Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel

Here's a shot of a very shiny new Cyfac XCR stainless steel frameset showing our fillet-brazing finish (as desired by the customer). XCR is Columbus' new steel offering, providing a light, dynamic, and incredibly durable frameset for traditional steel fans and new enthusiasts. Stainless steel doesn't have any of the same worries over corrosion that regular steel has and will provide an amazing platform for rain bikes, humid climes, for riders who worry over corrosion!

Cyfac does the fillet-brazing that is painstakingly crafted to lend an exceptional finish that is smooth to the touch and truly exceptional. A huge array of paint finish options and frame set-ups (internal Di2 routing, braze-on mounts for racks/fenders...) are available.

Frame weight is around 1300 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-image-8.jpg   Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-image-7.jpg   Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-image-10.jpg   Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-image-11.jpg   Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-image-6.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    What a beautiful bike. Really shows off the work of the craftsman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What sort of brazing material is Cyfac using?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    What sort of brazing material is Cyfac using?
    Looks like brass brazing. Very nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yuck, I'm not a big fan of seeing the brazing like that. I guess to each his own. The craftsmanship is superb though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    Yuck, I'm not a big fan of seeing the brazing like that. I guess to each his own.
    +1

I think it's hideous, but the OP said "as desired by customer" and I guess customers with no taste pay money just the same. One problem with doing this on polished stainless is that the reflective surface makes the fillets look more uneven than they already are.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I like the look of the brazing It adds a bit of Old School to the super-shiny futuristic sheen of the tubing.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Decrepit Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    Yuck, I'm not a big fan of seeing the brazing like that. I guess to each his own. The craftsmanship is superb though.
    I have to agree. It's a beautiful frame, but the difference in color between the fillets and the polished XCr is a turnoff for me.

The fastback seat stays on this 953 frame are double pass TIG welded, and then dressed and polished, They have the appearance of having been fillet brazed, but with color and polish consistent with the polished stainless tubing.

-Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Cyfac is on my short list of bikes that I'd be interested in owning. Perhaps this approach isn't my style, but it was well executed. You guys are making some really good looking bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the fillet brazed stainless frames I've seen before. I can't tell if this one looks so bad because the brass doesn't polish up like the stainless, or if those joints just aren't contoured as nicely as the others I've looked at. But I think most of them are brushed as to avoid this problem.

This looks good, to me:
    Last edited by Kontact; 11-04-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Big is relative
    I have a fillet brazed frame. I prefer the look, but covered by paint. It makes me wonder how much brazing material was removed to make it look uniform without paint. Firefly and others make beautiful frames from stainless with tiny, uniform weld beads.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the idea of stainless, and I think if it were painted, the brazed portions would be more acceptable. I could picture myself owning one of these, painted to resemble an old gitane, or a systeme U team bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    There are millions of ways to paint the frame to achieve the customer's desired aesthetics.
    Beauty is so subjective and it's up to us to deliver a physical frameset that embodies what a rider wants/needs from a geometric, material, and finish standpoint. Like snowflakes, no two frames are alike and no two riders will want the same paint/weld finish/etc. That's the beauty and magic of the hand-crafted framesets from whichever company, be it Cyfac or someone else. Unlike the mass-produced bikes that are meant to push out a vast quantity of homogenous product, the handmade frameset has its unique characteristics to follow the individual client. That's a special quality to consider.

Here are some other shots with different finishes on the XCR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-dsc02721.jpg   Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-dsc02722.jpg   Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-dsc02720.jpg   Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-dsc_0017.jpg   Cyfac XCR Stainless Steel-dsc_0011.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Looks like a unfinished job .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bouge-bouge View Post
    There are millions of ways to paint the frame to achieve the customer's desired aesthetics.
    Beauty is so subjective and it's up to us to deliver a physical frameset that embodies what a rider wants/needs from a geometric, material, and finish standpoint. Like snowflakes, no two frames are alike and no two riders will want the same paint/weld finish/etc. That's the beauty and magic of the hand-crafted framesets from whichever company, be it Cyfac or someone else. Unlike the mass-produced bikes that are meant to push out a vast quantity of homogenous product, the handmade frameset has its unique characteristics to follow the individual client. That's a special quality to consider.

Any idea what sort of filler rod is being used?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    The weld is what's referred to as "silver". It's actually Ag 56% - Cu 22% - Zn 17%.

the fist
    beauty.
    FlexiSexual

Sleep Expert
    About how much would a frameset like that cost?
    My carbon footprint has cleats

Decrepit Member
    The weld is what's referred to as "silver". It's actually Ag 56% - Cu 22% - Zn 17%.
    That sounds like Fillet Pro.

Those joints are brazed, not welded.
    -Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    beyond beautiful

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Barber View Post
    I like the idea of stainless, and I think if it were painted, the brazed portions would be more acceptable. I could picture myself owning one of these, painted to resemble an old gitane, or a systeme U team bike.
    YES!

I had suggested to Eric that Cyfac should do a "tribute to Fignon" when he passed away last year. A modern reproduction or interpretation of the frames that Fignon rode to wins in Le Tour, Giro, and Milano-Sanremo would be awesome.

So how was Fignon as a customer, Eric? Do some of the Cyfac guys still remember? The older employees must have had to deal with the old Gitane and Systeme U.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Mr Bouge (Eric?) do you have any links to, or pics of a stainless frame built for Di2?

Not Banned

the white

wit red and powder blue says she's about my size and that you should send her to me
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Fignon tribute bike sounds like a cool idea. System U - Yeah!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    ... The fastback seat stays on this 953 frame are double pass TIG welded, and then dressed and polished, They have the appearance of having been fillet brazed, but with color and polish consistent with the polished stainless tubing...
    I look at it the other way. From and industrial design perspective, grinding smooth and painting over brazing gives a final impression of a material that is homogenous and seamless rather than having an obvious joint. Welding is a closer to that ideal than brazing for a number of reasons. Lugs go the other direction in that they celebrate the joint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast