RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Convert Y-foil for Tri use- seatpost angle question

I picked up a Y-foil from a friend for a good price. Always wanted a beam bike. Currently setup with drop bars on quill stem. It's my size (at least in top tube length), although the seatpost angle is 72. I am interested in converting to Tri use, with a steeper angle.
    (Yes, I know this a UCI banned bike, although even that statement is debated in other forums. Not looking to debate that issue here, looking for a seatpost angle solution.)

I'll be replacing quill stem/drop bars with quill to threadless adapter, longer stem, and tri/TT aero bars, and changing shifters and cables and all too.

Question is: Will I be able to effectively (and safely) use a no-setback seatpost to get the seat angle from 72 closer to 78ish, and if so, any suggestions? Or, even weirder, I've seen a Y-foil for tri with a setback seatpost put on backwards to bring it up, looked terrible, but if I cared what people thought of me and how my bike looks, I wouldn't be on a Y-foil.

Cheers,
    B
    Last edited by bbulmann; 07-24-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    I guess my question is... tri foils are still insanely popular in triathlons.

I understand the positioning needs to be slightly different, and perhaps this will make a huge difference at competitive levels but a regular "road fit" isn't gonna kill you doing the TT leg even for 126 miles.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike