RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Converting a racing road frame to a fixie

Is it common to buy a racing road bike frame like a Colnago C40 or a Specialized Tarmac and convert it into a fixie instead?

I know that it's weird to do that, but I guess I'm wondering if there are fixie-specific frames and road-racing frames and if the two are interchangeable. I noticed the drop-outs are different, but I'm not sure.

I'm interested in getting a nice road frame, but didn't have enough money for high-end components. So I'm wondering if it's possible to build the racing road frame as a fixie until I can afford to put nice racing components on it.

Thanks.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Head over to the fixed gear forum, where we specialize in this sort of discussion.

What you are suggesting is common, though the order of things might be. Most folks will take their previous generation frame (or something cheap from a garage sale, etc)and turn it into a fixed gear bike. Starting with a high-end frame built new into a fixie is unusual.

Dropouts matter for making a fixed gear bike. On a fixed gear, you need some way to be able to adjust the chain tension, and that's generally done by moving the wheel in the drops. For bikes with vertical (normal road) drops, there are special hubs that can be used to build wheels to handle the adjustment.

Another possibility that might make a bit more sense overall, is to create a single speed. There, the adjustment is handled by an idler pulley. And honestly, a single speed is a bit more practical to ride. That'll also give you a set of wheels that you'll be able to reuse on the 'big' build.

For me, I'd rethink the process. Rather than buying a frame and saving for the build, I'd consider buying the build and saving for a good frame. Get something like a Bikes Direct bike with a good group and a 'lesser' frame. WHen you can afford the dream frame, port the parts over and use the old frame to build a fixie/ss.

Have fun!
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

duh...
    eno wheel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    A C40 turned into a fixie would be something that Bike Snob NYC would post a picture of. So he could mock it.

Instead, you can get a perfectly good brand-new generic carbon framed bike with Ultegra or the Campy equivalent for the price of a used Colnago frame. That will be good enough to ride or race on. Ride the wheels off it and save up for the expensive bike if you want it, then use the old bike as the rain/backup bike.

Ask yourself: do I want to ride, or do I want an expensive toy.

la dolce vita
    insert witty comment here

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mootsie

but that's no c40