Thread: Decent Cruiser

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Decent Cruiser

I am looking to get a new cruiser bike and I was wondering if anyone could recommend one. I was just googling and I like the look of the Hollandia HOLL-6 Oma 28", however since it is sold at Wal-Mart I don't think the quality is there. I do not like women's frames with the diagonal top tube, it's too hard to carry up and down steps that way, and I don't particularly like super fatty tires either, however I know I could always switch those out if need be. What I do like is for it to be somewhat light, have cruiser bars & single speed or 3 speed with a coaster brake. I have built bikes from scratch in the past and this time I am looking forward to just getting one complete to start with. Thanks for any advice!

waterproof*
    There are lots of low cost fixie / singlespeeds out there. Sure, quality is a trade-off but they are at least functional. Swap out the drop bars for swept-back, maybe a riser stem and fatter saddle, etc.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    There are lots of low cost fixie / singlespeeds out there. Sure, quality is a trade-off but they are at least functional. Swap out the drop bars for swept-back, maybe a riser stem and fatter saddle, etc.
    Thanks for the reply. What you are recommending is pretty much my set up now, a track frame with riser bars & a coaster brake, however the geometry just isn't set up the same for riding upright, and I like the look of the fenders, the rack, etc of the cruiser. Ideally what I want is a complete cruiser without having to swap out all the parts straight from the start.

waterproof*
    ok then, get a complete cruiser... under $200 just about anywhere.... they are all going to be similar quality.

waterproof*
    or if you're will to pay a bit more, look into the Electra line:

Cruiser Bikes | electra bicycle company

or RANS
    Crank Forward Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I was looking for a recommendation of one. Not a cheap one, not too heavy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks. Maybe what I am looking for isn't actually classified as a cruiser, because I like the Ticino Lux on the Elecrtra Bicycle Company site a lot, just wish it came in a color other than brown.

Winner!
    Jan 2012
    Felt makes some really nice ones
    They make over a dozen different models
    Check them out

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Never thought I'd recommend a BD bike, but here goes. Came into a 27-pound Windsor Essex recently (a friend ordered the wrong size for himself) and I really like it. Put a pump and a seat bag on it and have been cruising my race-type bike "training" routes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Great suggestions, thanks everyone! I really like the Cafe series of Felt, and the Windsor Essex is great too. What is a BD bike?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Uh, BD = BikesDirect. Got to run, working at the bike shop this pm....