RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

Deda COM 12.5 vs. Columbus Thron? Differences?

Anyone know the comparison between the two tubesets?
    In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, our El Guapo is the actual El Guapo who is a big, dangerous man that wants to kill us.

Adrenalina Italiana

Deda com 12.5 is new name for zero uno

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    Anyone know the comparison between the two tubesets?
    It's steel and as far as I know,it's the cheaper Dedacciai steel,ranked below EOM 16.5 and SAT 14.5 and it's a little heavier. It's a very nice tubeset that builds up into nice middle of the road frames: medium stiffness,good durability and reasonably light.The tubes are thick enough for lasting durability,but not so thick to add excess weight.

columbus thron is kinda like Reynolds 501 tubing,heavy duty,low end standard steel tubing,medium thick tubeset that would be ideal for touring IMHO.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

toomanybikes
    The difference between Dedacciai 16.5 (Zero) and 12.5 (ZeroUno) is as simple as one is an air hardening steel alloy much like Reynolds 853. This product is Zero or 16.5.

ZeroUno or 12.5 is a non air-hardening alloy much like the Reynolds 653 set.

Theoretically, 16.5 can build a slightly lighter frameset.

That's the only difference between them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    The difference between Dedacciai 16.5 (Zero) and 12.5 (ZeroUno) is as simple as one is an air hardening steel alloy much like Reynolds 853. This product is Zero or 16.5.

ZeroUno or 12.5 is a non air-hardening alloy much like the Reynolds 653 set.

Theoretically, 16.5 can build a slightly lighter frameset.

That's the only difference between them.

12.5 (ZeroUno) and 14.5 (Zero) use the same alloy only 14.5 is heat treated. These are not air-hardening. 16.5 is slightly different and is reputed to have air-hardening qualities. In terms of the gauge of the tubes, 12.5 is thickest (a nice general purpose tubeset), with 14.5 and 16.5 being quite thin. 14.5 comes in a fairly wide range of diameters but 16.5 is only available in super oversize although Dedacciai will special build just about anything if a manufactuer wants enough sets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would choose the Dedacciai tubset over Thron. If I'm not mistaken Thron is generic 25CrMo4 drawn to .6mm, which would put it way at the bottom of the Columbus tube sets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Thron should be slightly heavier than the 12.5 but is a good tubeset about equivalent to the Deda ZeroTre.The Thron is available in a shaped Megatube version that makes for a stiffer frame than the round tubes.I have a semi-compact Marin Portofino made of multi-shaped Thron with a hexagonal down-tube oval top-tube and diamond chain stays.It has carbon wishbone seatstays.For a inexpensive production frame the ride and stiffness are amazingly good but the frame weighs about 0.5 lbs more than a 853,16.5,or a higher end Columbus tubeset.If you are a large,heavy rider there is nothing wrong with Thron especially in the Mega-tube version.
    Last edited by jordan; 08-20-2006 at 09:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    is 16.5 as stiff & light as aluminum frames (in general)?
    there are some heavy low end aluminum frames (4 lbs?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Deda 16.5 will still weigh about 0.5 to 1.0 lbs. more than a similar priced aluminum frame.The stiffness would depend on the design and construction of the frame.At a given price point aluminum frames will nearly always be about 0.5-1.5lbs lighter.The steel frames under 4 lbs begin to have such thin wall sections that they can dent and crumple as easily as a 2.5-3.0 lb alu. frame in a crash.

fmw
    Hoosier Pedaler
    Amazing. One doesn't harden carbon steels with air. One hardens them with a liquid quench. Air hardnened must simply mean that it is a mild or low carbon steel. I can't tell you anything about the tube sets, sorry, other than that I ride one with Dedacciai Com 12.5 and it is the stiffest steel frame I've ever owned or ridden - not that I've ridden all that many of them. Here's my Com 12.5 bike: