RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Compact vs Standard Carbon Frames and Ibis Silk

Bit of wondering post. I am looking to get an Ibis Silk SL off of wrenchscience. On the website they do 10% off the 3300 price tag. Do you think they will knock off another 5-10% if I ask nice?

Second, what is your opinion of compact versus standard carbon frames? Personally, I think the compacts look sweeter. Giants and looks are compact, right? Who else has compact carbon frames? Should I get a compact frame or go with the ibis?

Rub it............
    Alot of manufacturers offer compact and standard frames. So it all depends on the application and the look that you want.

Is there any other specific frames/bikes that you are considering besides the Silk?

You could try and get another percentage off if you ask, but I'd put money on it that you'd get nothing else off. Most online sites already offer items at lower prices than a store front.

But it's always worth a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    What is the basic difference between the compact and standard frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Frame Types

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjam
    What is the basic difference between the compact and standard frame?
    Personal preference. You see more seattube on the compact, trendy. You may save a few grams of frame weight. I prefer a compromise, a semi compact, with the longest top tube, along with a 120mm stem, is the best for aero long distance performance/speed without sacrificing comfort Regardless of preference, the most important and often overlook factor is frame fit. Go to your LBS, get fitted and try a std, semi and compact frame, then you decide which is best for you. Even with the best possible fit, you will most likely spend 2-3 weeks finely adjusting the saddle height, etc. to get the best fit for your particular riding style: spinner, smasher or combination: smash-spinner. ru1-2cycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks . I am looking at the new BLUE AC1SL but cant find any reviews on it. do you have any insight on this new model. I have heard great things about the BLUE in general. One concern I have is the head tube length is only 17.5 on the 58 and I generally like to be a more comfortable upright fit and I am not sure if i can achieve this?