RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Confused about girls' bikes.

I know there's probably a reason. But if someone could explain it to me, I'd be interested.

I know there's probably more to it than this, but....

An average girl and an adverage guy of the same height will have some obvious differences. Among others, the girl's inseam is likely to be longer.

Yet girls seat tubes are shorter.

Shouldn't a girl's bike have a longer seat tube or shorter top tube to compensate for these differences as opposed to the exact opposite. What am I missing?

I ask becuase I'm about to buy my girlfriend her first bike in over a decade, and we're having trouble finding somethng that fits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Actually if you compare most men's and women's geometry, they are actually the same frame with different paint. They may put narrower bars and or wedges in the shifters to accommodate smaller hands, maybe a shorter stem. Sometimes they will put on a different saddle. But mostly it's paint on high end road bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5 View Post
    But mostly it's paint on high end road bikes.
    And on entry-level bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trek makes their WSD slightly different and in smaller sizes.

But yeah, you would think with the different body types, they would make different geometry. With the shorter torso's women seem to look like they are reaching.

I, personally, don't like most paint colours in the WSD bikes. I find some of them too "sissy" for my tastes.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moostapha View Post
    And on entry-level bikes?
    If you mean like huffy, yes you see that dropped top tube - true bikes for girls. That way they don't have to show you their underwear when the have a skirt on.
    On high-end road bikes the entry level bikes (meaning the equipment is less expensive) they often use the same frame. If the bike is carbon, they may use a less expensive carbon layup but the frame has the same geometry from top price to entry priced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    The only way to determine her proper frame size, is for her to test ride the bike. Many women prefer male-oriented-diamond-framed bikes over any other. Those same women usually hate the color pink too!
    Last edited by Zeet; 07-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    My bike is a men's Jamis Quest (blue,) and yes I hate pink. My partner's is a men's Madone and she's fine with pink, but loves red. Her bike is red and white.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    We wound up with a Trek FX. I'm honestly not sure whether it's a WSD or just a tiny frame, but it doesn't look girly and she likes it...not quite ready to jump into a full road bike just yet, which is fine except that I'm so much faster than her. But that seem like it'd be a "problem" either way, and she'll catch up.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I know there's probably a reason. But if someone could explain it to me, I'd be interested.

I know there's probably more to it than this, but....

An average girl and an adverage guy of the same height will have some obvious differences. Among others, the girl's inseam is likely to be longer.

Yet girls seat tubes are shorter.

Shouldn't a girl's bike have a longer seat tube or shorter top tube to compensate for these differences as opposed to the exact opposite. What am I missing?

I ask becuase I'm about to buy my girlfriend her first bike in over a decade, and we're having trouble finding somethng that fits.
    I was wondering the same at the bike shop today when I was staring at some girl's bikes. There is obviously a reason for the bike differences, it's just not as simple as we might think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Short torso = less reach (or so we'd assume). It's not so much the seat tube is shorter but the head tube is taller. Pretty sure that was the idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5 View Post
    Actually if you compare most men's and women's geometry, they are actually the same frame with different paint. They may put narrower bars and or wedges in the shifters to accommodate smaller hands, maybe a shorter stem. Sometimes they will put on a different saddle. But mostly it's paint on high end road bikes.
    This may have been true many years ago but now any brand that is serious about selling bikes to women's are making women-specific bikes with women-specific geometry. Generally this sees shorter top tubes, higher head-tubes and better stand-over. Any brand that is simply 'shrinking and pinking' is probably failing in the women's market. The big question is does this difference in geometry matter? In my experience the answer is generally yes. And before you chime in, yes even among taller women. However, women riders like their male counterparts are still individuals and so while not every production frame works for every man nor will every women-specific frame work for every woman.
    Don't start me on the colour of women's bike though. It's like being asked does my butt look big in this. There is no right answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    All the pro woman cyclist teams I know in the sf bay area ride men's frames...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I purchased a Wilier Gran Turismo for the wife... thought about a Wilier stella.. but didn't like all the pretty colors.. matte black is what she gets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My GF and I both ride Cervelo S2's. She is 5'6" (rides a 51cm) and I'm 5'8" (I ride a 54cm).

Even thought I am 2 inches taller...our saddles are the same height. She has more legs but less torso and I'm more torso than leg.

She has 30mm of spacers on top of a 15mm bearing cover. I kinda wish the headtube is slightly taller so she can run a couple less spacers.
    Last edited by AvantDale; 07-30-2013 at 11:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Those his & hers cervelos are pretty.