Thread: Curtlo custom

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member

Curtlo custom

Just built this up. New frame with cobbled parts, my favorite, Centaur shifter, derailluers, chorus brakes, record crank and some wheels from a stripped frame. i'm digging it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curtlo custom-curtlo2b.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice bike, what size is it and did you do custom?
    Tomorrows battle is won during today's practice. - Samurai maxim

In the course of achieving anything, nothing is more important than persistence.

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gotta love Curtlo's....

I've got around 7,000 miles on mine and love it just as much as the day I first got it. Great frames for the money.

Have fun with the new frame and may it bring you many happy miles

BTW...You know you have to give a full report on it after riding it several hundered miles
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks great! I love those curved seatstays, and the colour scheme you've used.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Dude! Clean your room!

BTW sweet, sweet looking ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Really nice bike. Curtlo's website has a price list from '06. Anybody know the current pricing?

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It does have curved seat stays, it's a 50 cm ctc seat tube, 53.2+/- ctc top tube, 72.5 sta, 72 hta. built from S3 steel tubing. Large diameter tubing makes it look like and early Cannondale. the prices posted on Curtlo site are pretty accurate.
    Last edited by cmg; 03-07-2008 at 05:48 AM.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg
    It doses have curved seat stays, it's a 50 cm ctc seat tube, 53.2+/- ctc top tube, 72.5 sta, 72 hta. built from S3 steel tubing. Large diameter tubing makes it look like and early Cannondale. the prices posted on Curtlo site are pretty accurate.

wow, that's a pretty slack STA for such a small frame... def a good reason for custom

Cycling induced anoesis
    It doses have curved seat stays, it's a 50 cm ctc seat tube, 53.2+/- ctc top tube, 72.5 sta, 72 hta. built from S3 steel tubing. Large diameter tubing makes it look like and early Cannondale. the prices posted on Curtlo site are pretty accurate.
    The website mentions ovalized tubing. Are yours? Can't tell from the angle of the pic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Large diameter tubing makes it look like and early Cannondale.
    I don't know how far back your thinking but the Cdale I had WAY larger tubes than those.
    I like! How long was the wait? and how long did you have to wait for him to call you back?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    Really nice bike. Curtlo's website has a price list from '06. Anybody know the current pricing?
    The prices on his web site are still valid...A OX Platnium frame is $755.00 with full custom geometry and tubing sizes. He had just raised the prices when I purchased my Curtlo two years ago.

Awesome prices for the work and frame you get....customer service is a bit lacking, but craftsmanship is great and quality is great.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    The prices on his web site are still valid...A OX Platnium frame is $755.00 with full custom geometry and tubing sizes. He had just raised the prices when I purchased my Curtlo two years ago.

Awesome prices for the work and frame you get....customer service is a bit lacking, but craftsmanship is great and quality is great.
    Thanks for the info. I'm picking up on the lack of customer service - emailed him a couple of weeks ago and no reply. It's the second time. I guess a phone call is in order, but I'm anxious to see the OP's reply to Alex about a call back and lead time. I'm getting to the point of really needing a new bike.

BTW, congrats on the weight loss - way to go!

toomanybikes
    Thanks for the info. I'm picking up on the lack of customer service - emailed him a couple of weeks ago and no reply. It's the second time. I guess a phone call is in order, but I'm anxious to see the OP's reply to Alex about a call back and lead time. I'm getting to the point of really needing a new bike.

My recollection is that i paid just about $1100 for my Curtlo. It was frame, custom steel fork and included an upcharge for special paint.

The bike is great, caanot say enough about it.

From the time I plced my order to delivery was about 6 months But that was a series of coincidences.

There was a show in Seattle ( can't remember whether it was outdoor show , or whatever) and he was displaying at it, then he and his family went on a vacation and then it was christmas.

If I sit back and think about rationally the real delivery time was probably about 4 months, the first two were just lost for any number of reasons.

