RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Cross bike or 2nd road bike

I have a complete set of components from my previous bike, which had a cracked frame.

So, I'm looking/thinking about building up a budget "rain bike", Burley puller, fair weather commuter (I have a SS 29er for winter/snow commuting).

I'm torn between getting a cyclocross frame and a relaxed road frame, so either a Motobecane Cross frame or a Soma Smoothie type of frame. We don't have a huge gravel scene here, so the cross frame might be overkill, but we do have a couple of gravel rides a year.

Thoughts? Is a cross frame that much more versatile? I probably need new brakes whichever frame I buy, so that isn't an issue. I have both a 52-42-30 and a 50-36 crankset from my old bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Soma Double Cross or Surly Cross Check. Either would be a fine back up bike, commuter, or rain bike. And can easily be used for gravel grinders or the occasional CX race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    One other thought, I have a 1992 Trek bonded aluminum frame that I could move the parts to as well. But, would that be a really whippy/flexy ride as a rain bike? Probably wouldn't be good for gravel.

Anybody else hang fairly new parts on a 20 year old frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I second the Cross Check. Would your headset and rear frame spacing match on a 20 year old frame for those newer components?

Not Banned

cross bike of course

you can use a cross bike for
    a) commuting
    b) trail riding
    c) adventure riding
    d) road riding
    e) cross racing

a relaxed road bike lacks that versatility
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cross bike, I just built one up amnd am amazed at how much I am riding it. My MT bike is collecting dust, I have not ridden it in over a month. The cross bike has become my go to bike for everything from a quick spin on the trails to a ride with my kids. Very versitile and fun..
    Tomorrows battle is won during today's practice. - Samurai maxim

In the course of achieving anything, nothing is more important than persistence.

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    cross bike! i was in the same dilemna as well and ended up building a 2nd road bike, a caad10. i'm not a crit racer so i rode my gunnar roadie way more and eventually sold the caad10. now i'm building up a gunnar crosshairs.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    if you are happy with the roadie go CX on new purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Cross bike all the way. I did that last year and have a cracker jack commuter, but it's a great back up for fast road riding if I ever need it, just stripping off the unneeded commuting accessories and putting the skinny tires on it. I think it would be an 18 pound bike at most set up for strict road riding. I also have a set of studded tires for early spring/late fall icy shoulders and bike paths riding.

The Nashbar cross frame is a decent set up and a cheap way to get into it. I've also heard very good thngs about the Nashbar touring frame, which will give you very similar functionality.

Another pretty darn nice option, is a Kenesis Crosslight frame and matching Pure CX all carbon fork from PBK. Last year, the combo was a little over $500, but could be had for around $450 or even less shipped if you took advantage of the normal 10-20% PBK discount coupons that are offered from time to time. It's a very light frame and all carbon fork with good geometry and clearances and eyelets for fenders and rack. That fork is something to consider if you are thinking about the Nashbar frame, because the fork they sell is not only a boat anchor, but also has all that disk brake fussiness on it.
    Last edited by Camilo; 04-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.