RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

A Concours in Progress...

Here's a few pics of my Serotta Concours in progress. Sorry the lighting isn't so great- I had my camera's exposure set for outdoors when I took these.

This is an 05 Serotta Concours OS w/ cobalt blue paint, Oval Concepts post & 120 cm stem, and Mike Garcia wheels (DT Swiss RR1.1, Speedcific hubs, 28 fr, 32 rear). The bars are Kestrel EMS, saddle is a Fizik Arione, the crank is Chorus, and the tape is metal blue Fizik to match the metal blue stripe on the saddle. Yes, I know the tape goes on AFTER the shifters ;), I just wanted to see what it looked like and quickly did an obviously messy job without taking off the backing. I will finish the rest of the build with 2005 Chorus stuff & Veloflex tires. I also have some black Fizik tape if I decide I don't like the blue stuff.

Geometry is 58 ST, 58 TT, 73.5 SA, 73 HA, 8 bb drop, 2deg tt slope, 41.5 chainstays, 101 wheelbase, 61 front center, 5.9 trail. I have about 7mm of spacer under the stem in the pic with about 5mm on top. For some reason I like the looks of having some spacer on the top. I may end up removing one 5mm spacer below and cutting the steerer a little once I've put some miles on it. I am riding very comfortably for long distances on my current sled with 1cm additional drop than reflected here. We'll see..

With a new baby in the house, I've had to delay some purchases, but I'll have it on the road by Christmas - and what a fine day that will be!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Concours in Progress...-mini-img_2249.jpg   A Concours in Progress...-mini-img_2254.jpg   A Concours in Progress...-mini-img_2260.jpg   A Concours in Progress...-mini-img_2269.jpg  

banned
    Those low profile tires are waynar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Nice bike! I like the blue bar tape , hope you won't change it .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    Those low profile tires are waynar.
    Thanks. They are the new 0mm racing slicks from michelin. Unlimited wear life. A little dicey in the corners though..

BTW, what does "waynar" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne77

probably 'way gnarly', or something like that.

that is a really beautiful bike. i've never been a fan of the color blue, but the way that frame looks with the bar tape is stunning. i hope you don't swap it out for black.

be sure to post final build shots!

the_dude

eminence grease
    Going the silver component route on that bike is an excellent idea - it will be a beauty when it's done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Going the silver component route on that bike is an excellent idea - it will be a beauty when it's done.

Thanks, I have to thank your "white bike" for the stem and post inspiration..
    If two people are in complete agreement, one of them is not necessary...

eminence grease
    Thanks, I have to thank your "white bike" for the stem and post inspiration..
    You're welcome.

I get more comments on that bike. While riding it in the Buffalo Bicycling Classic last month (Boulder) someone went by and told me they'd seen it online. Small world.

I think Oval's stuff is far underappreciated. I know it's just more contract stuff more Taiwan, but I think the fit/finish is pretty darn nice if you have the desire to use silver.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a hot bike. Very simple but clean and classic look (even though I think Serottas are overpriced). Definitely show it when the whole thing is built up.

Just so you know, Ariones come also in a blue version (maybe with a black strip in the middle or something), which will go well with the bike.

banned
    Thanks. They are the new 0mm racing slicks from michelin. Unlimited wear life. A little dicey in the corners though..
    waynar-->way gnarly
    tonar-->totally gnarly

Apparently snowboard speak or summat.

Nice bike. I bet those slicks have a sick, low rolling resistance.

fmw
    Hoosier Pedaler
    Beautiful. Nice job. You can be proud of that mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by elviento
    That's a hot bike. Very simple but clean and classic look (even though I think Serottas are overpriced). Definitely show it when the whole thing is built up.

Just so you know, Ariones come also in a blue version (maybe with a black strip in the middle or something), which will go well with the bike.
    Thanks! I agree that Serottas in general are priced at a premium. They just came out with an all carbon model called the Meivici that is $7000 for the frame!! The Concours ($2500), however, is pretty competitively priced compared to other double butted custom ti frames out there; the Seven Axiom is $2700, an IF ti is around $3100 with a fork, a custom Moots is around $2600, etc.

Even at $2500 I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on this one if it weren't for a deal my lbs cut me where I received a free set of either Reynolds Alta Race or Ksyrium Elite wheels with the purchase. I took the Reynolds wheels and sold them on eBay for $500, so I essentially got the frame for $2000. Still pricey, but I wanted custom ti, and I love the shaping Serotta does to the tubes.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the compliments. I'll post some pics when she's all built up.
    If two people are in complete agreement, one of them is not necessary...