I got the bike at the end of April in whatever year it was which was perfect timing for the year ahead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Nice bike. I'll be rebuilding my Curtlo Cyclocross frame shortly. I'm just waiting on a few more parts. I never should have stripped it in the first place.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep the S3 tubes are ovalized. at the BB the oval almost goes to the bracket edges. Ordered in early Sept. recieved it this past Tuesday (Sept 3- March 4) . we started talking about the design 2 weeks before Christmas, didn't finalize it until the first week of Jan. interesting part, i went in thinking i was going to get a 75 STA with a 51 top tube with a 8/9cm stem, because i wanted shorter reach and that is what i find on typ. geometry tables, but we got to talking about where i wanted the saddle in relation to the bars and BB, and this came from that disscussion. When i got to this STA most of the other numbers match what i would get when i plug my dimensions into a web site calculator. Most calculators give top tube/seat tube lenghts but not recommended angles. Right now it's set up as per the drawing with a 10cm stem, haven't ridden it. Some things will change, like the bar height, the seatpost, may go to a campy i have and the wheels but right now i'm still looking at it.
    Last edited by cmg; 03-07-2008 at 07:06 AM.

i like whiskey
    Your bike looks great!

I've got a Curtlo cross bike on my list for some point in the future. I've always like the straightforward, no nonsense nature of the frames and paint. Not to mention his pricing is great. His downtube logo is awful though. Bleh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome to the club, great looking bike. I've had my frame since Oct and am loving the ride.

And yes the prices on his site are still correct. I paid $850 for OX platinum and that included an upcharge for paint, I went with panels instead of one solid color.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    My recollection is that i paid just about $1100 for my Curtlo. It was frame, custom steel fork and included an upcharge for special paint.

The bike is great, caanot say enough about it.

From the time I plced my order to delivery was about 6 months But that was a series of coincidences.

There was a show in Seattle ( can't remember whether it was outdoor show , or whatever) and he was displaying at it, then he and his family went on a vacation and then it was christmas.

If I sit back and think about rationally the real delivery time was probably about 4 months, the first two were just lost for any number of reasons.

I got the bike at the end of April in whatever year it was which was perfect timing for the year ahead.
    I placed my order in late February of 2006 and received the bike in mid June. Original quote time was 2 months, but was told there was a tubing delay that caused the wait time to go from 2 months to 4 months.

Total paid for the bike was 2077.00 and that includes the build and shipping costs with Custom Curtlo steel fork, 10 speed Ultegra, special built wheels, Avid disc brakes, etc...
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member

The communication thing with Doug was hit or miss for me. Sometimes I received an e-mail reply the day I sent it, others it might be a week before I got a reply, others no reply at all.

When it actually came time to build my bike is when he had the most communication and e-mails, phone calls, etc...were answered promptly.

I chalk it up to him being a true one man show. He does the building, ordering, bills, e-mails, phone calls, etc...all himself...though he does outsource the paint. That's a lot of job duties for him and I think the craftsmanship is more important than the customer service so that's where he lets things go first. He likely has enough work that he can get away with that, unlike other shops.

Basically, as long as you are OK with it going into the process...it's not a problem. If you don't expect it going in, it's a problem.

BTW...Thanks for the props on the weight loss. I've revised my weight loss goals for the year since I've already achieved the first goals by early March. When I get down to 190, I'll start leveling things off a little since I'll be sitting around 10% body fat at that time (and will be the first time under 200 pounds since the 8th grade!).
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Nice bike. I likee.
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Nice bike!

I had 2 S+S coupled bikes made by Doug last year, sweet bikes.

Where did you get that white/red Specialized Toupe from? I've never seen that colour combo before, I have the red/black on my Curtlo.

Worker Ant
    does that True Temper S3 tubing have a weight limit? i've been wanting to get one of the lighter steel frames but didn't know if they came with a weight limit
    If I'm going to hell, I'm driving the bus!!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by scmaddog17
    does that True Temper S3 tubing have a weight limit? i've been wanting to get one of the lighter steel frames but didn't know if they came with a weight limit
    According to Curtlo's website there is:
    NOTE: Limited frame size and rider weights

I don't know what the restrictions are, but you could call and ask.
    http://curtlo.com/frame_pages/custom_road_S3.html
    Last edited by PJ352; 03-08-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: correction

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 200lbs and when i talked to doug he said the S3 could be used. I think the S3 tubes comes in more than one diameter, larger tubes for heavier riders. The specialized Toupe came off of eBay. I got another one about 6 months ago, put it on a red white colnago master light with white tape, thought it looked cool. still haven't really rode it, around the block a few times on Saturday.