RoadBikeReview Member

Confused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.

Hib to you all out there. I rescued a genuine Italian Benotto Modelo 850 Paris Roubaix variant a few years ago and set about completely refurbishing the bike back to something respectable and worthy of being a Classic Italian.
    The Benotto was a seriously neglected and bodged example of what not to do with a bike - of any description.

It was in the Benotto Light Metallic Gold but in very bad shape,I stripped it of everything and had the frame and original forks (Chromed) shot blasted and Stove Enamelled at C&G Finishes,Liverpool. It was then totally rebuilt using New & NOS and carefully selected Pre-owned parts.
    This included a pair of Benotto Pantograph Chrome Forks.

The confusion lies in that the tubing is on one site as being Columbus Zeta and on another as Columbus SL.
    The seat pin is a fluted 26.29mm one and according to one site that is what was used with the Zeta tubing and not the SL.
    The frame number is R8578.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Confused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-dscf3533.jpg   Confused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-dscf3638.jpg   Confused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-100920141537.jpg   Confused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-100920141533.jpg   Confused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-100920141539.jpg  

Your ears are your rear-end defenders. Don't clutter them and stay alive and riding.
    Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

RoadBikeReview Member
    dunno the tubing but congratz on the nice find and putting the work in to the restoration! looking good

(though I prefer the oem colour scheme)

RoadBikeReview Member
    It strikes me that if your seat post matches the Zeta tubing, that seems like a better reference of the two. The pre-restoration photo does not look like a bike that would come with the pricier SL tubeset, but maybe Benetto was funny that way.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Columbus SL uses a 27.2 seat post. You can also confirm by feeling along the inside of the fork steering tube for little spiral ridges which would denote SL.

Good looking bike, nice work!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Is this the same bicycle? Top tube cable guides are gone and the crank is now a triple, with a Shimano cartridge bb on a Campy drivetrain?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Is this the same bicycle? Top tube cable guides are gone and the crank is now a triple, with a Shimano cartridge bb on a Campy drivetrain?
    Hi GSKi. Yes that is the same bike and yes the first thing I had removed was the top-tube cable guides. In my opinion that is the must stupid place to have them position because of the friction and inevitable paint damage when performing my ballet routine at 'Stand-Over'.
    I had two new and current pattern ones installed on the non-drive side just above the lower centre line of the tube.

The Shimano BB cartridge is a new Italian 70mm thread - I actually bought two at the same time albeit intending to keep the bike until I could no longer ride - I am currently 72yrs young.
    The original rebuild was on Campy friction levers with a 7spd cassette on Nuovo Gran Sport with a double. This was quickly swapped for an 8spd individual sprockets and a triple with my 140mm (Thorn) cranks.
    Then I changed the bars and levers for eight speed levers with an Avanti rear derailleur and a triple. The front derailleur was handled with a matching lever and a double shifter taking advantage of the huge gap to accommodate the centre ring.

That incarnation was completed with the Mavic rims and Aksium Cartridge Hubs with bladed spokes. This was a fabulous bike to ride but sadly just a little out of my comfort zone particularly when ballet dancing af traffic lights.

The bike was later stripped and all usable parts transfered to a really nice 50cm Bianchi that was built as a Flat-bar Hybrid on Campy 10spd with a Stronglight Triple and my Thorn 140mm cranks.
    Confused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-dscf4248.jpgConfused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-dscf4247.jpgConfused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-dscf4341.jpgConfused about my Benotto Modelo 850 Tubing.-dscf4324.jpg

In the meantime I built my rescued 50cm Steve Goff frame (Columbus Tubing) Designer Select variant - a selection of three tubes for their individual attributes and this was Stove Enamelled in Flamboyant Blue by C&G Finishers,Liverpool.
    Your ears are your rear-end defenders. Don't clutter them and stay alive and riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Columbus SL uses a 27.2 seat post. You can also confirm by feeling along the inside of the fork steering tube for little spiral ridges which would denote SL.

Good looking bike, nice work!
    Hi hfc. Thank you,it really turned heads even those on the swanky/insanely stupidly expensive carbon jobs were nodding in approval.

Yes,I am aware that the SL tubing ran a 27.2mm seat pin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    It strikes me that if your seat post matches the Zeta tubing, that seems like a better reference of the two. The pre-restoration photo does not look like a bike that would come with the pricier SL tubeset, but maybe Benetto was funny that way.
    Hi Kontact. The bike when first seen in the metal brought a lump of disappointment into my throat. The only items with salvaging for later selling-on were the Gipiemme compact chainset and the fluted seat-pin;the original chromed forks were also retained but stove enamelled as per the frame and kept as spare if required.
    The Benotto had been seriously bodged and had been running on a wing and a pray - I had a 130 miles round trip and 168.00 donation to a charity to get it.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingRooster View Post
    the first thing I had removed was the top-tube cable guides. In my opinion that is the must stupid place to have them position because of the friction and inevitable paint damage when performing my ballet routine at 'Stand-Over'.
    "must stupid"?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    dunno the tubing but congratz on the nice find and putting the work in to the restoration! looking good

(though I prefer the oem colour scheme)
    Hi BCSc. Thank you. Oddly enough I almost had the frame re-finished with a Flamboyant Gold but settled for the deep blue that was very near to an original finish that Benotto once used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    "must stupid"?
    That should have read :- must have been the most stupid