Velo Orange Grand Cru seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, ProWheelBuilder XR270 rims built on Velocity silver hubs, stem doesn't matter as mine is threadless at -17 and nearly matches the tubing size of the bike, so its all good.
Enjoy the research, build and ride.
For some reason, mine seemed a bit "out of sorts" initially as far as the handling went, but now I have it dialed in and its awesome.

#8 ·
I had no idea they still made steel. Nice frames and slightly less gaudy paint that I remember from the 80s and 90s. I thought I would never own a Colnago because their sizing is not for me but I would have choices here. The only issue is they ain't cheap.

How do they ride?

#12 ·
Most factory wheelsets are radial laced on the front and likely on the non drive side on the rear. This saves a tiny bit of weight, might provide a miniscule aero advantage with shorter spokes that are likely aero shaped, and to make up for fewer spokes, a heavier, stiffer rim. It also gives a stiffer ride with the same tires versus a traditional 28+ spoke wheel built with some cross pattern. Some people see stiff as fast and in some applications, stiff is good on a bike. You can build a stiff traditional spoked wheel but it will be heavy. A 32H 3X laced wheel with Open Pro or equivalent with 14/15g double butted spokes will give a long service life and a great ride. Going with good hubs (Record, White, Chris King) on your initial build means you can wear out a few sets of rims before you ever wear out a hub.

#13 ·
Athena is a great choice for a steel frame. I know you don't want carbon, but I would strongly urge you to consider upgrading the shifters to Chorus. Campy makes two type of shifter -- powershift and ultrashift -- you really want the ultrashift. The lowest group they come in is Chorus.

I had this outfit build me a set of wheels for my Eddy Merckx. All silver hubs, spokes and rims. They look really sharp.

Custom Wheel Set

#15 ·
Athena is a great choice for a steel frame. I know you don't want carbon, but I would strongly urge you to consider upgrading the shifters to Chorus. Campy makes two type of shifter -- powershift and ultrashift -- you really want the ultrashift. The lowest group they come in is Chorus.
If you can find the 2010 Athena, you will luck and get ultrashift.
I picked up a set last month (carbon wrap so it won't help this project), rest of my set was 2012 (Crankset and shifters were 2010 carbon wrap)

I'd be looking for NOS (or lightly used) Cinelli for this project.

#16 ·
When I built up my Merckx in early 2011, I bought the 2010 version of Athena. At that time, the shifters were ultrashift, but carbon wrapped. In 2011, they downgraded the shifters to powershift and offered them in carbon wrapped or silver. About 18 months later, I got my wife a steel Merckx and went with Athena, but got the Chorus shifters.

I think Campy only makes two kinds of shifters. Record differs from Chorus by a few lighter weight bits and pieces. The ultrashift levers shift nicer and allow you to "sweep" -- shift down up to five gears at a time, and shift up by three gears at a time. The powershift are one click, one gear shift. They work just fine with the Athena components. Its a nice upgrade for around $75.

#17 ·
answered my own question. So, powershift does not allow multiple shifts with one lever throw? Even my 1999 Veloce levers support that so that seems like a step backwards. While I do like that feature, I real abhor the idea on any carbon on this bike. Decisions, decsions

#18 ·
Campy Athena and Veloce are both available in all silver versions (except for black plastic shift paddles on Veloce). Shifting is very light and easy and you can down shift by single clicking very quickly if need be. I find I rarely down shift more than one gear at time anyway. Of course you can still do multiple up shifts which is more important in my experience. The only problems I have noticed with Powershift is the front shifter will sometimes seem to stick when you are on the big chainring trying to shift to the small chainring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.