RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Dilemma: 2009 SPZ Roubaix Comp vs 2005 Trek Madone 5.9 Aero?

Looking to upgrade from the very old peugot steel 7spd (105/Ultegra upgrades) I currently have...

I've been offered both a 2009 Secialized Roubaix Comp and a 2005 Trek Madone 5.9 Aero at about the same price. The Specialized is v lightly ridden, the previous version of 105 components (5600 series) with Ultegra wheels (though I'll swap the back for a powertap I've just acquired).

The Trek obviously has more miles, Ultegra is apparently the first 10 speed version, 6600, with a new chain and cassette about 150 miles ago, has a very nice project 1 paint job, 'lowish mileage' Bontrager Race XLite wheels with white spokes/red nipples (not sure when these are from, though again I probably wouldn't be using the rear...).

Components wise, they both have the same 'era' (x600 series Shimano, Hollowtech 2 chainset etc), will the Ultegra though more heavily used be better than the almost unused 105?

Framewise - While I'm happy to accept the they are marketed as two different types of frame (one full out race, one 'endurance road'), most of the reviews suggest the Trek has a pretty comfortable, neutral ride and that some of the Roubaix 'soft' ride is due to larger tyres, gel handlebar tape, saddle etc - all things that can easily be swapped. The main difference then is the geometry, with the Trek essentially having a shorter headtube and so possibly more head down posture. Again though there is a reasonable stack of spacers on the Trek and I'm happy to switch to a slightly higher rise stem for really long rides if it increases comfort...

The Trek was US made, top of the range when it came out, the Roubaix frame was 2 down from the top of the Roubaix range in 2009... Have things changed so much in 3/4 years that a mid range 'comfort' frame from last year would be better, lighter, stiffer, faster etc than a top of the range race frame from 2005/6?

Thoughts please!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I would go with the Roubaix. Carbon bikes have come quite along way since 2003, when the frame was designed. Even though the bike is OCLV, the 110 OCLV is not even equivalent to Treks current low end TCT carbon frames in terms of weight and stiffness. This was also not Treks top of the line at the time in 2005, which was the SSL that used OCLV 55 Superlight, not 110. It is a 5 series. The Roubaix is also made using more sophisticated production methods which results in fewer glued joints, and this lowers the weight, increases stiffness, as well as durability. As for geometry the Madone is really not a very aggressive bike, more of a stage racing bike, and the overall differences are fairly minor. Also take into account the Madone does not use in integrated headset, meaning that while the head tube is much shorter the effective HT length is longer because of the bearing cups. You are really looking at a difference of around a half inch depending on the size. In terms of the handling the only difference you will likely notice is that the Madone is set up to be very neutral, whereas the Roubaix has a little more trail.