aussie
    Jan 2007

crack around braze-on front derailleur clamp

hi everyone

I recently discovered a crack around the braze-on for my front derailleur on my carbon frame. Initially, i thought it was only a paint issue, but after having recently re-checked the area, the crack seems to have grown. When I tug a bit in the clamp, I can see it moving.

I'm a bit worried about this. Some people I have spoken to have told me that it is normal, while others have told me i should mention it to the shop i bought the frame from.

What are your experiences re. this issue - is ANY crack in a carbon frame ok to ride and race with?

thanks,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Issue solved : Stay in the big ring

No, seriously :a crack is by no means "normal", and a derailleur tab should not move.

If it moves when you just tug it a bit, then what could happen if you think about shifting your FD ?

A picture would be helpful for a more detailed reply.

Good luck

TS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I guess technically it isn't a "braze on", so is it bonded or riveted to the frame. If the seat tube is not cracked, the braze on could be fixed or removed for a clamp type of mount. As the above reply stated, it shouldn't move and my come off if used. That wouldn't be fun.

My old LOOK frame had a riveted der mount, but my second LOOK had no mount and a clamp was used. The rivet thing looked kind of cheesy anyways regardless of function.
    Last edited by The Green Hour; 05-09-2009 at 07:49 AM.

aussie
    Jan 2007
    cheers. That's exactly what I'm thinking. If the bike is in order, the rivetted (yes, you're right. It's not really a braze-on on a carbon bike) pice should not be able to move the slightest. If it does, there must be something wrong.

I'll post some pictures asap.

thanks

aussie
    Jan 2007
    here are a few photos of the issue.

Sorry for the wait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crack around braze-on front derailleur clamp-dsc_0282_edited-2.jpg   crack around braze-on front derailleur clamp-dsc_0283_edited-3.jpg  

Frog Whisperer
    if it was mine, I would not ride that bike until I had an "expert" hands and eyes on....examine it.
    It does look cracked to me.....and that IS your seat tube we are talking about.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    if it was mine, I would not ride that bike until I had an "expert" hands and eyes on....examine it.
    It does look cracked to me.....and that IS your seat tube we are talking about.
    yes,

Look at the tiny spot in the tube where the paint has gone. The crack continues on the bare tube.

TS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Since you've got the area clear of parts, try placing your fingers of one hand over the braze-on while supporting the bike by the seat with the other hand. Place your foot on the crank arm or on the crankset at the bottom bracket area and PUSH. See if you can feel any movement, like the crack is moving. That might give you a better clue. Another option would be to clean the area well, then remove the crankset and bottom bracket and brush the inside of the seat tube or pour some machinist's crack detecting dye. If it leaks through to the outside, there ya' go.

GroupID=CRACKTESThttp://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...upID=CRACKTEST

Frog Whisperer
    it's cracked.................fill the seat tube with water I bet it leaks on the crack
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    The seat tube is CRACKED and dangerous to ride. I don't know anything about Aussie repair facilities. Here you could always send it to http://www.calfeedesign.com/ but there I don't know.

DO NOT RIDE that bike. And I'm speaking as someone that is still healing a year after a fork broke.

aussie
    Jan 2007
    sorry, i've been away and unable to reply.

Well, it seems that you have confirmed my worst fears. fortunately, there is a 5-year warranty on the frame so (i hope) there'll be no major dramas getting it replaced.

Thank you all very much for your imput and suggestions, it has certainly helped me determine the extent of the problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    looks like the rivets may have worked loose and the movement has cracked the paint and maybe the tube. Hope you have a spare frame to ride while this one is getting attended to. Then again it is winter down there , go and watch some footy. Have a pie for me.
    Edit Signature here---------->

aussie
    Jan 2007
    haha, winter down here is not really that... significant. And, for me at least, footy is just a big fight.

I do have another frame.